Keep Kampman as a pass rusher?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of trading Kampman, why don't we use him to rush the passer instead of Jolly on passing downs? Kampman is a proven pass rusher, while Jolly, well.......isn't. Thoughts?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
We can't trade him because he's going to be a free agent this year. We would have to pay him too much money for such a specialized position. He's just not a 3-4 defensive lineman. 3-4 lineman are usually big bruisers, not lightweight pass rushers. Right when we hired Dom Capers would have been a good time to trade him. I knew he wasn't going to fit in right from the start.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can rush the passer and he holds up well against the run, even in a 3-4, and with more training in the 3-4 this offseason he may get better. However where he is lacking is in his coverage skills. I saw him get beat by running backs constantly last year, just too slow. He's a motor guy, not a super athletic guy, he just won't hold up there.

If the right 3-4 team comes along and offers a 2nd and a 3rd or fourth, I saw thats worth it. Even better possibly a draft pick and a player that can help us in the 3-4 that maybe doesn't fit on itt's 4-3 team. I'm trying to think of some guys, I might check that out.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe he can turn into a very good OLB, while being a great dime and nickel pass rusher.

And I think the Packers feel the same. I think we'll bring him back, at least try hard.

I don't know if he wants, though.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman trade is unlikely for a number of reasons. We either sign him to a long term contract (big numbers) or Kampman is released.

I think what is lost in all this is the fact Kampman wants to play DE, I don't think he signs any contract with Green Bay unless it is for an ungodly sum that he just can't pass up.

Look at it from Kampman's point of view, he can put himself on the open market as DE and negotiate a rather lucrative long term contract to a team and situation of his choosing.

TT will offer Kampman a contract to make it look like Kampman left Green Bay for more money, as opposed to Green Bay giving up on Kampman.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe he can turn into a very good OLB, while being a great dime and nickel pass rusher.

And I think the Packers feel the same. I think we'll bring him back, at least try hard.

I don't know if he wants, though.

Theres the problem in a nut shell, the only way Kampman signs a contract with Green Bay is for an ungodly amount he can not pass up. I think he would rather play DE somewhere else.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman trade is unlikely for a number of reasons. We either sign him to a long term contract (big numbers) or Kampman is released.

I think what is lost in all this is the fact Kampman wants to play DE, I don't think he signs any contract with Green Bay unless it is for an ungodly sum that he just can't pass up.

Look at it from Kampman's point of view, he can put himself on the open market as DE and negotiate a rather lucrative long term contract to a team and situation of his choosing.

TT will offer Kampman a contract to make it look like Kampman left Green Bay for more money, as opposed to Green Bay giving up on Kampman.

He makes a very good point, this is as much about business/appearances as it is football. TT doesn't want to look like he's giving up on another player who will go somewhere else and post good numbers. But hell maybe Kampman loves GB and wants to stay here.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
He can rush the passer and he holds up well against the run, even in a 3-4, and with more training in the 3-4 this offseason he may get better. However where he is lacking is in his coverage skills. I saw him get beat by running backs constantly last year, just too slow. He's a motor guy, not a super athletic guy, he just won't hold up there.

If the right 3-4 team comes along and offers a 2nd and a 3rd or fourth, I saw thats worth it. Even better possibly a draft pick and a player that can help us in the 3-4 that maybe doesn't fit on itt's 4-3 team. I'm trying to think of some guys, I might check that out.

We can't trade him. He's a free agent. We either have to resign him or let him go.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see, and we cant tag him either because that would mean someone would have to give up 2 first rounders for him right?
To my understanding, that's not it.

If we tag him, someone can trade him for 2 first rounders. But as far as I know, it doesn't mean we can't trade him for something else. It just means that if someone trades 2 first rounders, we are obligated to trade.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I honestly don't see anyway that Kampman will stay in Green Bay next season. Its sad and unfortunate that it didn't work out. I like Kampman a lot. He's a stand up guy and gives a 110% on every play. He's exactly what you look for in a football player. It will be sad to see him go.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
He'll be in Green Bay next year... because Minnesota plays there once.

I would hope he doesn't pull a Favre, but then again I never thought Favre would pull a Favre, so here we are.

I hope he goes to Carolina, where Peppers will be vacating his rush end position. Up and coming team, should contend for the playoffs next year, he gets to play end. It's a nice set-up for him.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kampman can be good fit at end for the 3-4 but the coaches just aren't seeing it. Kampman like's to bull rush and take on two blockers, exactly the type of thing that is required for a 3-4 end. However he'll have to put on some more bulk and weight which at this point seems too late to do since he's 30.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Carolina will only contend if they get a QB.
I think Matt Moore is decent enough that with the two-headed monster they have at running back they're going to have plenty of offense next year.

They played really well with Moore at the helm after Delhomme got hurt this year.

I wouldn't put Donovan McNabb to Carolina out of the question, though. Either way, I think they're in pretty decent hands.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I think Matt Moore is decent enough that with the two-headed monster they have at running back they're going to have plenty of offense next year.

They played really well with Moore at the helm after Delhomme got hurt this year.

I wouldn't put Donovan McNabb to Carolina out of the question, though. Either way, I think they're in pretty decent hands.

No doubt. They beat the **** out of the Saints and Vikes at the end of last season. Looked really tough in the last third of the season.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looked though when it didn't matter anymore...

I can tell you that it mattered to Matt Moore though, and confidence breeds success. I tihnk carolina will be fine with Moore, as we have seen rookies can have huge amounts of success with a decent defense and good run game, and carolinas run game is one of the best. Plus Moore is more seasoned than a rookie.

Carolina really needs help on their d-line and Kampman to them really does make quite a bit of sense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that professional football players don't try to win every game they play in. Whether it mattered or not....they KILLED those teams.
I only stated facts.

Teams cannot win without a QB, and though a rookie, Sanchez was a great college qb and did go #5 overall, which means the talent is there.

And Carolina only played when it mattered. Before that, they seemed lacking. When they needed to win, they didn't.

I understand the Moore point, and it might very well be it, but I've seen plenty of backups appear out of nowhere, look like the answer, and then be terrible when they're perceived as such next season, to put them as contenders so soon.

They might've something at QB, but it's a question mark, and pardon me if I don't bet on a team with that kind of situation.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I only stated facts.

Teams cannot win without a QB, and though a rookie, Sanchez was a great college qb and did go #5 overall, which means the talent is there.

And Carolina only played when it mattered. Before that, they seemed lacking. When they needed to win, they didn't.

I understand the Moore point, and it might very well be it, but I've seen plenty of backups appear out of nowhere, look like the answer, and then be terrible when they're perceived as such next season, to put them as contenders so soon.

They might've something at QB, but it's a question mark, and pardon me if I don't bet on a team with that kind of situation.

You're right. All of that was very accurate. I'm just merely stating that Moore looked very good against some very good teams down the stretch. Does that make him a proven qb? No, you're right about that. Time will tell.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. All of that was very accurate. I'm just merely stating that Moore looked very good against some very good teams down the stretch. Does that make him a proven qb? No, you're right about that. Time will tell.
His completion percentage and TD to INT rating was out of this world.

Plus, his mechanics are very good.

I don't remember his athleticism or arm strength, but that's overrated in a QB IMHO.

You need that to be an elite QB, but not to be a great QB.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can be furious all he wants, I don't think he was going to be a Packer in 2010 either way. If that's true, it all but confirms that he's done here.

Ted, bring me Joey Porter. Or, if you truly feel like taking advantage of the uncapped year, Julius Peppers.

No please. We need young blood on our team. From what I have heard and seem, Peppers and Porter are both prima donna's. Porter would much more likely come here because he will be cheap, but I doubt it. All very doubtful still.

Members online

Latest posts