Kuhn...

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone please explain why he's still on the roster, scheduled to make $2.35M this season!?! That is atrocious. If there isn't a cap hit, there is no reason for him on our roster. We could devote that valuable money in order to up our price to get S. Jax. That's a no brainer!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree in a heart beat that Kuhn is over-paid. However, the idea that 2.3 million is going to be the difference between getting Jackson and not getting Jackson is crazy.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I can agree that every little bit of $$ will help, but you have to see Kuhn for all the smaller things he does rather than his actual production when he does get a hand off. Kuhn blocks pretty well imo, and he can and will catch out of the back field without drops. I also agree that he does cost to much, maybe he can restructure his deal. He knows our system inside and out and is football smart and tough.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally a Kuhn thread hahaha. Yeah, he's been a good effort player, but he is overpaid playing a position that there are a lot of alternatives for. I've said Ryan Grant could play FB, and some don't like that, but he could handle pass blocking as good as Kuhn or better because of his agility, and of course be a significantly better threat as a receiver and runner. All of that is also true of Alex Green if he is not one of the top two RBs in the rotation. Also, it was pointed out that our TEs take a lot of snaps at FB also. Taylor in particular seems more physical than Kuhn and should be at least, a better receiver. I've even seen Finley lined up at FB. For 2.35 million, Kuhn could and should be replaced.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn is a serviceable run blocker, not a good one. His value is special teams and pass protection. If someone else on the roster can pass protect as well as he can (Green should be able to, good size, needs "want to". Harris has "want to," we'll see if he actually "can do." If we sign him, Jackson can do.) I suspect Kuhn will be cut. Similarly, if we had someone like Jackson, a battering ram fullback would be more valuable.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Kuhn has already been replaced at FB by Taylor and Williams. He's a 30 year old 3rd down blocker in a system that puts a premium on reps. Sign Hillis or Brandon Jackson cheap and I drop this last year of his contract, otherwise he stays. Green needs another year before he can be that blocker.

M

mayo44

I've said Ryan Grant could play FB, and some don't like that, but he could handle pass blocking as good as Kuhn or better because of his agility,

Agility has been one of Grant's weak points his entire career.

I'd sooner see Tom Crabtree at FB than Grant.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Kuhn and he has been a nice player for a few years but he can't gain a yard to save his life. Crabtree is better than him right now and he isn't even a fullback. Its time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In our offense and with our OL, a RB that can pass block is the most important player on the field aside from our QB. I don't even think that I listed Kuhn for a roster spot in the running backs thread. I'd much rather save the money and find a young dude that understands his only chance of making the roster is by excelling at taking out pass rushers.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People were ranting and raving about having horrible special teams but are cavalier about cutting a core guy on every one of them as well as the punt protector. It's easy to say "just git sum yung hungry guys in there to hit sum one!" but guess what, it's not that easy.

Also, Kuhn IS their best blitz pick up guy, it's not close, and it hasn't been since Bjacks left. This is a team that had both Quinn Johnson and Vonta Leach on the team and cut them both; THEY DON'T WANT A BIG BATTERING RAM FULLBACK. They want a guy who can take the occasional carry, catch a few passes, make a few lead blocks and then pick up the blitz. They also need him to be good on special teams to free up other roster spots (Johnson, for example, could never find the field on special teams) and know the system.

2.3 mil sounds like a bit much, but the people who really understand what he contributes seems to think that's at least close to an acceptable number, so I'm not going to complain. Now, if he blows some assignments and stops giving hell on special teams, cut him right away. No question about it.

H

HardRightEdge

Kuhn's like Bush...the coaches and management just like having them around. I recall Murphy making an out-of-town public appearance right after the Super Bowl win and Kuhn was there representing the squad.

Somebody here recently characterized them here as "a*s kissers". Others might say company men.

It's not a bad idea to have a couple of vets who provide some leadership to the bottom half of the roster...guys who can demonstrate what it takes to be productive in limited roles, stay in the league, and work for a shot at regular snaps without *****ing.

I'm a lot more concerned about the positions where we don't have 3 down players. Less so who's an upgrade at fullback in what is primarily a single back offense so as to save $1 mil. MM is allowed a couple of small indulgences until he's comfortable moving on.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd offer him veteran minimum or kick rocks. Total waste of cash. I cringe every time we decide to hand it to our least talented back in crucial short yardage situations. He's a decent pass blocker, not a special one. He's a pretty good special teamer too, but he's not the super Tasmanian devil special teams machine that some people seem to believe for whatever reason. He has definitely made some great plays in his time here, but he's an overpaid, aging overachiever at this point.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for special teams, but role is largely for young guys. We've got TWO players largely on the roster for special teams in Bush and Kuhn. The problem is that Kuhn doesn't get a ton of game reps anymore, so his pass blocking skills remain on the sidelines with him

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for special teams, but role is largely for young guys. We've got TWO players largely on the roster for special teams in Bush and Kuhn. The problem is that Kuhn doesn't get a ton of game reps anymore, so his pass blocking skills remain on the sidelines with him
Unfortunately that's where those skills belong, on the bench. There is no respect for the run when he's in, and rightfully so.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we didn't get S. Jax, knowing Kuhn is getting $2.35M is only making me angrier. Say what you will about S. Jax and his age/mileage, but he'd certainly be a bigger impact than Kuhn at only a minor increase in cap costs. Plus, I completely disagree that Kuhn is this ST savant warranting this contract as if he's Jarrett Bush. He's completely replaceable on ST with younger legs.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People were ranting and raving about having horrible special teams but are cavalier about cutting a core guy on every one of them as well as the punt protector. It's easy to say "just git sum yung hungry guys in there to hit sum one!" but guess what, it's not that easy.

Also, Kuhn IS their best blitz pick up guy, it's not close, and it hasn't been since Bjacks left. This is a team that had both Quinn Johnson and Vonta Leach on the team and cut them both; THEY DON'T WANT A BIG BATTERING RAM FULLBACK. They want a guy who can take the occasional carry, catch a few passes, make a few lead blocks and then pick up the blitz. They also need him to be good on special teams to free up other roster spots (Johnson, for example, could never find the field on special teams) and know the system.

2.3 mil sounds like a bit much, but the people who really understand what he contributes seems to think that's at least close to an acceptable number, so I'm not going to complain. Now, if he blows some assignments and stops giving hell on special teams, cut him right away. No question about it.

Early reports are that Steven Jackson signed for 4M/year... John Kuhn is going to make $2.3M this year. That's the problem.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically could have had Jackson for about 2m per year by cutting Kuhn. That's bargain bin pricing. Maybe the plan is to release him and extend Raji or someone. The plan can't be to spend $2.3m to have John Kuhn on your roster, that wouldn't make sense the way Ted works. Who knows though, maybe Ted just didn't want to spend any money on SJax for whatever reason. I did see a picture today of Jackson being tackled by KGB and Hannible Navies, which says a lot about his age.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Anyone know what type of offer to Jax was on the table? Atl gave him 3YR/12Mil. That had to be close to what we woulda offered........maybe he didn't want to play out in the cold......maybe the thought of staying on an artificial turf was more appealing.....maybe the big city is more suited to his taste. I love speculations.

H

HardRightEdge

Anyone know what type of offer to Jax was on the table? Atl gave him 3YR/12Mil. That had to be close to what we woulda offered........maybe he didn't want to play out in the cold......maybe the thought of staying on an artificial turf was more appealing.....maybe the big city is more suited to his taste. I love speculations.

Sure. Maybe he saw ATL as closer to winning a SB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So why do people hate on him?

He doesnt demand the ball on 3rd and short...He is best pass blocker for a rb we have

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

You dug up a dinosaur thread so you could say that?

I brought this thread back to remind us that quality does not need to be flashy, or self glorifying. John Kuhn is on the 2013 Packers because he is the best blocking RB on the team. He gets an occasional handoff, it keeps defences honest and John can still pound the line for another runner. His greatest value is pass blocking for our superstar QB. He has been and still remains an important part of the team. The Packers are lucky to have him.

Members online

Latest posts