Just Heard on Scott Van Pelt Radio Show

Sandmire33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what bugs me about the media, SVP mentioned that Matt Ryan is 0-1 in the playoffs and his loss was at Arizona, and no one is mentioning him having a "monkey" on his back like Aaron Rodgers.... Oh yeah i've been reading the forum for awhile but this is my first post... What do you guys think of this?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already weighed in on the monkey/back thing over here.....
http://www.packerforum.com/f8/did-monkey-jump-off-rodgers-back-25764.html

As for the Rodgers/Flynn match-up....
I don't think we should be getting too cocky.
Falcons have not lost a home game for a long time.
They beat during the reg. season.
Sure, Rodgers is 1-1 in playoffs and Ryan is 0-1. Those records are too close for comfort in my book.
Rodgers and Flynn are not real time tested QBs, yet.

I know that we are all riding real high right now and think our QB is the best since he just beat the Eagles.
But let's also keep things in perspective.

OP
OP
S

Sandmire33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you weighed in on that, but it wasn't my point. My point was that Rodgers gets all this talk about him not being an elite quarterback until he does something in the playoffs, but watching and listening to these shows there is no mention of other quarterbacks that haven't done something in the playoffs. That tag of he isn't a great quarterback until doesn't happen for Ryan. I was wondering why he doesn't get the same treatment

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I have Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey" song playing in my head now.

Shock the Monkey!

All I have to say about Rodgers, is Monkey, What Monkey!? Ooohhh, Your talking about the Farve 500lb gorilla on his back. Honestly, Rodgers doesn't feel that pressure. It's all media hype.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno......
As I mentioned: The Falcons haven't lost a home game for quite a while. And the Falcons have already beaten the Pack.
The Pack lost a few this year. And they lost a few close games to worst teams, such as the Lions.
So looking at it from the perspective of W/L records, Matt Ryan is the better one.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
We already weighed in on the monkey/back thing over here.....
http://www.packerforum.com/f8/did-monkey-jump-off-rodgers-back-25764.html

As for the Rodgers/Flynn match-up....
I don't think we should be getting too cocky.
Falcons have not lost a home game for a long time.
They beat during the reg. season.
Sure, Rodgers is 1-1 in playoffs and Ryan is 0-1. Those records are too close for comfort in my book.
Rodgers and Flynn are not real time tested QBs, yet.

I know that we are all riding real high right now and think our QB is the best since he just beat the Eagles.
But let's also keep things in perspective.
What does Flynn have to do with this?

DiGringo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um... Flynn is our 2nd string QB... I believe the man you're thinking of is Matt Ryan?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys lost me with the Flynn stuff but cutler has never even played in the playoffs so Ryan isn't the only one that should be questioned.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
I dunno......
As I mentioned: The Falcons haven't lost a home game for quite a while. And the Falcons have already beaten the Pack.
The Pack lost a few this year. And they lost a few close games to worst teams, such as the Lions.
So looking at it from the perspective of W/L records, Matt Ryan is the better one.

Why does everyone insist that the lions are a bad team? Really there not a bad team wait till next year, I will not like playing them anymore that's a fact.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Cutler is gonna be a turnover machine in the playoffs. That's my feeling.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does everyone insist that the lions are a bad team? Really there not a bad team wait till next year, I will not like playing them anymore that's a fact.

look at the winning streak they went on at the end of the season. Plus I dont think one team had so many different starting QBs as they did this season.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons lost at home in week 16 against the Saints.

The reason why Rodgers had this "Playoff monkey" on his back while Ryan and Cutler do not is because Rodgers put up such ungodly numbers in his first two seasons as a starter that people were already slapping him with the "Elite" and "MVP" labels. Neither Ryan nor Cutler has done as much to impress other players, coaches and fans as Rodgers has, and because perception is that Rodgers can't win in big games and can't come from behind, critics were quick to temper enthusiasm by slapping the "He has to win a playoff game first" moniker on him.

Cutler and Ryan also didn't come out of the shadows to follow a future hall of fame QB, and arguably the most popular player in the history of the NFL like Rodgers did. Naturally Rodgers is going to be under more scrutiny and receive more criticism than either Ryan or Cutler.

I tell you what though- If Matt Ryan winds up 0-2 in the playoffs (My hope) and Cutler winds up 0-1, you'll start to hear some people make some noise.

animalmother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it the media holds Aaron Rodgers to a far higher standard than qbs like matt ryan, and I think he deserves it too.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it the media holds Aaron Rodgers to a far higher standard than qbs like matt ryan, and I think he deserves it too.
There is tons, and I mean tons, of positive stuff said about Rodgers.
Listen to the commentators during the games. Look for articles on google. Etc, etc.
Pay attention to that instead of the negative stuff.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Quit saying the Lions are a bad team, since they have improved so much the last few months. They put up more of a fight versus the Patriots than the Bears, almost always seem to be on the losing side of a bad call, and beat us. They finished 3rd in our division, and if you want to say thats any kind of accomplishment, then the Favre bowl wins this year, mean nothing, since the Lions > Vikes.

Rodgers inherited Favre's role as QB of the Packers and he is doing great things, such great things others have to put him down to make other QB's look good. I can say Rodgers has been on fire the past two years, and it has been with an o-line that was like Swiss cheese, receivers that drop perfect passes, and not having a star running back.

Ryan has a good running back to fall back on if he isn't doing well. Rodgers has had more than one game this season where he rushes more your yards than his running back.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I mentioned: The Falcons haven't lost a home game for quite a while.
What do you mean?
They lost at home 2 games ago, to the same Saints who just lost to Seattle.
What does "quite a while" mean to you?

Anyway, I get your point. Matt Ryan hasn't ever won a playoff game. They were big favorites in Arizona 2 years ago and laid an egg.
Rodgers first playoff game was also at Arizona, and Rodgers started the game with an Int, and ended it with a fumble-6 loser in OT. But he played prettier in the middle than Ryan did. I get your drift..... Ryan should be facing some heat. Let's hope we make him face that same heat for the next 365 days after Saturday night !!!!!

Latest posts