Kuhn?

D

Deleted member 6794

For all of you thinking Kuhn is overrated because he doesn´t put up huge stats, take a look at the TD on the last drive. While it will be remembered as a great throw by Rodgers to Cobb, this play would have never happened if Kuhn doesn´t block Peppers just enough so Rodgers was able to escape to his left.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Kuhn was amazing on that play. By stopping Peppers from getting to Rodgers. Hes the unsung hero of that game.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn has been a threat out of the back-field for us in passing situations, he got us a KEY 4th down conversion, he was the unsung hero of the Cobb bomb, AND he can can block beit run or pass very well.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn is an overpaid player in an extinct position but steps up when his number is called more times than not.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As the third down back, Kuhn makes a block on an unblocked DE allowing the QB to evade the blitz. Is he the only back on the team that could have made the play? In other words could Lacy / Starks or whoever was in the backfield also make that same decision? I would like to think so. Kuhn just happens to be more reliable in his coaches view at this moment. MM likes his comfort level with certain players.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the third down back, Kuhn makes a block on an unblocked DE allowing the QB to evade the blitz. Is he the only back on the team that could have made the play? In other words could Lacy / Starks or whoever was in the backfield also make that same decision? I would like to think so. Kuhn just happens to be more reliable in his coaches view at this moment. MM likes his comfort level with certain players.
I wouldn't be so sure. Kuhn called an audible that was supposed to signal Bahk to block Peppers instead of blocking down on the blitzing linebacker. Bahk didn't hear it. When the play started, Kuhn was supposed to pick up the blitzer. Kuhn had to recognize immediately that Bahk didn't get the message and react in a split second to get across the formation to get a piece of Peppers, which he did. That's why he is valuable to this team. I don't think Starks or Lacy makes that play because blitz pickups and pass blocking are secondary to them, whereas for Kuhn, that's where he makes his living.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. Kuhn called an audible that was supposed to signal Bahk to block Peppers instead of blocking down on the blitzing linebacker. Bahk didn't hear it. When the play started, Kuhn was supposed to pick up the blitzer. Kuhn had to recognize immediately that Bahk didn't get the message and react in a split second to get across the formation to get a piece of Peppers, which he did. That's why he is valuable to this team. I don't think Starks or Lacy makes that play because blitz pickups and pass blocking are secondary to them, whereas for Kuhn, that's where he makes his living.
I agree.
Kuhn does the little things that only the coaches see.
That's probably in on that particular play, because they could trust him to do the right thing.

OP
OP
Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's paid to much to just be a good pass protector. Those dive plays he gets every now and again anybody can do that...I mean it give me a mill a year and I'll dive forward for the first down if the line gets some push.

In all seriousness though...if he's resigned again it's cause fans like saying Kuuuuuuuuhn! I must admit it's pretty fun

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's still a decent player, and I wouldn't mind at all if he is brought back...but it has to be for the vet minimum or very near it -we can't afford any more than that with having to resign other FA of our own. Kuuuuuuuuuuuuhn

Packers_16-0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I know he's a fan favorite and I know it's totally kewl to say Kuuuuuuhn after one of his two yard runs, but why is this guy still on the roster at over $1 million/year?

Is his special teams play on par Bush? He contributes very little as a FB/RB yet keeps making the roster. I don't understand why.
Did you see the season finale game Packers Vs Bears. In the last play peppers was about to sack Aaron but Kuhn provided some good blocking and dropped peppers so Aaron Rodges won't get sacked Kkkkkuuuuuhhhhhhhnnnnnnn!!!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm tired of seeing him drop balls and have a hard time getting 2 feet after initial contact. Sorry...I've been a giant fan of his since he's been with the team....but his legend has passed his skills at this point. I do think there is tons of value in him knowing the offense so maybe he is worth keeping around... but I sure as hell would rather have a Vonta Leach type guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm tired of seeing him drop balls and have a hard time getting 2 feet after initial contact. Sorry...I've been a giant fan of his since he's been with the team....but his legend has passed his skills at this point. I do think there is tons of value in him knowing the offense so maybe he is worth keeping around... but I sure as hell would rather have a Vonta Leach type guy.

I think the Packers should sign Kuhn to a deal close to the veteran´s minimum. He knows the offense and it would keep the QB happy as well.

Leach had a pretty bad season in Baltimore this year, maybe age has caught up with him by now. But releasing him in 2006 probably wasn´t the best idea in TT´s tenure as the Packers GM.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Kuhn’s importance on offense has increased because of injury to other players. His snaps increased once Finley was lost for the season and again when Rodgers got injured early against the Bears. So if the Packers were healthy on offense, how valuable would Kuhn be? Look at his playing time when they were relatively healthy: As the article mentioned the most snaps he played in any of the first five games was 17. In the huge game to open the season at San Fran, John Kuhn played 15 snaps on offense. 15. He didn’t play a single snap on offense against the Lions and with the game on the line at Baltimore, Kuhn didn’t play a single snap in the 4 minute offense. Kuhn was “so important” to the offense earlier in the season that TEs lined up in the backfield more often than he did. Beyond Kuhn himself, the position of FB on the Packers is so important they don’t carry a backup FB on the active roster. Or even on the practice squad.

As the article says, Kuhn’s value is mainly due to his knowledge of the offense and ability to “help direct the blocking scheme and take pressure off” QBs inexperienced in McCarthy’s offense. He is not a powerful lead blocker. They no longer need or use him much to carry the ball on short yardage. He doesn’t run over defenders on the rare occasions he has the ball. I’m glad Kuhn’s available to assist inexperienced QBs, but some here are exaggerating his value to the team (perhaps because they don’t understand football at all?): Before critical injuries hit the offense, John Kuhn’s main contribution on the team came on special teams.

And how often are we "healthy" on offense? Have we been completely "healthy" for many seasons in a row? No....

We want to complain about a mistake Kuhn made...ok...fine....we love to complain....but when the hell do we really give him props for making critical catches? He had many key catches this season and they came at the most needed times (several key 3rd downs and a couple 4th downs). We want to b*tch about him making the cash that he does, but hardly do we b*tch about guys like the lame *** brad jones making bank and he is basically lost when he is on the field....or riding the pine with an injury.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We (as a group) hardly ***** about the money Brad Jones makes? No, I think you are right in saying we love to ***** and there's been a lot of *****ing about Jones and his salary. BTW, I don't think Jones is as bad as you and others characterize him but IMO it's a moot point because I'd like to see him be replaced if possible.(I think safety is a higher priority.)

Regarding Kuhn, yes he made a great block on Peppers and he can catch the ball out of the backfield and he knows the offense very well (even if he doesn't know the basic rules of special teams ;)). But I will reiterate what I've said before: He is not a good lead blocker and it seems McCarthy is phasing out the FB position. The evidence of that is twofold: 1) At the beginning of the season Kuhn got very limited snaps, and 2) More importantly, there was no backup FB on the team.

I don't think they should re-sign Kuhn unless it's near vet minimum and my guess is he wouldn't accept that. If McCarthy is going to re-emphasize the position I would prefer a Vonta Leach-type battering ram to lead block for Lacy (how'd you like those two barreling at you?) and one who could run over a defender in short yardage. Kuhn is neither of those. And if McCarthy is going to use a FB regularly, they should have a backup at the position.

But my guess is the recent trend in Green Bay of the TEs taking the place of a traditional FB in the backfield will continue. And Lacy, in a single back formation, provides enough of a run threat to keep Ds honest while providing the O with another receiver (as opposed to a FB). And if that's the case, I wouldn't re-sign Kuhn. Don't get me wrong, I don't think re-signing him would be a horrible mistake, I just wouldn't do it for what I'm guessing he would want.

H

HardRightEdge

I strikes me Lacy runs better in short yardage out of spread formations than with a 7 or 8 man line + FB run sell out. I cringe when I see them line up with a "jumbo" line, such as it is, since our guys are not designed for the mano a mano push. Those formations bring everybody into the box and our guys just end up clogging lanes. Better to spread, move defenders out of the box (they must respect Rodgers, after all), and let Lacy find his hole. Lacy should make Kuhn of less value.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

John Kuhn is as tough as they come. He may just be one of the finest blocking backs in the league. If I were A. Rodgers, I'd go to bat for him in a heartbeat. His importance is not running with or catching the football, but blocking for those that run, catch, and/or throw the football. He may not garner the glory, but he does make our stars shine brighter.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He may just be one of the finest blocking backs in the league. ... His importance is not running with or catching the football, but blocking for those that run ...
He is not one of the finest blocking backs in the league in the running game. IMO he's not even average as a lead blocker.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Kuhn is as tough as they come. He may just be one of the finest blocking backs in the league. If I were A. Rodgers, I'd go to bat for him in a heartbeat. His importance is not running with or catching the football, but blocking for those that run, catch, and/or throw the football. He may not garner the glory, but he does make our stars shine brighter.

? Do you watch NFL other than the Packers? Kuhn knows the offense. Kuhn understands protection. Kuhn knows how to leak out in space like the vet he is. Kuhn is not however "one of the finest blocking backs in the league".

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

? Do you watch NFL other than the Packers? Kuhn knows the offense. Kuhn understands protection. Kuhn knows how to leak out in space like the vet he is. Kuhn is not however "one of the finest blocking backs in the league".

Opinions Sir, are like noses, we all have one. You are as entitled to your opinion as I or anyone else in this forum or America.

OP
OP
Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can be had for very minimum ore near it keep him...if he wants much more gotta let him go. Too many important players to keep/holes to fill.