Just announced.....Pack interested in Brees

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gramps--is that you? Welcome.

Backin--Drew Brees established himself long ago. Think the Chargers were good by accident?

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Gramps--is that you? Welcome.

Backin--Drew Brees established himself long ago. Think the Chargers were good by accident?

What Chargers?

Oh! You mean the inconsistent ones, the ones you can't never tell until the game is over ones, the same ones run by Marty, "the smarty", Shottenheimer ones, that bunch!

Why ever Dante Culpepper has established himself as good as that bunch.

Until I see more conclusive evidence, Drew, to me, is like a Ryan "Leaf" just blowing in the "Breeze."

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm a QB, my first thought is, " How's that OL looking?" Favre, Rodgers, Brees,(insert QB name here), will not produce if it isn't fixed, and no one wants to come into that situation regardless of any storied franchise. Of course its all about timing so our OL is not in place while some tempting QB's are on the market...better get them ducks lined up, and fast.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree there has to be some work dont not alot though to solidify the O-Line. One FA and one Draftee. I think The O-line began to solidify as the season drew down

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Did you seriously just compare Brees to Ryan Leaf? Wow...

In my statment, which was an overstatement of comparison (hyperbole), the attempt was made in a more dramatic way to illustrate more of what Drew Brees isn't than what he actually is! As far as I am concerned, Brees hasn't yet established himself as a top notch NFL quarterback, the caliber of which may be the most determining factor in a team's success. Unless someone can propound conclusive evidence to the contrary, I remain steadfast, and uncompromising in my beliefs. In other words, I feel Brees, at best, is a slightly above average quarterback, the quality of which will not take the Packers to the next level.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm SURE channel 4 wouldn't have said McCarthy wasn't sold on Rodgers unless they hear it themselves. I DON'T think this was a "rumor" started by Bree's agent.
I think Brees is good, and COULD be great. IF he can recover, and IF he can play behind a decent O-line.
I of course STILL hope Favre gives it one more shot.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
LambeauLeaper said:

In my statment, which was an overstatement of comparison (hyperbole), the attempt was made in a more dramatic way to illustrate more of what Drew Brees isn't than what he actually is! As far as I am concerned, Brees hasn't yet established himself as a top notch NFL quarterback, the caliber of which may be the most determining factor in a team's success. Unless someone can propound conclusive evidence to the contrary, I remain steadfast, and uncompromising in my beliefs. In other words, I feel Brees, at best, is a slightly above average quarterback, the quality of which will not take the Packers to the next level.

Fair enough, but using that reasoning, Peyton Manning isn't a top notch quarterback since can never take his team very far into the playoffs (as in, the Superbowl / "next level"). I'm not saying you said that Manning isn't a great QB - I'm just extrapolating your reasoning. It's not all about the quarterback anymore. I think if you have a guy that makes good decisions throughout the game, gets the ball to his receivers, doesn't turn the ball over, and is a good leader, you have a very good start. Brees is a quarterback that fits all those descriptions. I'm not saying he's as good of a QB like Tom Brady, but he is similar in many ways. I sure wouldn't mind seeing him come here (if Brett retires).

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
LambeauLeaper said:

Fair enough, but using that reasoning, Peyton Manning isn't a top notch quarterback since can never take his team very far into the playoffs (as in, the Superbowl / "next level"). I'm not saying you said that Manning isn't a great QB - I'm just extrapolating your reasoning. It's not all about the quarterback anymore. I think if you have a guy that makes good decisions throughout the game, gets the ball to his receivers, doesn't turn the ball over, and is a good leader, you have a very good start. Brees is a quarterback that fits all those descriptions. I'm not saying he's as good as Brady, but he is similar in many ways. I sure wouldn't mind seeing him come here (if Brett retires).

I wouldn't mind either.........i think he has posibilities. And he has played in the pros, so you KNOW he's someone that can handle it, unlike the "unknown" like Leinhart or Young.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeh and I think we have to give rodgers a shot OF FAVRE GOES only then but we really have to I mean this kid was predicted to go #1 in some mock drafts

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true......we really don't know if Rodgers will pan out or not. ALOT of QB's have been picked in the first round, and bombed out. But he hasn't really been given a chance yet.
I hope Favre comes back for ONE more.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Brees' injury is major, its also been reported he's way ahead of schedule. Spose that doesn't mean he'll be the same player though.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
LambeauLeaper said:

Fair enough, but using that reasoning, Peyton Manning isn't a top notch quarterback since can never take his team very far into the playoffs (as in, the Superbowl / "next level"). I'm not saying you said that Manning isn't a great QB - I'm just extrapolating your reasoning. It's not all about the quarterback anymore. I think if you have a guy that makes good decisions throughout the game, gets the ball to his receivers, doesn't turn the ball over, and is a good leader, you have a very good start. Brees is a quarterback that fits all those descriptions. I'm not saying he's as good of a QB like Tom Brady, but he is similar in many ways. I sure wouldn't mind seeing him come here (if Brett retires).

Maybe I need more education on Brees' abilities. I never thought Kurt Warner was much of a quarterback either, beyond his excellent and talented receivers, and an excellent line, and a quick arm. But when you take him (Warner) out of that picture, he, to me, is just another quarterback. But that's just me, and the way I see things. Maybe Brees is a better quarterback; I just haven't seen it yet. And Peyton Manning is sorta along the same line, lots going for him on all sides. But in a different scenario, a whole new ball game.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
If I'm a QB, my first thought is, " How's that OL looking?" Favre, Rodgers, Brees,(insert QB name here), will not produce if it isn't fixed, and no one wants to come into that situation regardless of any storied franchise. Of course its all about timing so our OL is not in place while some tempting QB's are on the market...better get them ducks lined up, and fast.

Finally - someone with some focus.... good call..!

Also - a couple of you have it right that the Pack have to do what's right for the Team --- Favre, or no Favre.

One other item - thanks to that shoulder injury - is it me, or is this starting to smell a lot like that Couch trip we had just a short time ago...?

Think about it....

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the short term no CBA would have given The Pack more of a position of strength in signing FA's this year. The higher cap figure will allow those teams who want to go after a guy like Brees more room to do so.
That's O.K. though. In the long run no CBA would have hurt us bad.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right Hawk.......short term we would have been great, long term it would have killed the Packers. I'm glad it's done.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what is interesting about all this to me? It's obvious that TT and MM want BF back. They HOPE he is coming back. They SAY they would be o.k. going with AR if he doesn't return.

I just wonder what their mindset would be if they KNEW, in fact, that Brett was NOT returning.

Are they really ready to turn the wheel over to AR? I know for sure MM would really like to take him under his belt for a year or two first. They surely cannot have a whole lot of confidence in this scenario.

I just wonder what they would be feeling if BF calls it quits and puts another $7.6 mil in the pot.

My gut tells me that a guy like Brees would be looking really good about now if a choice like that presented itself. Even if it doesn't fit the mold of TT's traditional or past way of thinking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts