Keyshawn Johnson released

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:
tromadz said:
I wouldnt mind the pickup.

KJ is slow and old.......he was never a playmaker, not even in his prime....He prolly would help, but im sure he'd be asking for way too much. And this is comming from a guy who supported the moss deal....

Well it depends on terms. My statement was very general(for a reason). If Key wanted a huge contract? no. If he wanted to be a #1 WR? no. If the terms were to be good for TT\MM\GB, then i'd be for it (that means, short contract, #3 receiver).

i have a feeling that if he came he would be the #2 reciever after driver.....then jennings

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Take it for what it is worth, but the last sentence is probably telling...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/07/keyshawn/index.html

Keyshawn Johnson may be catching passes in 2007 from the prize of this year's draft class, or he may become a key target for last season's Offensive Rookie Of The Year.

Or, if the money's not right, the free-agent wideout may be talking about JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young and the rest of the NFL's passers on TV.

SI.com has learned the Oakland Raiders and the Tennessee Titans are the leading contenders for Johnson's services in the wake of his release last week by the Carolina Panthers. The Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks have also expressed interest in signing the 34-year-old wideout, who is also pondering a permanent move into a second career as a television analyst.

Johnson caught 70 passes for the Panthers last season but was cut last Tuesday, three days after the team drafted ex-USC wideout Dwayne Jarrett in the second round. Johnson, working as a guest analyst for ESPN, had lauded the pick on the air, saying he planned to mentor Jarrett, and his release clearly caught him off guard.

Drafted first overall by the New York Jets in 1996, Johnson also played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dallas Cowboys before signing a four-year contract with the Panthers last March. Among those teams interested following his release by the Cowboys a year ago were the New York Giants, New England Patriots and the Seahawks, who have since acquired a pair of high-priced receivers in Deion Branch and Nate Burleson. Of those three teams, only the Seahawks are believed to be interested this time around.

Johnson, who has 815 career receptions, has averaged 70.3 catches over the past three seasons. He is durable, having missed just three games due to injury in his 11-year career (he was placed on the inactive list for the Bucs' final six games of 2003 following a dispute with coach Jon Gruden), and is regarded in league circles as a physical possession receiver and a vicious blocker who improves teams' running games.

The Titans, who lost leading receiver Drew Bennett to St. Louis via free agency, are seeking a reliable target for Young, who went 8-5 as a first-year starter in 2006. Tennessee's leading returning receiver from 2006, Brandon Jones, caught just 27 passes. Johnson has known Titans coach Jeff Fisher since the future USC star was a Trojans ballboy during Fisher's playing days as a standout defensive back.

The Raiders traded wideout Randy Moss to the New England Patriots during the draft and could team Johnson with deep threat Jerry Porter to give Russell an underneath threat. Johnson's children live in the East Bay with his ex-wife, Shikiri, which makes the prospect of joining a team that went 2-14 in '06 far more attractive from his perspective.

Johnson believes he has at least two or three productive seasons left. However, he has told friends he will not play for the minimum and is willing to pursue his options as a TV commentator if he does not receive an offer to his satisfaction. Johnson hopes to sign with a new team quickly -- perhaps by the end of this week and if nothing happens in that time frame he may elect to retire and begin his new career.

Johnson, who lives in Los Angeles during the offseason, received no interest from the San Diego Chargers, despite the fact their current roster lacks an established receiver.

There is a division within the Seahawks' hierarchy on whether to pursue Johnson. A source says coach Mike Holmgren is supportive of the move while general manager Tim Ruskell is hesitant. The Packers, who tried to trade for Moss and are hoping to give Brett Favre another reliable receiving option opposite Donald Driver, have expressed interest, but Johnson is reluctant to play in Green Bay.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Packers, who tried to trade for Moss and are hoping to give Brett Favre another reliable receiving option opposite Donald Driver, have expressed interest, but Johnson is reluctant to play in Green Bay.

And we can blame that all on Moss not coming to Green Bay. :rubeyes:

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
The Packers, who tried to trade for Moss and are hoping to give Brett Favre another reliable receiving option opposite Donald Driver, have expressed interest, but Johnson is reluctant to play in Green Bay.

Well, not only that. I don't know why it is so far-fetched of a thought that these guys want to play for teams that show commitment to improving now, not in 5 years.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:

Well, not only that. I don't know why it is so far-fetched of a thought that these guys want to play for teams that show commitment to improving now, not in 5 years.

If you're so content on the Packers not trying to win for five years, why post about the Packers? Why spend so much time on a Packers site? Why? Because you are not that idiotic to believe that theory is true.

or you have no life once so ever

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Pack93z said:

If you're so content on the Packers not trying to win for five years, why post about the Packers? Why spend so much time on a Packers site? Why? Because you are not that idiotic to believe that theory is true.

or you have no life once so ever

No Zero, we are asked to believe that TT is the ONE PERSON involved full time in the NFL that does not understand NOBODY is given a lot of slack in terms of time to produce a winner.

He is completely oblivious of any pressure or the emphasis placed on winning in this league. He feels, I'm certain, all of that can wait until later.

Also, players out there are not paying any attention whatsoever to the Packers philosophy of keeping players happy, extending contracts, and holding onto their FA's as long, of course, the player is worthy.

Rewarding these players with extensions and keeping them as key components of the team is not something players outside the organization deem as important.

They all look at the Packers as a foolish bunch of losers I'm sure and give little consideration to playing here.

PS: I read in the rumor mill that the Vikes were looking at Johnson as a veteran WR option that they could use. Based on the above logic why would the the lousy *** Vikes even bother giving him consideration since they are so ****** he would never go there anyways.

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enough Said

Enough has been said about Moss and the packer's. We lost him for what ever reason. So why not go out and get Keyshawn ? He would be a good pickup and help us out.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Re: Enough Said

Enough has been said about Moss and the packer's. We lost him for what ever reason. So why not go out and get Keyshawn ? He would be a good pickup and help us out.

My opinion on Key would be that he would help us out on 3rd downs and redzone more so than anywhere else. He knows how to read a defense and find a hole in the coverage and would complement the Offense.

The downside of it, I don't know how his attitude would fit in with this team of youngsters. Would he feel a sense of entitlement here being a veteran. Would he be patient with the young guys?

A one year deal or a two year with a friendly escape clause might be the trick. IMO.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enough Said

Keyshawn is an ***, he won't show for camp and he isn't going to get you more than 600 - 800 yards and 4 - 6 TDs, a job I think one of our up and coming WRs can do, and he won't come cheap.

However if the Packers don't think either James Jones, Ruvell Martin or Carlyle Holiday can provide a legitimate 3rd receiver, sign him.

Pack93z

Reaction score

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If these "reports" are true, we'd have to WAY overpay Johnson to come here. He'd be a less-than-happy WR all season long. Recipe for disaster. We need a squad of dedicated warriors, not a bad apple. Harmony in the locker room is essential. He would be out of sync. Forget him.

Members online

Latest posts