Koren Robinson Brought In For "Little Chat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Koren Robinson does get one last chance in the NFL, it could very well be with the Green Bay Packers because of his relationship with general manager Ted Thompson.

The troubled wide receiver, who visited the Packers earlier this week, was cut by the Minnesota Vikings Aug. 26 after his arrest 11 days earlier on six counts of drunken driving and fleeing a police officer after a high-speed chase back to the team's training-camp headquarters in Mankato, Minn.

Robinson, who'd had numerous alcohol-related problems in the past and was suspended for four games in 2004 for violating the league's substance abuse policy, appeared to have turned his life around. Now, he's facing a possible one-year NFL suspension in addition to his legal problems because this incident could constitute a third violation of the NFL policy.

Nevertheless, Thompson, who picked Robinson ninth overall for the Seattle Seahawks in the 2001 NFL draft and pushed hard to sign him last fall after the Vikings released him before the regular-season opener, brought in Robinson to meet with coach Mike McCarthy, receivers coach Jimmy Robinson and personnel analyst John Schneider, who was in Seattle with Thompson when the team drafted him.

"I just have a long history with Koren and wanted to bring him in, have a little chat, see how he's doing," Thompson said Tuesday.

Said McCarthy: "I was impressed with him as a person. It was a good visit. It was a situation where he has strong relationships with some people in the building and we just wanted to sit down and talk with him."

The Packers could sign Robinson even with the suspension hanging over his head because, should he be suspended, he would be able to play while waiting for his appeal to be heard. That tends to be a slow process and Robinson could play the whole season before knowing his fate.

The Packers currently have four wide receivers on the roster. A source said Thompson and his staff are acutely aware of the potential public-relations hit they could take if they sign Robinson, but at the same time, there is a feeling Robinson was on the right path and had a setback, as many alcoholics do.

Word of Robinson's visit came to light because the Packers were required by NFL rules to register his visit with the league office.

Asked if he'd have preferred to have kept Robinson's under wraps, Thompson said, "No, no. If I didn't want it to get out, I wouldn't have brought him in because you have to report it to the league office. I just wanted to see how he was doing. And he seems to be doing fine."

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point it looks like TT is going to go into the season with 4 WR's. Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts