Jordyzzz not your average white guy?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packersinsider.com/2011/11/jordy-not-your-regular-white-guy/

Funny article from Rob Reischel of the Journal-Sentinel.
Well not that funny, but parts of it are.

Jordy Nelson knows it’s there, even if some believe the topic should be taboo.
When Nelson, a Green Bay Packer wide receiver, comes to the line of scrimmage, opposing cornerbacks see a tall, lanky player. A farm kid from Kansas who’s certainly not going to beat you with his initial quickness.
Oh, and one more thing.
“To be honest, guys try me a lot because I’m white,” Nelson said. “I’m definitely not trying to make it a racial thing, but it’s the truth. And they can be fooled all they want, as long as it keeps going.”

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Great post Frank. I've considered him better than James Jones and nobody seems to listen. I guess it's all in the perception. I just love that tall fast receiver types we've not had forever. Nice to see the bs calls about our offensive lines being a certain "look" done with and now we can put all the WR stuff behind too.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Great post Frank. I've considered him better than James Jones and nobody seems to listen. I guess it's all in the perception. I just love that tall fast receiver types we've not had forever. Nice to see the bs calls about our offensive lines being a certain "look" done with and now we can put all the WR stuff behind too.

I think Jordy is a solid receiver, but the positions we put him in and who we put him on at the LOS, they are often mismatches and he looks a lot better than he probably really is. I couldn't see him being a very successful starter on many other football teams, in fact the only receiver that would be a #1 on any other team in the league is Jennings.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think Jordy is a solid receiver, but the positions we put him in and who we put him on at the LOS, they are often mismatches and he looks a lot better than he probably really is. I couldn't see him being a very successful starter on many other football teams, in fact the only receiver that would be a #1 on any other team in the league is Jennings.
Are you implying we decide who we line him up against on the LOS? I think Mike McCarthy would love to determine a matchup against Jordy but I've never seen it that way. I'm stunned, nay, I'm shocked to see you think Jordy Nelson is a situational WR who has benefited from the system. I'd argue that there are a large number of teams who would pay tall cash to have Jordy as an option. Likely top 10 2nd receiver in the game.
Just for conversation's sake, what part of Jordy's game don't you think is prime? Speed, Size, Hands, ROC? Clutch?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Are you implying we decide who we line him up against on the LOS? I think Mike McCarthy would love to determine a matchup against Jordy but I've never seen it that way. I'm stunned, nay, I'm shocked to see you think Jordy Nelson is a situational WR who has benefited from the system. I'd argue that there are a large number of teams who would pay tall cash to have Jordy as an option. Likely top 10 2nd receiver in the game.
Just for conversation's sake, what part of Jordy's game don't you think is prime? Speed, Size, Hands, ROC? Clutch?

I'm not necessarily saying he's situation or not prime. Every part of his game is solid, but no part really sticks out exponentially. For example I think Jennings' route running and hands are some of best in the league. Jordy is a big body receiver who is very solid and rounded, but I don't see a real glaring quality that makes him stick out. Jordy can do everything well, but not anything exceptional. Doesn't mean I think he's garbage, though

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After I read this in the linked article, I had to look it up on YouTube.
Nelson was 100% as a senior and he became an Internet sensation when he ran away from Kansas’ Aqib Talib – the top cornerback in America – on a 68-yard touchdown reception.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Boy...we could be entering into Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder territory here...but what the hey... ;)

My son asked me why I only played one year of college ball once and I had to be honest with him..."Because son, I was slow, white, farm boy." ..and I didn't just make that up. My teammates kind of stuck me with that but, they'd add that it wasn't a whole lot of fun when I caught up with them. One guy said, "You're just MEAN." ...anyway, every time Nelson burns one, my son and I chant the same mantra... "White boy!"

Looking at Nelson, you'd NEVER expect that the kid has the after burners that he has. The ability to get open and then, to take the hit (if they catch him). Further, he does a lot of the Packers' related shows in the Green Bay market and make NO mistake...this guy IS the a-typical 'farm boy'...but I think we'd all have to admit that he's not the a-typical NFL receiver.

You know, as I type this I've come to realize that none of our receiving corps seems to be the 'typical' NFL receiver. Jennings and Driver ... tough as nails and always smiling -- having FUN. Jones...all business, focused and intent...Finley, the big new kid with all the talent in the world-talks a little crap but doesn't realize he's talking crap ... Cobb, personality yet to be determined. Thing is, with each of these men, you can just tell that their intellectual elevators go all the way to the top. No dumb jocks in this group of young men.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy...we could be entering into Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder territory here...but what the hey... ;)

My son asked me why I only played one year of college ball once and I had to be honest with him..."Because son, I was slow, white, farm boy." ..and I didn't just make that up. My teammates kind of stuck me with that but, they'd add that it wasn't a whole lot of fun when I caught up with them. One guy said, "You're just MEAN." ...anyway, every time Nelson burns one, my son and I chant the same mantra... "White boy!"

Looking at Nelson, you'd NEVER expect that the kid has the after burners that he has. The ability to get open and then, to take the hit (if they catch him). Further, he does a lot of the Packers' related shows in the Green Bay market and make NO mistake...this guy IS the a-typical 'farm boy'...but I think we'd all have to admit that he's not the a-typical NFL receiver..
You're right, and I'm glad you aren't afraid to even mention it. Jordy mentioned it..... reluctantly because it's the elephant in the room.... for some reason.

People are free to discuss gender, or height, or weight.... but not race. I never can understand why that subject is so scary for some to discuss.

Everyone knows it.

Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson in the movie White Men Can't Jump. I mean that was the title of the movie! Come on folks, relax.
Peyton Hillis.... you know how much discrimination he's taken for just being white?
It is what it is....

Now, all 5 of our super receivers are A) good, and B) good people!
We have no divas..... we have good guys. Good people.... Jennings? Great guy.... Donald, great guy, Jones great guy, Jordy great guy, and Randall Cobb, great guy too!

Ted Thompson is brilliant at this position. Terrance Murphy would have been a great one too, and he's a super dude.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest: Jordy does benefit from playing on this offense with Rodgers.
So does Jones, Driver, Jennings, and Cobb.
None of them would be as great on any other team. Rodgers is the best, and so is this passing offense, great play designs.

But these WRs are great as well and I feel they are the most underrated aspect of our team.
Rodgers seems to get 99% of the credit, when I think it should be about 55% credit to Rodgers, 45 to the receivers.
Maybe 50-50. These guys just get open more than any other group... it amazes me and seeing the game in person last week in San Diego, made it so much easier to see, as the cameras only tend to follow the football.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Stereotypes certainly exist but I don't think Jordy's race has factored into anything this season. All NFL players study A LOT of video – they’re forced to in team meetings and I’d bet almost all spend extra time on their own studying - so no DB in the league can be surprised at Nelson's speed or Rodgers’ exquisite precision on long balls after last season.

There was a great piece in the jsonline insider (pay service) titled, “Master of the pieces” which talks about the evolution of offensive schemes since the advent of the west coast offense. (BTW Paul Hackett who learned the WCO from Walsh was McCarthy’s mentor.) It quotes McCarthy as saying, "Some people were systematic or all about the matchups. The ability to put together two schools of thought is something I felt that we were able to do here with our offense."

Where McCarthy diverged from the classic WCO most is he doesn’t ask Thompson to acquire a certain type of WR, he only asks that Thompson acquire athletes at the position. The article points out Jennings, Driver, and Cobb are small to average sized WRs who are quicker than fast. Nelson and Jones are bigger, stronger WRs but each can run by DBs. IMO that distinction makes more sense than one based upon race.

The most important reason the Packers offense is so prolific IMO is the other-worldly play of Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers deserves a ton of credit for developing his God-given talent as he has. But that’s not the only reason. Another reason he is able to play at that level is Thompson has provided incredible athletes at receiver, including Finley. And another reason is McCarthy’s schemes are adept at exposing mismatches those athletes can take advantage of.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also love the fact that rodgers kept giving him the ball in the superbowl depsite his dropped passes. that shows how good he is if he still gets multiple looks after big catches.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd just like to see the author address Nelson and his qualities without that Average White Guy Thing. :(
My best friend has good friends in the NFL, including the Lions tight end Tony Scheffler, another caucasian of course.
Incidentally, Sheff got be some sweet Z-Tecs which I customized into Packer shoes, but that's another story.

About 3 or 4 years ago, Sheff talked about how he gets tons of racial taunts from opposing DBs, safeties. One in particular was a Viking safety named Tank. My buddy is a Viking fan, but when he heard what he kept saying to Tony over and over, he immediately hated his own player...... You can't say stuff like that, the other way at least. It would turn into a, well, Jimmy the Greek thing as someone mentioned before.

Jordy, and Peyton Hillis, John Kuhn, Wes Welker..... had we walked in their shoes, we'd know what they've seen, heard.
Everyone wants to pretend there's no racism or discrimination, but there still is, and always will be. Always.
People, society ignoring it, hiding from it, being afraid to talk about it, doesn't do anything to help it.

Anyway, I love Jordy.
Erik Decker of the Broncos reminds me an awful lot of him.
Anyone see Tebow's gorgeous bomb TD pass to Decker today to beat the Chiefs?
Go Tebow!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As far as I know, racism and xenophobia have existed as long as humans. I don’t see an argument here that they haven’t or don’t still. However, that does not mean Nelson’s success is due to the color of his skin. And it’s one thing to talk about race but another to root for or against players based on their race. Not that anyone is doing that here…

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the way Jordy plays, I hate to make the comparison to other white WR's. That's too obvious.

Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Johnny Morton. Johnny had that deceptive athleticism. When DB's lined up to cover him it hit them how athletic (regardless of race) they are. When he was with the lions EVERY DB focused on Herman Moore, with the Pack DB focus on Greg Jennings you know how good these guys are. You line up and you got Johnny/Jordy, your are like "ok I got this" then BAM! you were just burned for 6 pts.

D

Dan115

Nelson and Jennings both have 7 td's. THe Packers have never had two receivers with double digit TD's in a season.

Members online

Latest posts