Keys to beating the Bears

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did something like this for the Falcons game so I figured I'd do it again for the Bears game. I am really pumped up for this matchup. Anyway, here is what I think the Packers need to do to win the game.

1. Stop Forte-When Forte has been held to less than 45 yards rushing, the Bears are 2-4. Unfortunately one of those two wins was against us, as the Packers held him to 29 yards in the first meeting but still managed to lose because of the penalties.

Much like the Falcons, I think the Bears rely quite a bit on their running back. Cutler is more prone to making mistakes when he doesn't have a running game, and I think if we shut down Forte our secondary will be able to win the battle with Cutler.

2. Special Teams-We certainly have a better offense than the Bears, and I think our defense is a hair better. However, where the Bears can kill us, as I'm sure you all know, is special teams. Surprisingly our special teams outplayed theirs last game, but I don't think we can count on that to happen again. So, don't kick it to Hester and I think we might as well squib it or directionally kick it on every kickoff because our coverage team sucks. Can't afford to give up a return like we did against the Falcons.

3. Play smart-Penalties haven't been much of an issue since the game in which the Bears beat us, but nonetheless, it deserves attention. No stupid penalties.

4. Rodgers-Rodgers seems to struggle against the Bears cover 2 defense. While it is a very good defense, he seems to struggle against it more than he should. I've said it before, and I'll restate the fact; the Packers have only scored 17, 21, 21, 17 and 10 points against the Bears in our last 5 meetings. Yes, he did put 48 points up yesterday, but he put up 45 against the Giants in week 16 and then got held to just 10 the very next week against the Bears. However, if Rodgers can not turn the ball over(fumbles, INT) we should be okay. He just needs to get a couple TD's and I think our D can do the rest.

Anyway, thoughts? Comments? Anything else you think the Packers need to really focus on?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
My thoughts.

Don't suck like Seattle and you should win. I know it's a flippant response, but It think you summed it up well enough.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Gameplan for Peppers. Bulaga needs to be ready for him. He's faced him once and knows what he can do now. No more dumb penalties.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
i could go in more depth, but for now....

ST- play heart out
Offense- protect/catch the ball
Defense- pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure pressure PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!!

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
I think you pretty well nailed it. Keep the momentum going, neutralize the crowd, play smart and protect the ball. Getting out to an early lead will also be huge. Force them to play from behind, especially if the Packers can take away the run game and make Cutler take some chances. I think the Packers D could feast on him if he has to take chances.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pressure cutler he will throw it up for grabs we must capitalize on opportunities. Stop forte I think we will be fine. Man I am amped once again for this game.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Have Rodgers play smart and have a lot of play action to set the tone. Use Starks after we after we got the lead to throw them off.Keep up with the bone formation, and defense needs to grab and keep the balls thrown at them.

Munny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stopping the Bears offense is pretty straight forward - shut down the run and force Cutler to beat you. IMO, Cutler is not THAT good, especially under pressure, but he can deliver if he has the time. Their ST's are pretty good and can hurt you if the game is close.

With that said, I can't see the Bears shutting our offense down entirely. MM needs to be aggressive (again) and we should expose them for the pretenders they are. Screen plays and play action all day long baby.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, we do have history on our side here. Since 1992, only two teams have won the Super Bowl that did not have an elite quarterback. And those two teams led the league in defense('00 Ravens and '02 Bucs) and I would have to say out of the 4 remaining teams only the Steelers and Packers have an elite QBs. Look at the history.

92-Cowboys, Aikman
93-Cowboys, Aikman
94-49ers, Young
95-Cowboys, Aikman
96-Packers, Favre
97-Broncos, Elway
98-Broncos, Elway
99-Rams, Warner
00-Ravens-Dilfer(One of the best D's ever)
01-Patriots, Brady
02-Bucs, Johnson(One of the best D's ever)
03-Patriots, Brady
04-Patriots, Brady
05-Steelers, Roethlisberger
06-Colts, Manning
07-Giants, Manning(Might not be elite, but is certainly pretty good)
08-Steelers, Roethlisberger
09-Saints, Brees
10-??????

Since I would not say Sanchez or Cutler are elite, if history remains true, the Packers or Steelers will win the Super Bowl. Obviously there is a good chance that that might not happen and maybe the Jets or Bears will surprise everyone. However, I would say by this logic the Packers and Steelers have the best chance of winning the Super Bowl this year.

But we must all remain focused on the Bears. I don't think we should get ahead of ourselves.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the biggest key to this game is our running game.

If they're able to keep the safeties way up, over 20 yards, and still stop the run like they did before, and keep us to 15 or so attempts, it'll be really difficult for our offense to work.

Now, there's no stopping Aaron Rodgers. But they have contained him both times, specially the second game. And we didn't have Starks before, and he's a HUGE difference, just watch the tape.

On D, we're just the much better team. Cutler has never had even a good game against us, always throwing picks. And, though their running game is much improved, it's not nearly as good as Atlanta, for instance.

On ST, we'll just lose. Maybe we can contain Hester to only a couple of moderate returns, but there's no way we can win the field position and the ST battle.

So it comes down to our offense. If we can stabilish the THREAT of the running game and the playaction, we win this game hands down.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the biggest key to this game is our running game.

If they're able to keep the safeties way up, over 20 yards, and still stop the run like they did before, and keep us to 15 or so attempts, it'll be really difficult for our offense to work.

Now, there's no stopping Aaron Rodgers. But they have contained him both times, specially the second game. And we didn't have Starks before, and he's a HUGE difference, just watch the tape.

On D, we're just the much better team. Cutler has never had even a good game against us, always throwing picks. And, though their running game is much improved, it's not nearly as good as Atlanta, for instance.

On ST, we'll just lose. Maybe we can contain Hester to only a couple of moderate returns, but there's no way we can win the field position and the ST battle.

So it comes down to our offense. If we can stabilish the THREAT of the running game and the playaction, we win this game hands down.

Yep, we've got to use Starks. In our 2 meetings with the Bears this season Rodgers was was our leading rusher. Starks doesn't need to be great, and it will tough to be great against a run D like the Bears have, but if he can average 3-3.5 yards a carry I'll be happy.

Starks is like Grant in a lot of ways. Downhill runner, doesn't usually fall backwards and runs hard. We've got to run a bit with him so it helps Rodgers out in the passing game. As you pointed out, Rodgers hasn't been too sharp against Chicago this season and a running game would certainly help with that.

Members online

Latest posts