Jordy Nelson

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinions on why he's not are two=fold. 1. JJ was drafted ahead of him and TT is stubborn about his picks, he wants them to work out as they are drafted. 2. Jordy is bigger, faster and more sure handed than JJ but he lacks the elusiveness for YAC which the Packers are obviously really high on.

If TT 'is stubborn' was the reason:

1. JN was drafted in the 2nd round; JJ was taken in the 3rd; wouldn't that mean he would promote the higher pick?
2. Why did he cut Brohm - a high 2nd round pick?
3. Why isn't TJ Lang not starting over Bulaga or Patrick Lee over Tramon?
3. Besides, he doesn't decide who starts, the coaching staff does.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Yep Amish, I worded my post wrong, I meant it has to be one or the other. I believe it's more the elusiveness factor.
Also:
1. JJ was drafted before JN and that's why he's in front, not the round in which he was taken.
2. They cut Brohm because he wasn't any good, that's not an issue with JN
3. You wanna analyze the entire roster?
4. He doesn't decide, but you have to figure he's got the coach's ear if he wants to see someone play right?

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4. He doesn't decide, but you have to figure he's got the coach's ear if he wants to see someone play right?

This is the only point I really have a comment on, simply for discussion purposes. I feel that TT does not have the ear in the sense of seeing someone play. It is TTs job to assemble the roster with the assistance of MM, but it is MM and his staff to determine who plays and puts them in the best position to win games. TT most likely has very little say, if any in that department. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but that's just how I see it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Rizzo decided that the reason that the Packers haven't enough playoff appearances is because TT has made some bad personnel moves. He pointed to picking Jordy Nelson over Desean Jackson. He claims this was an obvious pick because some dude named WalterFootball on the internet recommended Jackson.

I called him on it. Basically, I don't believe you can evaluate a GM on a single pick or a single personnel move. Instead, I believe you need to look at draft performance in aggregate.
Well here we are, 2 weeks later, and DeSean Jackson's SPECIAL TEAMS electricity has saved the Eagles another football game, whereas once again our special teams helped us lose a game for the 4th time this season.

Can you imagine if our special teams would actually help WINus some games every year, like a DeSean Jackson or Devin Hester Monday night? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-NC2w0cFEs"]YouTube - Desean Jackson Punt Return TD for Eagles Win vs Giants 12/19/2010[/ame]

In case some haven't noticed, special teams is 1 of the 3 phases of the game, and ours REGULARLY LOSES us yards/points/games and very very rarely, if ever, helps us GAIN points/wins.

And it wasn't just Walter Cherpinsky that had DeSean Jackson rated ahead of Jordy Nelson! All the names you know from Kiper to McShay to Mayock also did and all the regular fans like us on footballsfuture and Scott Wright's Draft countdown.

Now DeSean Jackson taking punts or kicks back for TD's, or scoring deep as a receiver... that's nothing new. He did it in college, at Cal, same school as Rodgers, Bishop, Marshawn Lynch, did it in.

Jordy's decent. He had a bad drop on Sunday night, but the bottom line is -let's use the word aggregate- we all know our SPECIAL teams HAS SUCKED for 6 years now under Theodore, and that despite 2 or 3 special teams coaches.

And this is ONE OF MANY BAD MOVES in that department. He drafted Corey Rodgers in the 3rd round, but chose Jordy over Jackson, and it's proven to be one of numerous mistakes that have continued to hurt our special teams.

If our special teams was at the B to A level, we would probably be 11-3 right now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyOvCVAACjo"]YouTube - DeSean Jackson 2009-2010 Season Highlights[/ame]
Perhaps TT has something, some criteria wrong when evaluating special teams ability. He took Corey Rodgers from TCU in 2006 in round 3. Only when he got to Green Bay, they found out he can't catch.

Can you imagine if we won a few close games a year because of OUR big special teams plays? Instead of us losing a few games every year because of them?

Hester, Cribbs, Percy Harvin, Bush, DJackson.... those guys have changed so many games.

PackersFan28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm personally fine with Jordy Nelson. We can't go back in time so I believe we can make use of him as he has plenty of talent. He is probably having some drops due to the roller coaster type playing time he is receiving.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well here we are, 2 weeks later, and DeSean Jackson's SPECIAL TEAMS electricity has saved the Eagles another football game, whereas once again our special teams helped us lose a game for the 4th time this season.

Can you imagine if our special teams would actually help WINus some games every year, like a DeSean Jackson or Devin Hester Monday night? YouTube - Desean Jackson Punt Return TD for Eagles Win vs Giants 12/19/2010

In case some haven't noticed, special teams is 1 of the 3 phases of the game, and ours REGULARLY LOSES us yards/points/games and very very rarely, if ever, helps us GAIN points/wins.

And it wasn't just Walter Cherpinsky that had DeSean Jackson rated ahead of Jordy Nelson! All the names you know from Kiper to McShay to Mayock also did and all the regular fans like us on footballsfuture and Scott Wright's Draft countdown.

Now DeSean Jackson taking punts or kicks back for TD's, or scoring deep as a receiver... that's nothing new. He did it in college, at Cal, same school as Rodgers, Bishop, Marshawn Lynch, did it in.

Jordy's decent. He had a bad drop on Sunday night, but the bottom line is -let's use the word aggregate- we all know our SPECIAL teams HAS SUCKED for 6 years now under Theodore, and that despite 2 or 3 special teams coaches.

And this is ONE OF MANY BAD MOVES in that department. He drafted Corey Rodgers in the 3rd round, but chose Jordy over Jackson, and it's proven to be one of numerous mistakes that have continued to hurt our special teams.

If our special teams was at the B to A level, we would probably be 11-3 right now.

YouTube - DeSean Jackson 2009-2010 Season Highlights
Perhaps TT has something, some criteria wrong when evaluating special teams ability. He took Corey Rodgers from TCU in 2006 in round 3. Only when he got to Green Bay, they found out he can't catch.

Can you imagine if we won a few close games a year because of OUR big special teams plays? Instead of us losing a few games every year because of them?

Hester, Cribbs, Percy Harvin, Bush, DJackson.... those guys have changed so many games.

right on bro

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

!
LOL, that's the look on aaronqb's face every game we lose because our special teams lost their battle.
that's actually ALL our look.

but don't complain about any of the personnel moves there by ted. it's 100% always on the special teams coach. has nothing to do with the personnel. a coach should be able to work magic with whoever the GM provides him with.

that's what you guys are saying.

you just love to all say "fire the coach, he's on the hot seat, fire the special teams coach, etc... "

LOL, blame the coach always. that's fine.
but don't blame the GM because he's hit on some of his picks.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STILL waiting for the name of the GM with that perfect draft record ....

The Cardinals were always a laughing stock. But they got washed up, unwanted, discarded QB Kurt Warner, and they had a magical run to a Super Bowl one year, then the next year made the playoffs again and outscored us. That win over us was as many playoff wins as we have in Ted Thompson's tenure here.

Go Cards!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
you can qoute me on this later if im wrong or right. but we need to draft a speedy wide receiver. im a firm believer in high speed guys. a fast kick returner who can also be our number 3 wideout would be perfect. the reason the SEC is so prominent and full of ranked teams is because they have strong defenses and lots of guys with speed.
now i am in no way saying we dont need to draft and fix other positions but a speedy explosive offensive and special teams playmaker would make all the difference

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STILL waiting for the name of the GM with that perfect draft record ....

Your Exhibit A Arizona Cardinals are sure doing great this year. 4-10, isn't it? I believe they were 9-7 during their "magical year" and would not have even made the playoffs had they not been in the NFC West.
Let's not blame the Cardinals for being in a soft division.
They still beat an NFC South team (Atlanta), and an NFC East team (Philly) to get to the Super Bowl. We couldn't even beat them last year in the playoffs.

As for a perfect GM... come on, you're way above that petty stuff.

Belichick, Bill Polian, Parcells.. they all make their share of mistakes. So did Wolf. You want perfect? You're dreaming.

But I'd like special teams addressed with action in terms of personnel and a proven coach. Thank you.

Not lip service.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not blame the Cardinals for being in a soft division.
They still beat an NFC South team (Atlanta), and an NFC East team (Philly) to get to the Super Bowl. We couldn't even beat them last year in the playoffs.

As for a perfect GM... come on, you're way above that petty stuff.

Belichick, Bill Polian, Parcells.. they all make their share of mistakes. So did Wolf. You want perfect? You're dreaming.

But I'd like special teams addressed with action in terms of personnel and a proven coach. Thank you.

Not lip service.

Right on bro

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, that's the look on aaronqb's face every game we lose because our special teams lost their battle.
that's actually ALL our look.

but don't complain about any of the personnel moves there by ted. it's 100% always on the special teams coach. has nothing to do with the personnel. a coach should be able to work magic with whoever the GM provides him with.

that's what you guys are saying.

you just love to all say "fire the coach, he's on the hot seat, fire the special teams coach, etc... "

LOL, blame the coach always. that's fine.
but don't blame the GM because he's hit on some of his picks.
I just think your expectations of a GM are just too much. You can't expect every whole to be filled every year. You just have to look at the talent that TT has brought to the team. The Packers are very talented. I know the bottom line is winning, but you still have to consider the big picture and look at the injuries the Packers have had to overcome. I am fairly certain that any other team looses 11 starters, 2 who are considered in the top 5 of importance, and you are looking at a below .500 record.

In my opinion, TT is the best GM in the NFL right now. I wouldn't be surprised if this decade brings at least 2 or 3 SBs. With the talent level, youth, and key superstars, I wouldn't trade our team for any other team.

To pick 1 draft pick and say we should have drafted another guy is silly. What about the other Jackson, Chad, who we passed up and went with Jennings instead. Most fans were screaming about that one also. Turns out TT was right. I do wish we had the other Jackson right now, he turned out pretty good. But don't discount the fact that he was a bit of a head case and that is why he dropped in the draft. He could have just as easily gone the other way and be sitting at home ala Johnny Jolly right now.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread was about Jordy, and about Jordy and DeSean Jackson. Are you telling me that me and Ivo were the only guys here who were mad WHEN THAT PICK WAS ANNOUNCED?

So should every topic just be reverted to the ole "Well TT's hit on Rodgers and Matthews so he's great".... ????

The bottom line in this business, this sport, are Super Bowls, and playoffs.

On that respect, which we call the bottom line, what grade would you give TT's overall body of work if he finishes his 6th season as team architect in 3 weeks, and we miss the playoffs and still only have one long playoff game win to show for it (over the crappy Seachickens who we have seen since then are terrible).

Honestly, I'd say his past performance is worthy of a C+. Some nice work in a few regular seasons. A couple terrible seasons. A single playoff win is par for the course as most teams have as much over the past 6 years.

Right on

Members online

Latest posts