Julius Peppers

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's over the hill, I'd rather trade up to draft someone like Lawrence Jackson, as get peppers.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's over the hill, I'd rather trade up to draft someone like Lawrence Jackson, as get peppers.

You're kidding right? He's only been in the league for about 5 years and dominated in every one of them before having a down year this year.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

You're kidding right? He's only been in the league for about 5 years and dominated in every one of them before having a down year this year.

He has had a few injuries the last couple of years. Plus he just got extended what last year? You'd have to trade draft picks, and give up a huge Salary to get him. I just don't think he's worth what we would have to give up, that's assuming that this rumor is even true. Why would Indy sign him to a deal and then the next year be shopping him, unless he's broken or something.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:
Veretax said:

He has had a few injuries the last couple of years. Plus he just got extended what last year? You'd have to trade draft picks, and give up a huge Salary to get him. I just don't think he's worth what we would have to give up, that's assuming that this rumor is even true. Why would Indy sign him to a deal and then the next year be shopping him, unless he's broken or something.

Indy?

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
Veretax said:

Indy?

Hang on a sec.... (goes to check rosters)....

Peppers....Carolina.

I guess I was thinking of Dwight Freeney. Seems like every time I see peppers name Freeney is discussed.

Okay Wow I'm not impressed by Peppers at all.

He's 28 Will be 29 next year.

Had 38 Tackles last year (30 solo thought)

Only 2.5 Sacks

3 Forced Fumbles

1 INT

He missed 2 games completely, and likely was injured for in a third or fourth. Those numbers don't exactly inspire me to trade for him.

While he has quite a few 10 sack seasons under his belt, He did not last year, which makes me wonder if something was wrong with him. I don't doubt that he's been a great player in Carolina over the bulk of his career, and his numbers could be down due to injuries or weak play elsewhere on their line and him being double teamed, but I'm still not sure. What exactly would it take to pry him from Carolina's hands, I'd rather draft a couple of studs on Defense as give up a lot to get Peppers.

So either way my opinion is still no, I don't want Peppers.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words to throw in here: Patrick Kearney.

Everyone was saying the same things about him coming from Atlanta last offseason as a FA, and Seattle gave him a huuuuuuge deal for a guy with so many ??'s. Then he blows up and shows that he is still a viable force in the league.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i say resign KGB to a cap friendly contract, then trade him and a 3rd rounder for Peppers and a 5th.
at least protect yourself from the possibilities of major screwup.... NO 1st rounders!!

or just keep KGB who outperfomed pep all last year anyway in a situational role.

Your second option is much simpler and makes more sense to me. I'm all in favor of making moves to upgrade the roster, but giving up KGB and getting Peppers sounds more like making a move just for the sake of making a move.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Everyone was saying the same things about him coming from Atlanta last offseason as a FA, and Seattle gave him a huuuuuuge deal for a guy with so many ??'s. Then he blows up and shows that he is still a viable force in the league.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers didn't have a Kampman playing opposite of him. On the Panthers d-line (which is always injured), Peppers demanded almost all the attention.

I'd love the Pack to make a move for Peppers. At this point, we have had a lot of great young players come in, so I'm not so sold on drafting another 11 players this year. Let's make a deal.

Either way, I'm on board with Thompson/McCarthy and company. I feel like we're heading in a positive direction--just everybody know we don't have a QB who can (or even should), as of right now, play to Favre's 2007 level. And that's no knock on Rodgers. He just needs more time as a starter to be at an elite level--probably.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before this season I had Peppers as the best defensive player in the game, so even after a bad season I don't think it'd be that bad an idea for the Packers to go after him. Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery (i.e. Woodson) or a chance to win (i.e. Moss) to get back on track. Plus, in Green Bay he'll have Kampman, Pickett, and Jolly on the line with him, so he'll get to work one-on-one a lot more.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers didn't have a Kampman playing opposite of him. On the Panthers d-line (which is always injured), Peppers demanded almost all the attention.

I'd love the Pack to make a move for Peppers. At this point, we have had a lot of great young players come in, so I'm not so sold on drafting another 11 players this year. Let's make a deal.

Either way, I'm on board with Thompson/McCarthy and company. I feel like we're heading in a positive direction--just everybody know we don't have a QB who can (or even should), as of right now, play to Favre's 2007 level. And that's no knock on Rodgers. He just needs more time as a starter to be at an elite level--probably.

I'll get back to my point if Peppers is THAT good, why would carolina be shopping him? There has to be a reason for it, and until someone can give me that reason, I'll remain against this trade.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:

I'll get back to my point if Peppers is THAT good, why would carolina be shopping him? There has to be a reason for it, and until someone can give me that reason, I'll remain against this trade.

Because it seems the panthers are trying to start from scratch.
Im all for peppers playing in the green and gold but at what price and what would we do with KGB?
I would much prefer Peppers to come here than Taylor. If we got peppers our dline would make the giants dline look like a line of rookies.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
evad04 said:

Im all for peppers playing in the green and gold but at what price and what would we do with KGB?
I would much prefer Peppers to come here than Taylor. If we got peppers our dline would make the giants dline look like a line of rookies.

Hrms, could be, could be, can't help but wonder how this compares to how Reggie White landed in Green Bay. I agree I'd rather have peppers over Taylor, and Peppers still has some years in him. I'll admit the more I think about this the more I warm to the idea.

So the question is... Let's assume we want Peppers, does anyone know the details of his current contract, and what would you be willing to give up?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
steveGB said:
Veretax said:
evad04 said:

Hrms, could be, could be, can't help but wonder how this compares to how Reggie White landed in Green Bay. I agree I'd rather have peppers over Taylor, and Peppers still has some years in him. I'll admit the more I think about this the more I warm to the idea.

So the question is... Let's assume we want Peppers, does anyone know the details of his current contract, and what would you be willing to give up?

Reggie White vs Peppers........ No comparison

Peppers rushes the passer like KGB. Runs around the blocker with speed, leaving running lanes open trying to get sacks.

Reggie White was the best DE vs the run i've ever seen and heppens to be the sack leader, or was anyway. he played straight up defense, getting after the qb without giving up anything vs the run. You know Larry Allen?? Check out what he used to do to Larry Allen with one arm and ask yourself if signing Peppers would compare to when we got Reggie White.

If Peppers played a straight up balanced game like White, he would get beat down and pancaked all day long and be a below average D-Lineman.

P.S., i'm not trying to lay into you, just stating a point. I'm guessing you're pretty young and didnt really see White play in the early 90's.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
steveGB said:
Veretax said:
evad04 said:

Reggie White vs Peppers........ No comparison

Peppers rushes the passer like KGB. Runs around the blocker with speed, leaving running lanes open trying to get sacks.

Reggie White was the best DE vs the run i've ever seen and heppens to be the sack leader, or was anyway. he played straight up defense, getting after the qb without giving up anything vs the run. You know Larry Allen?? Check out what he used to do to Larry Allen with one arm and ask yourself if signing Peppers would compare to when we got Reggie White.

If Peppers played a straight up balanced game like White, he would get beat down and pancaked all day long and be a below average D-Lineman.

P.S., i'm not trying to lay into you, just stating a point. I'm guessing you're pretty young and didnt really see White play in the early 90's.

I don't think he's trying to say Peppers is as good as Reggie White was I think hes just trying to say that it would be sorta the same magnitude as the white signing. For example the white signing put us over the top to win the super bowl like that was really the big addition we needed and if we signed peppers that would put us over the top to be able to win the super bowl because as we saw last year the team with the deadliest dline wins the super bowl.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers signing wont put us over the top IMO. We have KGB. He's not Peppers but they are very similar in strenghts & weaknesses.

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But hes an everydown lineman and hes much better then KGB. If we can put him in there we can use jenkins back in the DT spot were he was much better than DE. Peppers is a play maker and gets his sacks mid game rather than at the end of a game.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
But hes an everydown lineman and hes much better then KGB. If we can put him in there we can use jenkins back in the DT spot were he was much better than DE. Peppers is a play maker and gets his sacks mid game rather than at the end of a game.

It does seem like Jenkings is a lot better at DT. He came on fairly strong there at the end of the season / playoffs. I'm sure it won't happen, but a KGB / Kampman / Pepper's DE rotation and a Harrell / Jenkings / Pickett / Jolly / Cole rotation would be MASSIVE and would be hard to stop.

Plus we'd be covered when the inevitable injuries happen. Have Jenkings move to DE occasionaly, and then Pepper's filling in for KGB / Kampman occassionaly on passing downs. It would be constant pressure and a dream for a defensive coordinator and a nightmare for offensive coordinators. Maybe even mix things up with a 5 man defensive line rush, with KGB / Peppers / Kampman all charging at the QB.

Ahhh, to dream!

:pop:

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think he's trying to say Peppers is as good as Reggie White was I think hes just trying to say that it would be sorta the same magnitude as the white signing. For example the white signing put us over the top to win the super bowl like that was really the big addition we needed and if we signed peppers that would put us over the top to be able to win the super bowl because as we saw last year the team with the deadliest dline wins the super bowl.[/quote]

No Steve, I agree with you, both Peppers and Freeney, may be mosters in pass rushing, but they have always been a bit of a liability in the Run game, thats initially why I said I'm not sure I'd want him. I am in no way saying Peppers is equal in Skill to White. I got to watch White play a lot back when he was in Phily as I also follow the Redskins, I am not sure if there is a single DE in the league that even remotely has a complete game like Reggie White Did. There could be, but I'm not so sure. However, my comparison was more in regards to the Reggie White Acquisition, not what it did for the team. Remember we didn't make it to the Super Bowl that First year he was there, I'm almost certain we were not even a play off team until the next year, I'd have to go check stats and records to be sure, but the Magnitude of a player as respected as Peppers coming to Green Bay would be about what I was referring too.

The question is, what would you be willing to part with to get him?

1st and 4th?

1st and one of our 3rds?

1st and a 2nd?

I'm almost certain it will take at least 2 draft picks, maybe 3 (with a conditional late rounder based on performance next year)

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
steveGB said:

It does seem like Jenkings is a lot better at DT. He came on fairly strong there at the end of the season / playoffs. I'm sure it won't happen, but a KGB / Kampman / Pepper's DE rotation and a Harrell / Jenkings / Pickett / Jolly / Cole rotation would be MASSIVE and would be hard to stop.

Plus we'd be covered when the inevitable injuries happen. Have Jenkings move to DE occasionaly, and then Pepper's filling in for KGB / Kampman occassionaly on passing downs. It would be constant pressure and a dream for a defensive coordinator and a nightmare for offensive coordinators. Maybe even mix things up with a 5 man defensive line rush, with KGB / Peppers / Kampman all charging at the QB.

Ahhh, to dream!

:pop:

ok i originally hated the idea.... and im really not sure about Peps mental and physical health.... but damn that does sound good. Games are won and lost on the line of scrimmage so they say. and that lineup of our Dline would be pretty damn intimidating and we do have some cap space and roster room.

like dodd said... it decreases the injury worry, it keeps everyone fresh and even last year when peppers had a down year. he seemed to find the ball a little bit.

i personally think a strong defensive line covers up for a lot of things that may be missing. we saw it all last year in the playoffs... gettin pressure on the quarterback is KEY.... and if we can do that... i think it will relax our offense and we can win some ball games.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
One potential issue that I see with this whole theory.. is Peppers and Kampy play the same spot and either has played the other side.. not saying a switch can't happen, but just thought I would throw it out there... Ends get used to rushing and playing from a particular spot..

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One potential issue that I see with this whole theory.. is Peppers and Kampy play the same spot and either has played the other side.. not saying a switch can't happen, but just thought I would throw it out there... Ends get used to rushing and playing from a particular spot..

Yeah I was wondering about that too. I thought Peppers was a Right DE (from the O-s Perspective)

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Yeah I was wondering about that too. I thought Peppers was a Right DE (from the O-s Perspective)

Yeah, all I said is just a pipe dream I'm sure. I REALLY doubt Peppers would come here, but it's still cool to dream! We could do lots of creative things with a guy like that and our current personnel.

Members online

Latest posts