Koren Next?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2605039

This guy was serving a four game suspension, was caught drinking and driving and his suspension was extended to the entire year.

He was nailed Monday after the Steelers lost to the Bengals and is now suspended for the year.

Why has this not happened to Koren? Didn't Koren have a four game suspension already?

is it because koren hasn't had his court date yet? if thats the case, did Odell have his court date?

this is really confusing me

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He's looking good, I am not jinxing him. Just merely not understanding.

What's the difference?

Odell already was serving a suspension and Koren wasn't?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason I see the NFL allowing Koren Robinson to play this entire year and then suspending him all of next year. Then next year as the contract states, the year will not count towards the contract and he'll have a one year deal left.

That's just my guess right now. Even if he does get suspended he can appeal it and extend his playing time this year.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
For some reason I see the NFL allowing Koren Robinson to play this entire year and then suspending him all of next year. Then next year as the contract states, the year will not count towards the contract and he'll have a one year deal left.

That's just my guess right now. Even if he does get suspended he can appeal it and extend his playing time this year.

All this has been said numerous times. I know this. Thanks for restating it for those who have missed it.

My question is this.

Odell was caught drinking and driving, had his four game suspension turned into a season long suspension.

Koren served a four game suspension and is facing a season long suspension after he was caught drinking and driving.

Odell was caught monday, Koren was caught a month or so ago. Odell is already suspended for the entire season where Koren is not. Why?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is maybe Odell decided not to fight it. Maybe they got him on film puking on the cops shoes, so he figured "what the hell, I ain't beating this rap".

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
HARMONIZING THURMAN, ROBINSON SITUATIONS

Plenty of readers have asked us how in the world Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman was so swiftly and abruptly suspended for one year for violating the substance abuse policy while Packers receiver Koren Robinson is still playing football despite basically engaging in the same conduct.

Thurman had been serving a four-game suspension for violation of the substance abuse policy. Within days after a DUI arrest, the suspension was extended to a full season.

Robinson served a four-game suspension in 2004, and per published reports he still was in Stage Three of the program. Thus, one more violation of the policy should trigger a one-year banishment. In August, Robinson was arrested for DUI, reckless driving, and felony fleeing after leading police on a lengthy chase at speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.

As far as we can tell, the difference in the situations arises from the specific restrictions placed on Thurman when his four-game suspension was imposed. There often is negotiation between the league, the NFLPA, and the player when the time comes to imposing discipline under the substance abuse policy. Just like a criminal prosecution or any other legal proceeding, it often makes sense to resolve a situation informally. It provides certainty, and it frees up all interested parties to work on and worry about other things.

In this case, our guess is that there was a agreement between Thurman and the league that if he made one more false move his four-game suspension automatically would be extended to a full season. There's simply no other way that it all could have happened so swiftly. The most telling point in this regard, in our view, is that Thurman hasn't been banished for a full year as of Wednesday. Instead, Thurman is getting credit for the three games he already has missed (and the fourth one he would have missed anyway on Sunday) as part of the total 16-game suspension.

We're not saying that Robinson won't ultimately be suspended for a year. The wheels very well might be in motion. But, in Thurman's case, we think that the ball was already on the tee.

Meanwhile, it remains to be seen whether Thurman will be welcome in Cincinnati, if/when he is reinstated to the NFL. His locker has been cleaned out and reassigned, and coach Marvin Lewis says, "We've told him not to be around here."

And it's not as if reinstatement is a lock. Thurman needs to comply with random testing requirements and other aspects of his treatment plan during his banishment. If he fails, the suspension will be extended -- just as it was for running back Onterrio Smith.

Members online

Latest posts