Kuhn clearing way to more field time

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fullback impressing coaches with effort
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Dec. 6, 2007

Green Bay - The block that Green Bay Packers fullback John Kuhn laid on Dallas linebacker Akin Ayodele is the kind that will earn him more playing time.

Kuhn's 2½-year transition from college lead back to NFL fullback has reached a point where the Packers are seeking more opportunities for him in the offense. His lead block on Ryan Grant's 62-yard touchdown run was just one example of what he can offer.

"He's made a nice contribution with not a ton of snaps," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "Each game is different, and it depends on our multiple-wideout sets, but we may want to increase his role. It's not a knock on Korey Hall. We like what we see in both of them."

Kuhn, however, gives the Packers a bigger hammer than Hall, the 236-pound converted linebacker who won the starting job in training camp. Hall is a good fit for the zone run game because he has quick enough feet to adjust on the run and still carry out his block.

At 250 pounds, Kuhn delivers a punch when he takes on linebackers, which makes him a good fit for the short-yardage running game. It was third and 1 when Grant ran off of Kuhn's block for his long touchdown.

But Kuhn's ability to take on bigger players and function in close quarters might become more useful in the coming weeks, as the weather gets worse and the Packers need to run the ball into the teeth of the defense.

"I thought last week was his best week since he's been here," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "Korey's gone through some injuries and John has made the most of his opportunities. As the season progresses, he'll probably play some more. But Korey is still our guy. He gets it done."

Kuhn rushed for 4,685 yards and 53 touchdowns at Shippensburg University (Pa.) before joining the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005 and then being claimed on waivers by the Packers at the start of this season. He finally is feeling as though he's a fullback, although he sometimes reminds Bennett that if he needs an extra running back, he's available.

"I think it's coming around," Kuhn said of future opportunities. "I'm just trying to fit in where I can."

Bummed out
It would have been worse if he were in line to start Sunday, but backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers was still disappointed that his fine performance against the Cowboys was followed up by a pulled hamstring in practice Tuesday.

Rodgers missed practice again Wednesday and will give up his No. 2 spot to the recently-signed Craig Nall. He doesn't know how long he'll be out, because it's his first hamstring pull.

"I'm not sure of the major cause of it," Rodgers said. "I pride myself in being flexible. I stretch all the time. I've got time to rehab and hopefully I'll be ready in the last couple of games."

In the mix
Cornerback Will Blackmon, who looked to be the team's primary returner before breaking his thumb in the third exhibition game, may get a shot to line up on returns again.

Blackmon returned to action last week after missing seven games with a broken foot, and has been alternating with Tramon Williams on punt returns and Williams and Koren Robinson on kickoffs. Blackmon's primary competition is Williams, because Robinson is going to be on the kickoff team, no matter what.

"It depends on who's up," special teams coach Mike Stock said of the 45-man game-day roster. "But he (Blackmon) is a candidate for both elements."

Injury report
Quarterback Brett Favre took about 70% of the throws in practice, but did not air it out to see how his arm would respond.

"He didn't really have to," coach Mike McCarthy said. "But I thought he threw the ball well."

Cornerback Charles Woodson (toe) took part in the jog-through and did some running on the treadmill, but is still a big question mark for Sunday. There's a chance Woodson will practice today, but if he doesn't, Jarrett Bush will probably get the start.

McCarthy said it would be his decision, with counsel from Woodson and the medical staff, as to whether Woodson plays.

Defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila took part in the full practice, which was conducted in full pads, and appears ready to play. Guard Junius Coston (ankle) had two good days of practice, according to Philbin, and appears closer to full strength.

Right tackle Mark Tauscher (ankle) returned and took part in the entire practice. Linebacker Tracy White (ankle) did not participate. Tight end Bubba Franks (knee) had limited participation.

Weather drill
Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said that he called his father, Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, to get advice about playing in the cold in Green Bay.

"He had all the answers," Kiffin said. "Then I remembered, 'Wait, you went 0-17 in your first 17 games that were under 40 degrees.' So he's got ideas, but I don't know that they're very good ones. He said be ready for Warren (Sapp) to have 10 layers of clothing on. He said it's a sight just to watch him dress and get ready for the game."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed this, and I felt a bit of pride due to me using him a lot in Madden(shaddup). I'm glad he is doing well with his oppurtunity. He has a bit of a mean streak it seems, and I like it.

good article, heather

Staff online

Members online