Johnny Jolly

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m curious to know how people feel about giving him a chance to redeem himself, given that the team are continuing to support Hargrove.
Just interested ! I`d like to see him given a chance myself.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dont know. Everytime he said he was clean and wouldnt make the same mistake. Id hate to see the Packers get burned by him again

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can trust him.
He's a repeat criminal.
Not a Packer-person.
Bad character.
Belongs on the Cowboys.

Never could get sacks anyway, when young and talented.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try out? Sure. If he impresses, 90 man roster. And then go from there.

I personally think his career in football is over.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I`m curious to know how people feel about giving him a chance to redeem himself, given that the team are continuing to support Hargrove.
Just interested ! I`d like to see him given a chance myself.

Little different supporting someone that may have been involved with late hit for cash..Or someone that has illegal drugs twice

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers supported Favre when he was also addicted to opiates..

Didnt say the Pack wouldnt support Jolly...Just dont compare selling/taking/addicted to drugs to paying cash for late hits

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can trust him.
He's a repeat criminal.
Not a Packer-person.
Bad character.
Belongs on the Cowboys.

Never could get sacks anyway, when young and talented.

He is an addict, not a criminal. The prison system is full of "criminals" (non-violent drug offenders)

We've had plenty of "non-packer people". Walden beats his girlfriend, Shields throws his out on the street, even how Favre like I said before was addicted to pain killers. We're only human after all.. Sounds like you want a team full of devoted Christians or something..

I say give him another shot, If Ray Lewis and Donte Stallworth can kill people and still be in the league I see no reason Jolly shouldn't get another chance

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We've had plenty of "non-packer people". Walden beats his girlfriend, Shields throws his out on the street

Walden was never found guilty..So your statement is false..So please dont say that again.....thank you

Last I checked to kick someone out of a house isnt a crime ( Shields)

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Let Jolly try out, if he can make the team good for him, he made some great plays when he did, also if he can keep under curfew and keep away from trouble, he can really redeem himself. If he can outplay who we have now, and get our defense rolling, keep him, if he contributes nothing, cut him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like a "happy ending". It would be good to see him granted reinstatement by Goodel, and catch on somewhere. Whether that's in GB or somewhere else, I don't much care. Just want to see him stay clean, and hopefully if he is able to, I absolutely want to see him putting his visibility to good and try to help young men and women clean up their own lives before they end up in prison.

OP
OP
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

The Packers supported Favre when he was also addicted to opiates..
That was my thinking too EvAn. The guy has obviously got a problem, or at least HAD a problem, and reading recent reports, he KNOWS he screwed up, which is a big step to addressing the problem. I think somebody on here suggested various things to help him.....curfews, or even moving him to the Green Bay area etc. He wore the green so he IS one of ours, wether we want that to be true or not. I just dont think it would hurt to at least give him a chance to redeem himself fully.....Just my opinion though.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 8 DL now better than Jolly, and none are addicts or criminals.... we've turned the page on Jolly hopefully.
Again, check the stats... how many QBs did he ever sack when he was young and in shape? It won't be better now.
He used to just stop at the LOS and try and bat balls down half the time.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 8 DL now better than Jolly, and none are addicts or criminals.... we've turned the page on Jolly hopefully.
Again, check the stats... how many QBs did he ever sack when he was young and in shape? It won't be better now.
He was never a sack machine.. However he did have I think 12 passes defended and an interception in his breakout season as a 300lb. Big man, somee would say that's useful in today's pass happy league

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walden was never found guilty..So your statement is false..So please dont say that again.....thank you

Walden's girlfriend went to the hospital and he spent almost a week in jail, he was never found guilty in exchange for 50 hours of community service after he pleaded no contest (NOT a not guilty plea)

And I never accused Shields of committing a crime I said his and Walden's behavior isn't like what everyone likes to call "packer people" behavior.

This is all besides the point, all I'm saying is Jolly's PERSONAL drug use is no where near as bad in my eyes as the handful of NFL players arrested on DUI charges every year where they endangered themselves along with anyone else on the roads/sidewalks.. If they get another shot why not this guy? America loves a comeback story

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can trust him.
He's a repeat criminal.
Not a Packer-person.
Bad character.

He had an addiction. He did NOT have bad character. He was very gracious to the fans when he was here and always willing to talk to anyone, much like Gilbert Brown was/is.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd like a "happy ending". It would be good to see him granted reinstatement by Goodel, and catch on somewhere.

If Goodell will reinstate Vick and not Jolly, then something is seriously wrong. BTW, I hear there are some massage parlors in Milwaukee that can help you with that "happy ending" thing.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

His girlfriend dropped the charges. Doesn't change the fact that she had to call the police in the first place.

Shields did nothing wrong. Probably was trying to avoid what Walden likely didn't.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If Ray Lewis and Donte Stallworth can kill people and still be in the league I see no reason Jolly shouldn't get another chance

Lewis didn't kill anyone. He was charged with obstruction of justice for initially trying to cover for one of his drunk friends who DID kill someone. Big difference. Stallworth, OTOH, was drunk and killed someone with his car. He shouldn't be playing. Of course, Ted Kennedy set the precedent for that one.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Why the exclusive reliance on sack stats for a DL? The last we saw Jolly on the field was the ’09 season. In 16 regular season games he recorded 39 combined tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble and 10 passes defended.

Compare that to Pickett’s stats for that season: 13 games, 33 combined tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles and 2 passes defended. Would you interpret that stat line in the same way and say all Pickett did was “stop at the LOS and try to bat balls down” only far less effectively?

IMO it’s foolish to cite a single stat in evaluating the play of any player. And that is particularly true of a DL playing in a 3-4, or 2-4-5 scheme. Jolly passed the eye test as a big athletic man on the DL who could penetrate the OL and disrupt the offense. Jolly hasn’t played in two seasons and he’s approaching 30, citing those as reasons for not wanting him to return makes sense IMO. Even questioning his character makes more sense than citing one stat alone, which IMO makes no sense whatever.

I understand the tendency of Packers fans to diminish the talent of a player who may never don the Green and Gold again, but looking at the stats and facts lead to a different conclusion. And right now, there is no way one can say with certainty that the Packers have 8 DL who are better than the 2009 version of Johnny Jolly. The Packers have 12 DL on the roster. Four have never played an NFL snap. Two, Wilson and Wynn were incredibly disappointing last season and neither approached the play of Jolly in ’09. Three are NFL vets new to the Packers; there’s no way to know how they’ll fit in to Capers’ schemes. That leaves three: Raji, Pickett and Neal. Jolly's production if he returns is certainly a question mark but its far from the only one.

Finally I understand those who believe Jolly isn’t a “Packer person” but remember Thompson and McCarthy don’t share that opinion. After both knew all the details of Jolly’s initial arrest, he played two full seasons for the Packers and the Packers hold his rights today.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last I checked Ted Kennedy never played in the NFL.
Good call there.
As for Jolly and sacks: remember, what this defense was missing, BADLY, last year was a pass rush. Jolly brings nothing to the table there. That's what I was saying. Pickett does a fine job clogging the lanes on short yardage runs. Way better than Jolly.
And that was Jolly before all that Purple Drank, Prison, and aging.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As for Jolly and sacks: remember, what this defense was missing, BADLY, last year was a pass rush. Jolly brings nothing to the table there. That's what I was saying. Pickett does a fine job clogging the lanes on short yardage runs. Way better than Jolly.
How about pressures and hurries? How about TFL? IMO your bias has you stuck on the sack stats or your memory is just bad. The reason Jolly recorded that incredible stat of passes defended for a DL was because he got penetration, not because he just jumped up at the LOS. Go ahead and attempt to diminish his talent if it makes you feel better, but you don't describe the player I, and I'll bet most Packers fans watched.

Members online

Latest posts