1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Keeping 53 could be Pack’s problem

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by wpr, Sep 2, 2006.

1. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From the Rockford Register Star:

2. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah this happens every year. Every team usually goes through the waiver wire and picks guys up. No different this year. I think Green Bay might be a little more active. We have no depth at Safety and O-line.
  3. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This guy hit it right on the head! It's the same opinion every objective sportswriter around the NFL has about this team.

Now let's bash this guys credibility!
  4. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The defense concerns me because they should be decent at least. They can't cover anyone. I watched the first three quarters yesterday and I was furious with our tackling. Honestly I learned how to tackle in high school. I have not idea where this grabbying stuff started, but this defense doesn't hit anyone. The d-backs are playing so far off that getting a first down on third and long is no problem. IThe linebackers don't fill the hole at all. I thought this was going to be a strength for us, maybe not. I just know if we can't stop anyone it's going to be a very long year.

On the offensive side of the ball, I'm worried about our offensive line. This is the absolute worse offensive line I've ever seen at any level of play. Rogers was getting sacked on a 3 step drop. It was like we didn't even have anyone blocking at all. That's why it's so hard to evaluate the running backs. We have a run play called and our offensive line, which incidentally is offensive to me, is pushed back 3 and 4 yards into our backfield. How are you going to run with that?

Specail teams, it's just all about tackling and running through blocks. We don't do that. When we receive the ball we don't block either. We sometimes get in the way, but I haven't seen anyone layout a block on special teams yet.

I'll end this by saying this. All of these comments are based only on what I've seen in pre-season games. I hope we come out next Sunday and pour it on the Bears, but just like under Sherman the last two years, I don't see anything that makes me believe we're ready for the season. Unless Thompson can pick up some quality stud that slipped through someone else's offensive line or defensive backfield, we could be in real trouble.
  5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Some things ignored, by the objective writer.

1 of them being how preseason special teams coverage are a lot of no name guys who are trying to make the team mostly on that, and a lot won't be on the team 3 days after the game is played. Lets not mention that though.

Also, don't mention how "The Green Bay Starters" were without Harris AND Woodson, and also had Poppinga in at LB(when is he a 'starter?' )

But lets ignore those thing.

I bet pyle loves this guy (looks up). Oh. Nevermind.
  6. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Amazing! You just love to use my name in every post, its great!

Good point on Special Teams though, now if you could find excuses for the other 30 trouble spots.

By the way, Woodson and Harris played against Cinci. The guy was judging the pre-season as a whole. I know you were to eager to respond with "pyle this" or "pyle that" but at least try to read the whole column before responding.

Packedhouse you are exactly right. Great post.
  7. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    name the 30 trouble spots

and ill do my best
  8. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Trom I usually enjoy reading your posts. I agree with your comments some of the time. I also disagree w/ you on other occasions.
    this time I am more in the middle based on your comments.

I have read Reed's work for years. He is not like some of the columnists who like to sensationalize their articles and try and churn up trash. I think he is trying hard to say good things about GB. A writer you is trying to burn a team would not use words like "to be fair" or " there is an explanation" and "there is potential (for GB) to be better"

I think he is trying to point out that to no one's surprise GB needs depth.

As far as not commenting on the missing DB's I don't think it was his intent to comment position by position for the entire preseason. He was speaking in general that the team is young and they need more help. His comment is, and I think even you can agree with it, unless they get a whole lot better don't look for them in the Super Bowl.
    One of Reed's main points was
    So I ask you- Does GB have 53 players that can play on every other NFL team? I don't think so. Once you get past the 22 starters and let's say another 20 or so back ups you will find guys who are very raw talent wise.
  9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    GB definitely has its weaknesses.

but to ignore simple facts just to nail his point home is irresponsible.

I wont\cant argue we have players who could end up not being NFL-Caliber.
  10. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The tackling especially in the secondary is awful (could it be because Kurt Schottenheimer is back coaching - and I use that term loosely - the secondary?)