Johnny Jolly faces up to 20 years on drug charg

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...030/1058/PKR01

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly could face up to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted of a felony drug possession charge in Texas.

Jolly, 25, was arrested July 8 in Houston for possessing at least 200 grams of codeine, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Harris County District Attorney's Office. He was freed July 9 after posting $10,000 bail, according to court records.

He is scheduled to be back in court for a July 22 arraignment.

It is not known if prosecutors will pursue charges of intent to distribute the drug. The charge could change after a grand jury decides whether there is probable cause to go forward in the case, said Donna Hawkins, a Harris County assistant district attorney.

Grand juries generally hear evidence within 90 days of filed charges, Hawkins said Monday.

At the July 22 arraignment, Jolly's attorney, Brian Overstreet, will have a chance to look over the charge and meet with prosecutors.

Overstreet could not be reached for comment Monday.

The Packers are scheduled to report for training camp on July 27.

If convicted on a drug charge, Jolly could be subject to discipline under the NFL's personal conduct and/or substance-abuse policies.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy **** thats a long time. Lets hope he beats the wrap and can get away with a first offense ruling from Goodell.

With good behavior we could have him back on the 2015 roster though. so we got that going for us.

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not to worried YET. You will be surprised at what the maximum sentences to some felonies are. Just because it is the maximum sentence, doesn't mean it will necessarily be anywhere near that long of a sentence if they charge him.

After reading that, I noticed that there are a lot of big if's.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What drug was he caught with and what does it do? It seems to me like it's a prescription drug which you'd think would be better, but who knows. Sucks because this guy would bat one ball down at the line a game.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What drug was he caught with and what does it do? It seems to me like it's a prescription drug which you'd think would be better, but who knows. Sucks because this guy would bat one ball down at the line a game.

He was caught with a large quantity of codeine, which is a prescription pain killer, but is heavily abused in college and inner city circles by making Purple Drank.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not to worried YET. You will be surprised at what the maximum sentences to some felonies are. Just because it is the maximum sentence, doesn't mean it will necessarily be anywhere near that long of a sentence if they charge him.

Correct. The max and min sentences are guidelines for the sentencing judge or jury, not absolutes.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Purple Drank is sizzurp. Does that clear things up? ;)

It's a party drink that usually contains codeine and promethazine. It was first made really popular in the Texas/southern hip-hop scene. Jolly is from Texas.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

It's a party drink that usually contains codeine and promethazine. It was first made really popular in the Texas/southern hip-hop scene. Jolly is from Texas.

Curse you Texas. Why didn't you secede from the nation when you had the chance?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yeah i realize he probably wont get maxiumum sentence. but if 20 years is maximum i dont wanna see minimum because even if its 6 months to a year or something... that still rules him out of our plans.

so yeah you might wanna get worried.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Possession of prescription drugs without a prescription from a doctor is a felony. Especially pain killers. Just 1 pill the size of an aspirin can get you a felony charge.

As a comparison marijuana is only a misdemeanor in most states in quantities less than an ounce.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
djcubez said:

Possession of prescription drugs without a prescription from a doctor is a felony. Especially pain killers. Just 1 pill the size of an aspirin can get you a felony charge.

As a comparison marijuana is only a misdemeanor in most states in quantities less than an ounce.

Thanks for the info, I'm always happy to learn new things. I wouldn't compare anything to Cannabis though because it's in such a gray area now legally. Most other drugs have felony possessions.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think that the young men who get the opportunity to play a professional sport would see that anything drug related is a bad career move and they would avoid it at all costs. His salary may not be record breaking but he would be looking at a bigger pay day when his current contract expired.

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy **** thats a long time. Lets hope he beats the wrap and can get away with a first offense ruling from Goodell.

With good behavior we could have him back on the 2015 roster though. so we got that going for us.

i like when you said 2015.... :D

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
djcubez said:

He was caught with a large quantity of codeine, which is a prescription pain killer, but is heavily abused in college and inner city circles by making Purple Drank.

Thanks Nodak. I was wondering why Codeine.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

Curse you Texas. Why didn't you secede from the nation when you had the chance?

Um. Because they tried to and didn't succeed. Remember the Civil War?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think that the young men who get the opportunity to play a professional sport would see that anything drug related is a bad career move and they would avoid it at all costs. His salary may not be record breaking but he would be looking at a bigger pay day when his current contract expired.

You'd think, but he is a DT, and DTs generally have the lowest Wonderlic scores.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:

You'd think, but he is a DT, and DTs generally have the lowest Wonderlic scores.

I know but GEEEEEEZ.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/PKR01/307150055/1058/PKR01

Houston police found cups containing codeine syrup in a vehicle driven by Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly earlier this month.
Advertisement

Jolly, 25, was arrested July 8 in Houston and later charged with possessing at least 200 grams of codeine, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Harris County District Attorney's Office.

The following details emerged of Jolly’s arrest, according to Houston Police Department spokesman John Cannon.

Officers of a specialized unit were patrolling a parking lot of a nightclub known for narcotics and weapons violations when they approached Jolly’s vehicle at 1:10 a.m. July 8 at 3409 Cavalcade St. on Houston’s near north side.

Police heard loud music coming from the vehicle and saw four people inside. When asked if there weapons inside, the driver said yes. Police found a semi-automatic pistol on the floorboards. A 21-year-old man was charged with misdemeanor unlawful carrying of a weapon. Police detected the odor of codeine and found a couple of cups of codeine inside the vehicle.

During a search, police found a bag of marijuana on a 22-year-old man, who was charged with misdemeanor possessing marijuana. A fourth person was released and not charged.

Jolly was freed July 9 after posting $10,000 bail, according to court records. He could face up to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted. He is scheduled to be back in court for an arraignment July 22.

It is not known if prosecutors will pursue charges of intent to distribute the drug.
The charge could change after a grand jury decides whether there is probable cause to go forward in the case, prosecutors said.

Grand juries generally hear evidence within 90 days of filed charges.

At the July 22 arraignment, Jolly’s attorney, Brian Overstreet, will have a chance to look over the charge and meet with prosecutors.

Those guessing Purple Drank were right.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading that and knowing that Jolly will probably get a decent attorney, I doubt he'll get an intent to distribute. That said, he'll probably still see some kind of jail time plus probation/community service.

Members online