Koren Robinson Cut..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Seems logical.. other than roster room.. why not hold onto him and make a training camp cut / trade if someone is really needing a WR.. Or maybe it is just a nice move to let Koren explore his own opportunities..

That is if the rumor is true..

KOREN TO BE CUT?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 9, 2008, 2:37 p.m.
A league source tells us that the Green Bay Packers are planning to release receiver Koren Robinson. The move could come as soon as today.

Per the source, the Packers hope to go younger at the position. They recently added Jordy Nelson in the 2008 draft, and the roster already features young players like Greg Jennings and James Jones.

Per the source, the team initially gave Robinson an opportunity to line up a trade, but other teams apparently have opted to wait for him to be cut.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFTalk Rumor.. Koren to be Cut..

I could see the Packers wanting to be nice and let him maximize his options.

He was a perfect citizen for us and if he's not in our future let's try to repay him with a little assistance.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow. I am surprised... Has KoRo really lost that much of his step, or are the Packers no longer convinced that he can stay on the straight and narrow?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PFTalk Rumor.. Koren to be Cut..

Wow. I am surprised... Has KoRo really lost that much of his step, or are the Packers no longer convinced that he can stay on the straight and narrow?

He's still a solid WR who can contribute as high as a good #2 WR on a lot of teams. I'm wishing the guy best. It's just we're deep at WR and I think there's plenty of truth that we do want to go young at our WR position.

If you look at what we have now - Driver, Jennings, Jones, R Martin, and Jordy, besides Driver, we're pretty young at WR.

When Favre retired, I kind of knew K-Rob's days as a Packer were limited.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe it's no longer worth the risk that he'll stay on the straight and narrow?

Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Nelson are guaranteed spots. Plus we have Martin and Swain. So it is very crowded.

Among Martin and Robinson, I think Rodgers has a special relationship with Martin.

But this could all be BS.

EarthQuake

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wasnt really all that impressed with him last year, he just didnt seem up to nfl standards as a reciever anymore, he was great on kickoffs but that was about it. Favre really forced a lot of balls to him and he didn't do much with it. From what i rembemer anyway, maybe i'm off base here. In my mind Martin played as good or better than Koren and has way more upside. Anyway looks like our WR core is:

Driver
Jennings
Jones
Nelson
Martin

And that looks DAMN good to me at this point. It will be interesting to see jones/nelson fight for that #3 spot. Its funny to think about how great our wr's were last year, and on paper i think you could say they've gotten better now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

johnny_blood said:
Maybe it's no longer worth the risk that he'll stay on the straight and narrow?

Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Nelson are guaranteed spots. Plus we have Martin and Swain. So it is very crowded.

Among Martin and Robinson, I think Rodgers has a special relationship with Martin.

But this could all be BS.

Good call.
Completely forgot about Rodgers and Martin.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score

he has a bone-to-bone injury in his knee, not a good thing to have for a receiver, Ruvell Martin has been good and improving in addition he's a big target for our QB at 6'4".

I prefer Martin over Robinson at this point in Robinson's career. We'll have a young and deep group at WR. Donald Driver will be the veteran leader and he'll be joined by Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Martin. Pretty good group of receivers in my opinion. It really amazing how Thompson managed to turn this group around, it's not a long time ago since we only had Driver as a legitimate receiver, Antonio Chatman was our #2 and Ferguson our #3...

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

he has a bone-to-bone injury in his knee, not a good thing to have for a receivers, Ruvell Martin has been good and improving in addition he's a big target for our QB at 6'4".

I prefer Martin over Robinson at this point in Robinson's career. We'll have a young and deep group at WR. Donald Driver will be the veteran leader and he'll be joined by Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Martin. Pretty good group of receivers in my opinion. It really amazing how Thompson managed to turn this group around, it's not a long time ago since we only had Driver as a legitimate receivers, Antonio Chatman was our #2 and Ferguson our #3...

I cant believe I agree with this. But I do.

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hmmm, I wonder where all the people that thought I was nuts about him not being with the team in my statement of the team and draft thread awhile back. Who knows with Florio reporting, but it wouldn't surprise me. In all seriousness I do wish Koren the best. He seems to have got his life straightened out and with alcoholism that is not easy.

:)

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hmmm, I wonder where all the people that thought I was nuts about him not being with the team in my statement of the team and draft thread awhile back. Who knows with Florio reporting, but it wouldn't surprise me. In all seriousness I do wish Koren the best. He seems to have got his life straightened out and with alcoholism that is not easy.

You made that argument before Favre retired. Without him on the team, it wasn't too hard to predict that Koren wouldn't be here anymore.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good luck Koren! Im sure it wont take long until he is snapped up. The downside to having a good team is that sometimes good players get away.

Reaction score

I think it's more of the former than the latter.

As Bertram said, Robinson's bone-on-bone knee injury was pretty tough last year, he had to miss a ton of practice time last year.

When K-Rob saw action as a WR, he rarely made defenders miss and struggled to get YAC, which our WRs are counted on mainly.

Even as a KR, K-Rob didn't seem all the effective, he was average at best. Most of the damage on returns (kick and punt) were done by either Tramon Williams or Will Blackmon.

Based on reports this off-season that the Packers were looking into signing a #4/5 WR that could return kicks, I'm guessing this move has been planned for some time now. At least we now know why players like WR Tab Perry were on the Packers' radar.

I wish K-Rob all the best, and I do think he should easily catch on with another team. You can't really find a bad/negative thing about him during his time as a Packer, and hopefully that will help ease some worries about Koren.

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

packersfan4life said:

You made that argument before Favre retired. Without him on the team, it wasn't too hard to predict that Koren wouldn't be here anymore.
I'm not really sure what Favre had to do with the decision. If anything I think Favre tried to force the ball to him too much late in the season. I was only giving you guys a hard time. Don't worry about it.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Koren as a Packer, although he didn't do much, he did what he said he would do. As long as he doesn't play in the NFC North I wish him well.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
That is it AADP.. your off the Xmas list due to changing the thread name.. :shock: :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him well.......(as long as it's not against us)
I liked the guy, but we are stacked at WR, and someone had to go. And i like Martin, and didn't want him to go. Martin is young and developing into a good WR. Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Martin. Looking good!

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get this from a buisness standpoint. We have no definite #1 return man on our team. I think we should have held on to K-Rob just because we know he can get it done on returns. Tramon Williams and Blackmon haven't proved enough to me to justify cutting Koren. The Bears have shown how having a great return man can turn games around.

From a personal standpoint, I can see the move. K-Rob had no future in GB. He's approaching 30 and its fair to let him go to another team and try to earn one last contract. I just hope the Bears or Cowboys don't sign him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping he would stay..I really want to see him succeed

We do have someone here that is his agent or something right?

Maybe he can shed some light on it

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get this from a buisness standpoint. We have no definite #1 return man on our team. I think we should have held on to K-Rob just because we know he can get it done on returns. Tramon Williams and Blackmon haven't proved enough to me to justify cutting Koren. The Bears have shown how having a great return man can turn games around.

From a personal standpoint, I can see the move. K-Rob had no future in GB. He's approaching 30 and its fair to let him go to another team and try to earn one last contract. I just hope the Bears or Cowboys don't sign him.
I think they might use Jordy Nelson on returns. Look at his film on Youtube. He has some nifty moves!

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad that they kept Martin over Robinson. I really liked Martin this last year, when he got a chance to make a play he usually came up with it. If he can develop further he will be a real threat, especially in the red zone with his height.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
I really liked Martin this last year, when he got a chance to make a play he usually came up with it.

Like that crucial drop in the NFC championship game. Sorry, had to do it.

Members online

Latest posts