Joey Porter, a fit for our team?

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I saw the other day that the dolphins released OLB Joey Porter. Keep in mind however there are some conflicting reports that the next day he was placed back onto the roster list for reasons unknown, hopefully more on that later.

But say that he is released, do you think he is someone the pack should pursue? I know he is a bit older and a complete knucklehead, but he does have extensive experience in the 3-4, right now is far better than Brad Jones, and has worked with Dom Capers before in his scheme.

Personally I like the idea, since it gives us an expereinced 3-4 linebacker (which we honestly don't have 1 on our roster at this time) and someone who can rush the passer other than Clay Matthews. Your thoughts?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be a great fit for our team considering that OLB is one of our main concerns. Like I said before, it would depend on how much TT is willing to bring back Kampman because Porter's contract is cheap change compared to how much we would have to spend to tender Kampy.

However Porter never really flourished under Capers' defense. In the '07 season where the phins went 1-15 Porter had a low sack count of only 5. The next year under a new defense he amassed 17.5.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I would rather have him in the mix on defense than Kampman. No offense to Kampy, I love the guy, but Porter is believe is a better fit for our system. Not sure he would fit in Green Bay though.

Bossfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once he is officially released, TT would be crazy not to sign Porter. He will be cheaper to sign then Kampman and should be fine for 1-2 years. I would be happy for 5-6 sacks out of him next season. He would be a great addition for a Super Bowl push next season.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need young Linebackers, so I hope TT doesn't attempt to get him. I don't think he will either.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porter isn't staying with the dolphins. A clause in his contract prevents him from being released until march 5th. Once that date approaches he'll be released again.

OP
OP
C

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason he wasn't released is because if the dolphins did release him before March 5th they would be over the cap for this year, so they could either release another person from their roster and then release porter, or just wait for march 5th and release him then. Trust me, why would they have tried to release him just to bring him back like that, thats a compelte media nightmare. They are gonna dump him, just watch.

OP
OP
C

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also seems like he runs his mouth a lot. I'm not a big fan of that.

Our defense could use a little swagger if you ask me. Once they start getting tread on (aka against Arizona and Minnesota) they have a hard time of coming back from that. I think someone who can get to the quarterback, create turnovers, and be in the opponents head could do us some good. And if anything he will be a great teacher of the 3-4 technique. like I said before, we have ZERO veteran 3-4 linebackers, just saying.

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A main reason we hate the Vikings is because of Brett Favre of course, and the loud talking ******* Jared Allen. So we're going to bring in a guy just like him. And, Porter talks crap about his own teammates. Do you really want that in the Packers locker room?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If we can bring in a guy as disruptive on the field as Jared Allen, I don't care if he calls if he's murdered before.

I don't like Minnesota, but I have mad respect for Jared Allen. Dude can play.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't like having *** holes on our team.
I remember when Brett Favre was still a Packer I was a senior or junior in high school or something. At the time I really wanted to be a journalist. I went to a journalism conference and there was a sportswriter from The Post Crescent or GB Press-Gazette or one of those larger local papers there to give a speech. He told us a story about how he wouldn't let his son buy a Favre jersey because he didn't think Favre was a good role model. He told us about how wrong public perception was about Favre. He told his son to buy an Aaron Rodgers jersey and wait. And this was while Favre was still universally beloved by everyone in this state. (This was during Q&A time, he didn't volunteer this info to us without provocation, just so everyone knows. Lol.)

This isn't to defend Jared Allen, it's just to point out that people on the Packers might not be so nice as their public image suggest. There's probably as many ******** on Green Bay as there is any other team.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I remember when Brett Favre was still a Packer I was a senior or junior in high school or something. At the time I really wanted to be a journalist. I went to a journalism conference and there was a sportswriter from The Post Crescent or GB Press-Gazette or one of those larger local papers there to give a speech. He told us a story about how he wouldn't let his son buy a Favre jersey because he didn't think Favre was a good role model. He told us about how wrong public perception was about Favre. He told his son to buy an Aaron Rodgers jersey and wait. And this was while Favre was still universally beloved by everyone in this state. (This was during Q&A time, he didn't volunteer this info to us without provocation, just so everyone knows. Lol.)

This isn't to defend Jared Allen, it's just to point out that people on the Packers might not be so nice as their public image suggest. There's probably as many ******** on Green Bay as there is any other team.

Probably. Brett Favre is no the man that his public persona suggests. I've seen him downtown Green Bay under circumstances that are less than reputable. Use your imagination. I think a lot of people know about what I'm talking about, and for some reason the Green Bay Press-Gazette gave him a free pass. I think he got a free pass from the Green Bay media during his substance abuse issues as well. Certainly not the kind of guy I would want my kids looking up to.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he could help i guess. but i sure aint a big fan of his. would worry about disaray in the locker room.but if he could keep his mouth shut and be a team player instead of a individual it could be a good thing. its taking a chance anyway you look at it

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Yeah, anyone who frequented downtown Green Bay in the last 10 years would share the same sentiment about the jerk from Mississippi.

Gerard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate Jared Allen.

I like Joey Porter. I would like to see him in the green and gold. A little trash talk never hurt anyone, but it's not the Packers style so I think TT is going to stay away...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the guy at least earns a workout with the pack at the very least if miami decides to officially release him on march 5.

OP
OP
C

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think management gives two poops about whether a guy is a trash talker or not you're not living in reality. He is concerned with making his team better, and let's face it, Joey Porter is FAR AND AWAY a better player RIGHT NOW than Brad Jones, plus he can help Jones develope into a true pro.

And HELLO Al Harris is a HUGE trash talker, thats all he does with the receivers he lines up with. Hell probably half of these guys are trash talkers, it's part of the mental aspect of the game.

Members online

Latest posts