Kill the head and the body will follow,

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard him say that too and felt the same way,guess he's upset because he only got 1 ring and can't play any more.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
When you constantly put pressure on a quarterback, they are bound to make huge mistakes.

He said that about Favre in the NFC Championship and he was right. They couldn't get it done with him after they gave him the beating of his life.

I actually miss watching Sharper play, he was one of my favorite corner backs.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Funny you think so Bogie. They keep hammering Rodgers and he's not giving up huge mistakes. He's given up a couple of minor ones but nothing huge.
Funny you mention they said the same thing about BrInt and it was so. What then does that say about a QB who beats the cliches about his play? Everyone has been trying to figure out a way to beat this guy and the champs. So far, nobody really knows despite the old adages.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When you constantly put pressure on a quarterback, they are bound to make huge mistakes.

He said that about Favre in the NFC Championship and he was right. They couldn't get it done with him after they gave him the beating of his life.

I actually miss watching Sharper play, he was one of my favorite corner backs.

*Da Hardest hittin' safety in da league

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Stylez; There is a picture of Tollefson doing the belt in another thread. I love the continually growing wall of shame on your sig!

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest I thought he was spot on with what he was saying, I actually really liked that interview, thought he was pretty honest about everything.

He didn't say the chiefs were going to do it either, just that he thought if any could do it, they had the defensive weapons to execute a plan like that.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P.s when he was talkin about the vikings championship he should have said ''kill the knees and ankles and the body will follow'' because that's what they were doin all game, dirty bastards

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
wow, what an epiphany, a stroke of analytical genius, for just a moment I felt like i was seeing into the mind of god. Take out ARoge and the Packers offense comes to a halt. I guess that's why they pay him all that money.

Wait, didn't Flynn drive the field for a TD. Hmmmmmm

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sharper? There's more NFL footage of that guy trailing receivers in the endzone than any other I can think of. Personally, I thought Sharper was severely overrated ... just my opinion. I referred to him as The Matador when he was in Green Bay...the guy was all talk and very limited substance. Yeah..yeah... Pro Bowls ... blah blah blah... I know, I know...

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Funny you think so Bogie. They keep hammering Rodgers and he's not giving up huge mistakes. He's given up a couple of minor ones but nothing huge.
Funny you mention they said the same thing about BrInt and it was so. What then does that say about a QB who beats the cliches about his play? Everyone has been trying to figure out a way to beat this guy and the champs. So far, nobody really knows despite the old adages.

It don't matter how good the quarterback is, you keep pressure on them, they are bound to start making mistakes. Constant blitzing pressure makes a quarterback do some stupid things, not just Favre, in history it's happened to many HoF quarterbacks. It's easy to single Favre out, but he's one of many that do it. Peyton Manning made some dumb decisions when he was getting pressured (Super Bowl interception) and when Kurt Warner got his brains knocked out enough times, he also forced the ball around, it even goes back to when QB's didn't get treated like they do today, as good as Roger Staubach was, there's no way the Steelers would have beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl had they not constantly kept blitzing him and putting him on the ground, which resulted in him forcing the ball out quicker than he wished to, cause he was about to get slammed to the ground. The thing about Favre is, if you knocked him around enough, he started making dumb decisions, so Sharper has a point from the defensive mind. The Steelers from the 70's taught us that's how you give a quarterback their worst nightmare.

D

Dan115

It don't matter how good the quarterback is, you keep pressure on them, they are bound to start making mistakes. Constant blitzing pressure makes a quarterback do some stupid things, not just Favre, in history it's happened to many HoF quarterbacks. It's easy to single Favre out, but he's one of many that do it. Peyton Manning made some dumb decisions when he was getting pressured (Super Bowl interception) and when Kurt Warner got his brains knocked out enough times, he also forced the ball around, it even goes back to when QB's didn't get treated like they do today, as good as Roger Staubach was, there's no way the Steelers would have beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl had they not constantly kept blitzing him and putting him on the ground, which resulted in him forcing the ball out quicker than he wished to, cause he was about to get slammed to the ground. The thing about Favre is, if you knocked him around enough, he started making dumb decisions, so Sharper has a point from the defensive mind. The Steelers from the 70's taught us that's how you give a quarterback their worst nightmare.

YES, even Brady makes mistakes when he is hit a few times.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I do think our biggest challenge is going to be a team that blitzes very frequently.

Rodgers does handle pressure better than most quarterbacks, don't get me wrong about that, but it comes down to protecting him.

I've been thinking about the NFC Championship from 2009 quite a lot lately, (cause the Favre fans down South are still quite hung up on how vicious and dirty the Saints man handled him and how oh the Vikings were robbed by the refs). The very first play of that game, he had to throw out of bounds cause they were chasing him and nearly got him. Every time he released the ball, they still slammed into him, they kept Favre under lock down that entire game, he was getting his brains knocked out on every play.

A good example of Favre's Jekyl and Hyde is the Wild Card game we lost to Minnesota when he had 4 interceptions. There's still a video of it on Youtube I believe, and you see where the Vikings sacked him a few times and knocked the living crap out of him early in the game, he was never the same after the hits he took in that game, he started throwing picks, forcing the ball around, cause they had messed him up. The Saints did the exact same thing to him, Favre took the beating of his life in that game, and him being 40 years old surely didn't make it any better.

One big difference I like about McCarthy is even when Rodgers is under pressure, he has been trying to run the ball more. In the Giants game, even though it wasn't useful without Starks, he kept it on the ground, which opened up the play action passes. Sometimes play action can really throw a defense off and lead to big plays. Favre also had a big problem forcing the ball around when someone dropped his passes, as many times as Finley dropped it against the Giants, Rodgers still trusted to throw it a safer place rather than force it in double coverage like Favre did. That right there is why I think even with blitzing him, it creates problems, but he can still find a way out of it.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the premise of hitting the QB produces mistakes. I"m saying it isn't as simple as you make it sound. It's pretty obvious if you take the QB out of the game he'll be less effective.
Blitzing by the way Bogie is a double edged sword as is keeping in max protect. If you blitz and the offense picks is up you have a man free. IF you max protect the defense has a chance to double one attacker on two defenders. This also gives the "D" one man free.
YOur premise of the "Blitzing pressure" is false, it's only effective if it gets to the QB. Same with 3 or 4 or 5 man fronts, it's not a thing you can put your finger on and say it will work. THE Packers protect against all of these defensive alignments and that is the point of my post. NO matter what defense the opponents have thrown at him this year Rodgers has beat. Some are more effective than others but there is no one way to attack the PAckers offense and win.
What you want is to win the pressure battle and maintain coverage. That is something no team as been able to do this year against the Packers offense. So yea, you're right, pressure causes problems for offenses, but you can't cause problems if you can't also cover or a crafty QB will make you pay. Capische?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the premise of hitting the QB produces mistakes. I"m saying it isn't as simple as you make it sound. It's pretty obvious if you take the QB out of the game he'll be less effective.
Blitzing by the way Bogie is a double edged sword as is keeping in max protect. If you blitz and the offense picks is up you have a man free. IF you max protect the defense has a chance to double one attacker on two defenders. This also gives the "D" one man free.
YOur premise of the "Blitzing pressure" is false, it's only effective if it gets to the QB. Same with 3 or 4 or 5 man fronts, it's not a thing you can put your finger on and say it will work. THE Packers protect against all of these defensive alignments and that is the point of my post. NO matter what defense the opponents have thrown at him this year Rodgers has beat. Some are more effective than others but there is no one way to attack the PAckers offense and win.
What you want is to win the pressure battle and maintain coverage. That is something no team as been able to do this year against the Packers offense. So yea, you're right, pressure causes problems for offenses, but you can't cause problems if you can't also cover or a crafty QB will make you pay. Capische?

You have a point there, but i still believe the biggest challenge for this offense this season is a blitzing scheme defense that knows what their doing, and I'm not talking about Pittsburgh or Baltimore. I actually want to see what we can do against Baltimore, we seen how to dissect the Steelers defense last year in the Super Bowl, they did make a challenge, but they couldn't fully shut us down.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
QUESTION

If Rodgers is hit like Brett was when they played, who would have an issue with it?

Keep in mind, if no flags are tossed, and refs say it is all good..

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I fixed your original post to include the correct link.

Thanks,...although I think I was better off NOT watching it... Me no likey Darren Sharper anymore. eeesh!

I was better off sticking with the DD original post!! :inlove:

Seriously...I can't wait till the KC game, and then wait to see DS eat some crow!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To build upon what DevilDon posted: In order to accomplish the goal of beating up Rodgers, a D is going to have to get it done mainly with 4 pass rushers. Rodgers eats blitzes alive. First with his mind, quick release and strong, accurate arm. If that doesn't burn 'em, he is more mobile than the other QBs Bogart mentioned and he'll burn 'em with his feet. He is not only much, much smarter with the ball but he is also more elusive than Favre was at the end of his career.

Sharper's other suggestion is being physical at the LOS vs. the Packers' receivers. That could work against Jennings, Cobb and perhaps Driver. But they better be careful vs. Finley, Nelson and Jones. If any of those three - or all three outmuscle the DB at the LOS an explosive play will be about to happen. And Jennings, Cobb and Driver just may out-quick the DB at the LOS, particularly if they're in motion before the snap. The gamble of bump and run can work out but it indeed is a gamble and if Rodgers buys time with his feet he'll burn the D big time.

IMO in order to beat the Packers a team will either have to have the fortune of facing Rodgers on an off day, or win a shootout. That's why today I think the Saints would have the best shot. I'm still holding out hope Clifton will not only return by the playoffs but will be able to play about as well as he did the second half of last season. I appreciate the job Newhouse has done. But I've seen Chad Clifton. Chad Clifton is (not) a friend of mine. And Marshall Newhouse is no Chad Clifton (yet).

Members online