Johnny Jolly reinstated, suspension lifted

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

He was one of ours. I say at least give him a try at bootcamp, there`s no harm in looking at even at his age, he may give us that time to mold a younger player.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins or Johny Jolly?
Who would u be less surprised to see in a Packer uni come September?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well, since he is still a Packer. He signed the tender for $2.5 million before his suspension. The real question is, "Do the Packer bring him back, or just outright cut him?"

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really didn't think he would ever be reinstated. Goodell has taken a pretty hard line on trouble makers. I assume that Jolly did enough to prove to Goodell that he had truly changed his ways.

I'm always a fan of giving guys a shot. I know that there is always the thought about giving young bucks a chance, but I think you've got just as good of a chance having a hungry vet prove his worth as a UDFA.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I've seen more than a few people post on the board about wanting Jolly to be allowed back into the NFL. Well, here ya go! I'd love to get the band back together with Jolly, Jenkins, and Raji. Probably won't happen though. I wonder if Jolly would be interested in a practice squad deal until he got back into football shape?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I understand what everybody thinks about Jolly being out of the game for three years, but what harm can it do the team to give him a shot ?? At worst he will prove at training camp he has lost his step, at best he will have a hunger to prove himself and put the younger players to shame.......which might not be that hard. WIN...WIN

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I've seen more than a few people post on the board about wanting Jolly to be allowed back into the NFL. Well, here ya go! I'd love to get the band back together with Jolly, Jenkins, and Raji. Probably won't happen though. I wonder if Jolly would be interested in a practice squad deal until he got back into football shape?

I wonder if Johny Joly is eligible to be put on Packer practices squad. I doubt it, he is three year veteran,

H

HardRightEdge

I actually didn't realize there were restrictions to the eligibility for the practice squad.

Without getting into all the ins and outs, practice squad is limited to guys with 3 years or less in the league, and no more than 8 games on an active game day roster. It's a developmental squad.

Any team can sign away a PS guy provided they put him on their 53 man roster, so stashing any known talent there is inadvisable.

That's by way of misc. information...it has nothing to do with Jolly.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder what he weighs, how much he can lift, and if there's any quickness left?

I guess it will take the $595,000 4-6 year vet minimum to find out.

30 years old and 3 years out of football...a real long shot.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what he weighs, how much he can lift, and if there's any quickness left?

I guess it will take the $595,000 4-6 year vet minimum to find out.

30 years old and 3 years out of football...a real long shot.
On the up side, he had a lot of time to get swole in prison.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My real hope, even if a long shot, is that the Packers release him, bring him back for the vets minimum, give him a shot in training camp, and Jolly works hard and makes the roster on the D-line rotation. I would love for it to happen.

They are going to release him, thats for certain, they arent going to pay him 3 mil when hes been out of football so long. The only question is if they give him a shot at vets minimum. I hope they do. Everyone deserves a shot at redemption, and its not like we couldnt use help on our D-line if he can still be productive.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prison can do many things to a man. It can give you time to think and reflect, providing the fuel and motivation to succeed. It can give you time to think and reflect, fueling the anger and resentment that got you into the mess in the first place. I'm sure that one way or another, Green Bay's leadership is going to have to talk with Johnny just about being released. They should get a good gauge on where he is at mentally and physically.

If the guy walks in looking like they sewed a spare tire around his belly, they'll kick him out the door. If he looks like he's been lifting weights and staying in shape while singing the Folsom County Blues, they will bring him into camp or have him do some private workouts.

One important thing to remember about old(er) players is that it's partly the age and partly the mileage. Jolly was sitting up on blocks for three years. He may still have the spring in his legs...or he might have flat spot in his tires. We will see

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think the lack of wear and tear would outweigh the 3 years out of the game. As for being in "football shape", is he in shape at all? If yes, then training camp and preseason should cover football shape. If no, forget him, he's not motivated. I'd still like to see Jenkins signed and #1 or other high pick for a D-Lineman.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I believe adambr2 is correct: The reason the Packers have his NFL rights is because they offered and he signed a tender in 2010 - I thought it was less than $3M but the point stands. They will have to release him or pay him the tendered amount so it's likely he'll be released (unless there's a grace period dictated by the commissioner). Once he's released, he can sign with any team so it's not a slam dunk he'll want to return to the Packers. If he wants to, if I were Thompson I would insist that he move to Green Bay and tell him if he goes back to Houston he'll be waived. If he's in shape I'd give him a very modest signing bonus - about $50K just to get him - and his mother if she wants - to Green Bay. Jolly wasn't strong enough to stay away from his "friends" in Houston and even if he's been there since getting out of jail, I'd insist he move and if he didn't want to, he could find another team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
waaaaaay more trouble than he is worth.

He gets arrested again and we will look like the bengals or vikings. This franchise is above crap like that. Let him go try and play for Dallas. I'd be shocked to see him on a roster week 1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts