Jordy Nelson

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching 2011-2012 highlights and all I keep seeing is Jordy Nelson long bomb TD's . I realize his stats were helped by Jennings missing time. But never once have I heard him in the discussion of a top 10 reciever. Last year he was 3rd in TDs with 15 and 9th in receiving yds 5th in Avg per reception and top 10 in a few other categories. Not to mention he put up the numbers he did with only 68 receptions(31st most).I obviously know he's not in the same category as Fitzgerald, Calvin and Andre Johnson. But I have heard plenty of people talk about AJ Green Dwayne Bowe and others but never Jordy Nelson.

How effective do you think Nelson will be in 2012-2013 and do you think he is a top 10 receiver?

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

:tup: Very effective. At 5ft 10in he is not the largest receiver on the team, but he is a football PLAYER ! He's dependable, quick off the line, smart, savy, has good hands, etc... I see him not as a flashy press hunter, but as a solid journeyman that quitly goes about his job. The team is luckey to have him. :tup:

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have been a huge fan of Nelson's since they drafted him, although I will admit I did want a CB during that draft and Flowers was available.
To answer your question Nelsons numbers won't be the same for a few reasons 1) Rodgers won't have as good of a year so as his stats go down so will his receivers. This brings me to my second point 2) the receiving corps is loaded (seems like it gets deeper every year) driver is the only one who will decline Jennings, Jones, and Finley will continue to get high targets and Cobb's numbers should greatly increase. With Gurley or Borel, or maybe both seeming like they will make the team targets will decrease for nelson. All of these factors will make Nelson's numbers lower than a year ago. I don't think being targeted more by the defense will make too much of a difference since we still have Jennings and Finley who require a lot of attention on their own.

With this being said I do not see Nelson's play going down. He is still very young and so versatile. IMO def a top 5 receiver, and def high then jennings. He has good hands, is a good route runner, has pretty good speed, and is a very unselfish individual all just like jennings. Unlike Jennings he is 6'3" and is very strong. Nelson is also different then most top end receivers in that he can lay special teams, return punts and kick-offs, and is a good blocking receiver. One thing that i have never seen him do is be able to go up and get the ball in a crowd.

If I was drafting receivers for my team my top 5 would look like this

1) Megatron (Calvin Johnson)- not even going to explain this one
2) Andre Johnson- Injuries are a little scary but just so productive over previous years is tough to ignore
3) Fitzgerald- look what he did when he had a legit QB throwing to him
4) Green- Mostly basing this one on potential
5) Nelson- Stated above why

Honorable Mention Welker, White, Jennings, Bowe

Maybe I am missing someone big but I do not believe I am.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:tup: Very effective. At 5ft 10in he is not the largest receiver on the team, but he is a football PLAYER ! He's dependable, quick off the line, smart, savy, has good hands, etc... I see him not as a flashy press hunter, but as a solid journeyman that quitly goes about his job. The team is luckey to have him. :tup:

5'10?!? He is MUCH bigger than that. Sure you aren't thinking of another white WR? Maybe Wes welker?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have been a huge fan of Nelson's since they drafted him, although I will admit I did want a CB during that draft and Flowers was available.
To answer your question Nelsons numbers won't be the same for a few reasons 1) Rodgers won't have as good of a year so as his stats go down so will his receivers. This brings me to my second point 2) the receiving corps is loaded (seems like it gets deeper every year) driver is the only one who will decline Jennings, Jones, and Finley will continue to get high targets and Cobb's numbers should greatly increase. With Gurley or Borel, or maybe both seeming like they will make the team targets will decrease for nelson. All of these factors will make Nelson's numbers lower than a year ago. I don't think being targeted more by the defense will make too much of a difference since we still have Jennings and Finley who require a lot of attention on their own.

With this being said I do not see Nelson's play going down. He is still very young and so versatile. IMO def a top 5 receiver, and def high then jennings. He has good hands, is a good route runner, has pretty good speed, and is a very unselfish individual all just like jennings. Unlike Jennings he is 6'3" and is very strong. Nelson is also different then most top end receivers in that he can lay special teams, return punts and kick-offs, and is a good blocking receiver. One thing that i have never seen him do is be able to go up and get the ball in a crowd.

If I was drafting receivers for my team my top 5 would look like this

1) Megatron (Calvin Johnson)- not even going to explain this one
2) Andre Johnson- Injuries are a little scary but just so productive over previous years is tough to ignore
3) Fitzgerald- look what he did when he had a legit QB throwing to him
4) Green- Mostly basing this one on potential
5) Nelson- Stated above why

Honorable Mention Welker, White, Jennings, Bowe

Maybe I am missing someone big but I do not believe I am.

No Cruz? Steve Smith? Colston?

Pretty sure Dez Bryant is going to have a break out season too but wouldn't belong on that list yet.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
5'10?!? He is MUCH bigger than that. Sure you aren't thinking of another white WR? Maybe Wes welker?

Yes hes 6-3. Watching just 1 regular season Packer game a fan can see that hes the biggest WR we have.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Cruz? Steve Smith? Colston?

Pretty sure Dez Bryant is going to have a break out season too but wouldn't belong on that list yet.

Forgot about Bryant but as you said probably a little too early to put him on. Smith I left off mainly as an age thing he is getting up there in years and his speed should decline. Colston and Cruz call me a hater I just do not see them as being top tier guys, they are good I just have them more as top 10 then top 5 guys.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talking about Jordys height got me checking our roster. Dale Moss is 6-3 and Tori Gurley is 6-4. I knew Gurley was tall but was a bit surprised that Moss was 6-3. I thought Jones was taller than 6-1...maybe its the long arms.

I've been a Nelson fan since the day we drafted him btw.

OP
OP
slaughter25

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First bold, I see no evidence showing that his play has any reason to decline. The rules are only favoring offense and QB's more and more each year. Like you said all of the talent on that side of the ball should only improve with more experience, why would that all lead to a decrease in production from Rodgers?

Second bold, If the names of these two guys continue to circulate around the nfl i think it could be fair to say they have a good chance of signing elsewhere. There is only so much room and if everyone stays relatively healthy in the WR corps and I don't think the team is very interested in getting rid of the older veterans (driver contract). Even if everything you said happens I still dont think it is out of the questions for him to get around 60 receptions and post similar numbers. If Rodgers still completes around 350 passes this year ( which barring injury he should be + or - 10 of that based on his career stats) 20% of 350 is still 70 and being the number two guy on the team should net him between 60 and 70 imo.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I can see Nelson either being an early season threat, or late season threat but not the full season. Not that he doesn't have it in him though, just defenses are going to pick up on him and cover him more. He does a great job reading defenses and makes a lot of great decisions on the field.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Watching 2011-2012 highlights and all I keep seeing is Jordy Nelson long bomb TD's . I realize his stats were helped by Jennings missing time. But never once have I heard him in the discussion of a top 10 reciever. Last year he was 3rd in TDs with 15 and 9th in receiving yds 5th in Avg per reception and top 10 in a few other categories. Not to mention he put up the numbers he did with only 68 receptions(31st most).I obviously know he's not in the same category as Fitzgerald, Calvin and Andre Johnson. But I have heard plenty of people talk about AJ Green Dwayne Bowe and others but never Jordy Nelson.

How effective do you think Nelson will be in 2012-2013 and do you think he is a top 10 receiver?

More effective then last year. His work with Rodgers during OTA's didn't fall off one bit. I think he explodes even more ion this offense.... so many weapons to cover.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First bold, I see no evidence showing that his play has any reason to decline. The rules are only favoring offense and QB's more and more each year. Like you said all of the talent on that side of the ball should only improve with more experience, why would that all lead to a decrease in production from Rodgers?

Second bold, If the names of these two guys continue to circulate around the nfl i think it could be fair to say they have a good chance of signing elsewhere. There is only so much room and if everyone stays relatively healthy in the WR corps and I don't think the team is very interested in getting rid of the older veterans (driver contract). Even if everything you said happens I still dont think it is out of the questions for him to get around 60 receptions and post similar numbers. If Rodgers still completes around 350 passes this year ( which barring injury he should be + or - 10 of that based on his career stats) 20% of 350 is still 70 and being the number two guy on the team should net him between 60 and 70 imo.

If you look at the season after a QB throws 40 or more TDs he almost always has a decline.

But maybe 40 is the new 30...

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Who are you talking about here?

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Jordy is a blue collar player. He is tough and figures out a way to get it done. I liked him from the start. He is a great asset and should only get better.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

TO, Ochocincko, etc. are press hunters. Their team comes in second to their getting press coverage. Jordy Nelson, like Larry Fitzgerald and others are team players, They don't run from the spotlight, but neither are they chasing after it.
The PLAYER has earned my respect, bigtime. :tup:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OT, Ochocincko, etc. are press hunters. Their team comes in second to their getting press coverage. Jordy Nelson, like Larry Fitzgerald and others are team players, They don't run from the spotlight, but neither are they chasing after it.
The PLAYER has earned my respect, bigtime. :tup:

Who is OT?;)

Members online

Latest posts