Joe Theismann- Rodgers Is The Best Passer Ever

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
On NFLN preview

Greatest q/b when it comes to throwing the football ever to play the game..

Word for word..

Not sure if I would go that far..But it is nice to see him getting some love!!

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love my authentic #12 size 50 jersey. I have an A-rod Fathead on my wall. Just too soon for this. In a few years we will talk Joe. :)

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Which just to show that even complete conceited idiots can sometimes come close to the truth.

My favorite Joe Theismann announced game was when some team was getting totally trounced and losing by about 21 points, and old Joe saying they should start play action passing.

Joe, they were down 21 points, whats the use of play action?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the best QB ever, yet, but I feel like A-Rod is the best in the NFL right now.
He has led his team to 7 straight wins. (Do I hear 8?)
Has beaten both the AFC and one of the best NFC teams.
Both teams were in recent SBs
No other QB has done this.

I'm re-watching in awe what A-Rod and the Pack did to the Falcons in the playoff game.
And I'm sitting there thinking, 'This is the best QB and the best team in the NFL right now.'

Packernation Brady

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I read the quote right, Theismann is talking about Rodgers' ability to throw the ball and while I don't think there enough games to see if he does it long term, Rodgers does throw as good a ball as anyone in the league. I like "best quarterback to be selected 24th overall" and I think Rodgers keeps his body in position to throw when he is flushed out of the pocket better than anyone. I also think (with maybe the exception of Tom Brady) that Rodgers has the best back-shoulder pass in the league. But that is in the league...this is "ever to play the game" for me it is too soon. However, at the end of his career, when he is compared to Tom Brady Peyton Manning, F______, etc. we will have to bring in more than his passing ability. When receivers are covered on third and long, and your QB has to run for six yards, who would you take...Manning, Brady, or Aaron Rodgers?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I understand why Joe Thiesmann said that, but I think you need to consider a QB's entire career to make that determination. Best Ever!? That's a bold statement. But, yeah, right now he's playing at a level that is Elite no doubt about that.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If I read the quote right, Theismann is talking about Rodgers' ability to throw the ball and while I don't think there enough games to see if he does it long term, Rodgers does throw as good a ball as anyone in the league. I like "best quarterback to be selected 24th overall" and I think Rodgers keeps his body in position to throw when he is flushed out of the pocket better than anyone. I also think (with maybe the exception of Tom Brady) that Rodgers has the best back-shoulder pass in the league. But that is in the league...this is "ever to play the game" for me it is too soon. However, at the end of his career, when he is compared to Tom Brady Peyton Manning, F______, etc. we will have to bring in more than his passing ability. When receivers are covered on third and long, and your QB has to run for six yards, who would you take...Manning, Brady, or Aaron Rodgers?

I would agree with you that he was talking about placement of the ball

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't take what Theisman says seriously. Ever. Positive or negative. The man is an absolute moron.

How can you not respect a guy who speaks such gems as this:

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann, 1996.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to call Rodgers the greatest anything.
In this case it's not.

I thought that Favre was the greatest passer ever, but what Rodgers is doing right now and what he did in the playoffs last year, particularly in the SB, Rodgers' precision is the best I've seen, including tape of all the greats.

His touch on short balls isn't great, but his medium to long accuracy is unparalleled.

To put it in better terms, Rodgers can make the ball fit in windows that noone else EVER could put the ball into. And he does it several times. Those throws to Jennings in the SB, nobody else could make those throws. Anyone else would have that ball batted down by Clark and Taylor.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not even sure if Rodgers is for sure the best QB in the league.
But that's not what we're discussing here. Not quarterbacking as a whole, just the mechanics and precision throwing the ball.

Much more to it than just throwing. Jeff George was one of the greatest throwers of all time.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
Steve Young... mechanics
Michael Vick... running
Dan Marino... release
Peyton Manning... audible
Fran Tarkenton... scrambling
Bret Favre... arm
Terry Bradshaw... toughness
Tom Brady... leadership
Joe Montana... intangibles
Aaron Rodgers... accuracy
Ken Stabler... luck

and finally...

Joe Theismann... ego

~Val

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this case it's not.

I thought that Favre was the greatest passer ever, but what Rodgers is doing right now and what he did in the playoffs last year, particularly in the SB, Rodgers' precision is the best I've seen, including tape of all the greats.

His touch on short balls isn't great, but his medium to long accuracy is unparalleled.

To put it in better terms, Rodgers can make the ball fit in windows that noone else EVER could put the ball into. And he does it several times. Those throws to Jennings in the SB, nobody else could make those throws. Anyone else would have that ball batted down by Clark and Taylor.

Starr was a better passer than Favre ever was. Favre just had a bigger arm.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that's not what we're discussing here. Not quarterbacking as a whole, just the mechanics and precision throwing the ball.

Much more to it than just throwing. Jeff George was one of the greatest throwers of all time.

I was just making a statement RS. I guess what the thread was discussing was how crazy Joe Theisman is

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say that I've never seen anyone portray the type of accuracy that Rodgers has, particularly in the stretch run last season carrying over into this season. If he keeps that up, I would say that he could very well be the most accurate passer in NFL history.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr was a better passer than Favre ever was. Favre just had a bigger arm.
Which allowed Favre to put the ball in spots Starr wasn't able to.

Starr, from the film I saw, was an amazing decision-maker who knew where to put the ball in each play, but he wasn't able to make incredible throws, exactly because he didn't have the arm strenght. Actually, in one of his biggest throws, he puts the ball behind Max McGee, because the way the Chiefs covered it, Starr wouldn't be able to put the ball in a better position, for McGee to run with it. McGee adjusted beutifully and made the play anyway. But if it was Rodgers, but particularly Favre with the way he threw slants, the ball would've been placed better (though it needs to be said that the ball that Starr worked with was very different).

He even says so himself. He was amazing because he knew his strenghts and limitations. But Favre was a better thrower. Moon is another guy that threw the ball amazingly well... Having a big arm has a lot to do with it. It's that thing I've discussed with you before, not arm strenght to throw the ball far, though these guys surely had it, but the pinpoint accuracy, for those intermediate and deep balls, you need it.

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't take what Theisman says seriously. Ever. Positive or negative. The man is an absolute moron.
I'm Canadian and Theisman played in the CFL for a few years... and the league is not what the NFL is... not even close!!
Give him credit, he was a good QB but makes a living shooting off his mouth now... guy's gotta make some money somehow.
Rodgers is a pure rough diamond... the edges are starting to get smoother and once he is all polished up it will be a scary situation to watch. I think he learned a lot watching Favre... good and bad... and will turn out as a better all round QB in the long run... Rodgers can handle his ego and uses it to his advantage... not so sure about Favre.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't know how anybody got "best ever QB" out of this video. He's talking about "best thrower" and I agree. Again, we're not talking like he'll stay best ever. Just that he is at this point in his career. I think the best pure passer ever is Dan Marino but Rodgers is more accurate. I don't think it's a huge leap for someone to give the opinion that he's the best passer ever.
His skills could go south starting the very next game, but the way he's throwing the ball RIGHT NOW, I've never seen it done better.
BTW, yes, I do also think Thiesman is a goof but he's not really far off base on this assessment IMHO.

Reaction score
He didn't say that Rodgers was the best qb ever. He was the best QB at just physically throwing the football. He has a really good point. Please name any other quarterbacks that consistently have a really fast release, perfect spiral, perfect accuracy (Fitting the ball in the best spot for the receiver time and time again even when the receiver is not open), and extremely good throw power.

Members online

Latest posts