1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Julius Peppers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by thequick12, Mar 11, 2014.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +578 / 31 / -20
    7.5 sacks for Peppers is a "drop-off", but 5.5 sacks for Neal is a "standout, breakthrough year". Sometimes this forum confuses me.

I agree with your second point too. The other three starters on the Bears line were injured (Henry Melton and Nate Collins) or playing out of position (Corey Wotten). Peppers had no help last year.
  2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:

Watching him the past year I was not impressed. It seemed like he didnt care and was going thru the motions...

I wish I am 100% wrong
  3. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +230 / 25 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    4 of Neal's sacks came in the last 5 games, which at his point of his career suggest an upward trajectory. Peppers' reduced total does suggest his age being a factor. However, I do agree that Peppers production was a result of Offensive scheming and blocking. With Matthews on the field teams will not be able to give him the same sort of attention.
  4. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +230 / 25 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    He played a lot of snaps, I believe 83%. Players deserve some reprieve from effort critiques when they don't come off the field.
  5. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +102 / 4 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    He was mimicking his quarterback.

In all seriousness, Peppers has had motivation issues since his Carolina days. He sees a legitimate chance to play for a Super Bowl in Green Bay. I don't think motivation will be a problem here.
  6. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +757 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    Okay, so look at it another way. By your accounts he was unmotivated and seemed to be going through the motions. He also had no help on D. He had 7.5 sacks, which is a pretty good pass rusher. 7.5 sacks would have led our team.

So would you assume then that he can do better than that if he becomes more motivated in Green Bay and that a return to 11-12 sacks is not out of the question? He'll have help on the other side and we have the depth to keep him fresh.
  7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I really hope your logic turns out!
  8. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +578 / 31 / -20
    It's almost like the 2011 year when offenses were doubling and tripling Matthews and daring anybody else to beat them. With Peppers and Matthews, offenses won't be able to key on one guy. It'll benefit both players immensely. Plus, if Neal has an upward trajectory, Peppers could play the elephant end with Neal playing outside linebacker on the same side!
  9. D Frank

D Frank Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'm not saying that Peppers is a Reggie White, but he is a beast.. He usually gets two men blocking him.. And if they don't double team him, he will put extreme pressure on that QB.. He's a household name.. Rather have him than Pickett..
  10. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 74 / -16
    Packer Fan Since:
    I really hope that this ends up being a smart move. I don't see him finishing out a full 3 years under his contract with us. The way it ended up getting structured was decent. The bears owed him something in the area of 18 mill for this coming season and thats why they let him move on..... I am crossing fingers that he works out. He is not the same guy that I watched for years down here in carolina, he has slowed down a lot. ..... But he has become smarter and wise in his years, I hope the 7.5 sacks was an off year (which he has had 2 other times) because prior to that he hit 11 sacks two years in a row. I really want us to rush him off the right side, he had his best beast mode year ever in carolina when they rushed him off the right side....14.5 sacks, but that was a long time ago.(2008)
  11. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +199 / 5 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Official #'s on this deal released. 3 yr $26M total. Cap #'s of $3.5 in '14, $12 in '15 and $10.5 in '16. I think he'd have to really play well this year in order to keep him past this season
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Hopefully he just retires after he gets his ring.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. BOB KAMINSKI

BOB KAMINSKI Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Lombardi said," Show me a player who plays with a lot of heart & he'll be a great football player". Peppers still plays with a lot of heart. Peppers will do OK!! Now lets give him a nickname. Got any ideas for his nickname?????????? Good job TT & MM. "KEEP BRINGING in THE BIG BOY'S". But watch the cash flow!
    Just from a 75 year old Packer Fan who's waiting for the 50th Anniversary of "The Ice Bowl Game" Dec.31 1967 - Dec.31 2017. What a Packer celebration it will be.
    Send comments to: icebowlbench@charter.net
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014