Jimmy Graham

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An article on espn mentions Geeen Bay as a destination for Graham.

Would you rather sign both Nelson and Cobb long term or Graham and Nelson, or Graham And Cobb?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm....I'd rather spend Graham kind of money on what we got or a free agent in a different position personally.....may have to let this question soak in...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot to mention the part where we have to give up a bunch of picks

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has plenty of weapons now and Graham is nothing more than a wide receiver.
I'd rather spend the money on the guys we have now or spend money on an inside linebacker.
We don't neeed Jimmy Graham.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After marinating and researching further this would not be in the best interest of the Packers I am like 99.9999% sure. Say just one or even two of (Quarless, Bostick, Rodgers or Lyerla) stick around...that is worthy especially with WR corps seemingly overflowing with cieling height in ability. If we are gonna do any kind of trade of this size let's freaking get a stud DL but even that I don't like though cuz TT and GB has proven they can build so let's keep building.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Even entertaining the idea of such a big baby hold out who is nothing but a money grubber is insane..... on top of needing other players, paying our current players and retaining valuable players. I wouldn't want Graham, he is starting to be a drama queen. If he wont be happy with the saints paying him 7+ million and bonuses each season, he aint worth it. Nothing but a cap sucker imo

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even entertaining the idea of such a big baby hold out who is nothing but a money grubber is insane..... on top of needing other players, paying our current players and retaining valuable players. I wouldn't want Graham, he is starting to be a drama queen. If he wont be happy with the saints paying him 7+ million and bonuses each season, he aint worth it. Nothing but a cap sucker imo

I have a hard time faulting any player that tries to negotiate a better financial situation for himself. Teams cut players with no regard, the earnings window is so small as you never know when your last down will be. Was Brett Favre a money grubber for getting the biggest contract in NFL history? Was Reggie White a money grubber when he picked the team that offered him the most $?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t blame Graham at all: It's not as if he is under contract and holding out. The Saints and Graham have until the 15th to work out a deal or the Saints can tag him. I doubt he’s going anywhere but if he is, it certainly isn’t the Packers. Whoever wrote that article must have forgotten Ted Thompson is still the Packers GM. Not only has Thompson already gone out of his comfort zone and signed a big name UFA this off season, he even signed another UFA who is likely to contribute. Beyond that, when was the last time Thompson traded a bunch of valuable draft picks for a veteran player and then pay him huge money?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have a hard time faulting any player that tries to negotiate a better financial situation for himself. Teams cut players with no regard, the earnings window is so small as you never know when your last down will be. Was Brett Favre a money grubber for getting the biggest contract in NFL history? Was Reggie White a money grubber when he picked the team that offered him the most $?

Graham is a TE who is wanting to get paid premium WR money. It was already decided by a board that he is a TE and not a WR. The saints have offered him damn good TE money, but he just can't seem to accept the fact that he is not a WR. Your comparisons are invalid imo. Favre was the best QB at the time and got great QB money, Reggie was the best pass rusher at the time and got best pass rusher money, graham is the best TE as of now, and should accept the best TE MONEY......He is not a WR. These jerk-offs don't realize they make more money in one season than almost all other Americans will ever see in a lifetime. That is greedy and money grubbing.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham is a TE who is wanting to get paid premium WR money. It was already decided by a board that he is a TE and not a WR. The saints have offered him damn good TE money, but he just can't seem to accept the fact that he is not a WR. Your comparisons are invalid imo. Favre was the best QB at the time and got great QB money, Reggie was the best pass rusher at the time and got best pass rusher money, graham is the best TE as of now, and should accept the best TE MONEY......He is not a WR. These jerk-offs don't realize they make more money in one season than almost all other Americans will ever see in a lifetime. That is greedy and money grubbing.

He is in contract negotiations and you think he should just accept what it offered? I think you are misunderstanding how negotiations work.

You sound like you are personally offended by players negotiations. He's just looking out for himself, as he should since this league stands for not for long.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I fully understand how the negottiation process works....... you are not understanding that he has been offered TOP money for his POSITION. He wants to be designated as something that he is not and wanting top cash for a position he does not play. So, by your logic, if a LB just by chance has more interceptions than a CB does, should he be paid like the top corners in the NFL..... no.....you get paid top money at your position. I agree that he is the best TE, no doubt, but what he is doing is hurting the team and making himself look like a jacka$$ to his teammates and the public. You didn't see Jordy nelson being a money grubber when it came time to extend did you? No, he is a team player and a decent guy. He is also a top NFL WR and could easily have gone the jimmy graham route.

D

Deleted member 6794

An article on espn mentions Geeen Bay as a destination for Graham.

Would you rather sign both Nelson and Cobb long term or Graham and Nelson, or Graham And Cobb?

The Packers would have to give up two first round picks to get Graham. So you can put that down in big letters:

JIMMY GRAHAM WON´T PLAY FOR THE PACKERS IN 2014!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully understand how the negottiation process works....... you are not understanding that he has been offered TOP money for his POSITION. He wants to be designated as something that he is not and wanting top cash for a position he does not play. So, by your logic, if a LB just by chance has more interceptions than a CB does, should he be paid like the top corners in the NFL..... no.....you get paid top money at your position. I agree that he is the best TE, no doubt, but what he is doing is hurting the team and making himself look like a jacka$$ to his teammates and the public. You didn't see Jordy nelson being a money grubber when it came time to extend did you? No, he is a team player and a decent guy. He is also a top NFL WR and could easily have gone the jimmy graham route.

You bring up jordy Nelson but when I bring up reggie white and Brett favre you dismiss it. Pretty big double standard, especially considering white sued the nfl which in the end he benefitted more than anyone at the time by receiving the 3rd highest contact in the nfl. Notice he didn't stop at his position. Some negotiations are more public than others though, Woodson was a money grubbed by your standards, it just never hit the press in the same way.

By my logic you should get as much as you can. JJ watt should negotiate to be the highest paid non QB in the league in my opinion. Negotiating with just your position in mind is not only foolish, it's doing yourself a disfavor.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT wouldn't sign Graham even if it cost him nothing in terms of draft picks. He's signed 3 FA's to decent contracts in 10 years - and he's never given away draft picks for a player.

I love Graham as a player - I own him in 2 fantasy leagues - but I wouldn't want to give up picks to get him; and have his contract ripple throughout the rest of the roster?? No thanks.

As I, and others, have said though... TT would never give up picks for a player.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think I'd pass on Graham for the Packers. Not because I don't think he's a terrific player (he is) but because the Packers offense and Rodgers don't really use TEs in the same manner that the Saints and Pats use them. Brees and Brady love to throw the high, fast pass that only the TE can jump for but Rodgers doesn't really throw that pass. Rodgers prefers to lead receivers or throw lobs to the sidelines. Not faulting Rodgers here, he's the best QB in the game and it just seems that it's a matter of preference. Plus, Graham is going to be very expensive and the Packers need help on defense, not offense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
• If I thought Graham was hurting the Saints I’d cheer, not post as if I were personally offended at his negotiating tactics.

• Players almost universally say their teammates should get as much as they can so I don’t think Graham is causing a problem in the locker room. Brees says ‘Jimmy’s my guy’.

• This is from a cbssports site: “According to ESPN.com, 45 percent of Graham's snaps were in the slot, 33 percent were as an in-line tight end and 22 percent were out wide.” I really don’t care but he certainly has an argument he spent more time at WR than TE. (I think the Saints have a valid counter argument too.) The article also mentions the Ravens Terrell Suggs argued he was more a DE than a LB and the Ravens settled it by offering him the average of the two tags.

• Graham made (by NFL “star” standards) a paltry $1.3M last season. Maybe if the Saints had approached him earlier…

• As I’ve posted before IMO the compensation of professional athletes is best thought of in regards to celebrities in the fields of music, movies and TV. Of course their compensation doesn’t compare to that of “ordinary” people.

• What Jordy said about his upcoming contract situation was extraordinary because so few people in his situation would say it. And let’s see what his deal ends up being…

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you really think Graham deserves to be paid less than Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, and Dwayne Bowe?

He has a legitimate argument and his case isn't through the appeals system yet. He's going to get paid less simply on a position title -- he certainly has just as much of an impact as many of the top WRs in the NFL. Its about a 80% difference in salary, can you honestly say you wouldn't seek the same raise in your professional career if there was a chance?

And I love Jordy but that comparison isn't remotely valid. At the time Jordy signed that contract he had never caught more than 2 TDs in a season. His best season to that point was 45 catches and 592 yards. Not even in the same comparative universe as Graham. The Packers took a chance on Nelson's upside and cashed in, and Nelson got security.

He certainly isn't taking an offer like that now, which would be a much better comparison, He will want to get paid and he should,

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You bring up jordy Nelson but when I bring up reggie white and Brett favre you dismiss it. Pretty big double standard, especially considering white sued the nfl which in the end he benefitted more than anyone at the time by receiving the 3rd highest contact in the nfl. Notice he didn't stop at his position. Some negotiations are more public than others though, Woodson was a money grubbed by your standards, it just never hit the press in the same way.

By my logic you should get as much as you can. JJ watt should negotiate to be the highest paid non QB in the league in my opinion. Negotiating with just your position in mind is not only foolish, it's doing yourself a disfavor.

I DID NOT DISMISS your other topics, go back and RE-READ my posts, I sure as hell did mention them. It is post #10

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Really? So by that logic then, the best kicker in the NFL should be negotiating for 15-20 mil per season? Because he should be negotiating money outside of his position...... LMAO.......get-outta-here with that logic

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? So by that logic then, the best kicker in the NFL should be negotiating for 15-20 mil per season? Because he should be negotiating money outside of his position...... LMAO.......get-outta-here with that logic

If you are that impactful and can show it? Sure. Kickers obviously dont have the ability to for numerous reasons, like snap count for one, but I guess a basic understand of the game has escaped you.

So why dont you think Reggie White is a money grubber?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Do you really think Graham deserves to be paid less than Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, and Dwayne Bowe?

He has a legitimate argument and his case isn't through the appeals system yet. He's going to get paid less simply on a position title -- he certainly has just as much of an impact as many of the top WRs in the NFL. Its about a 80% difference in salary, can you honestly say you wouldn't seek the same raise in your professional career if there was a chance?

And I love Jordy but that comparison isn't remotely valid. At the time Jordy signed that contract he had never caught more than 2 TDs in a season. His best season to that point was 45 catches and 592 yards. Not even in the same comparative universe as Graham. The Packers took a chance on Nelson's upside and cashed in, and Nelson got security.

He certainly isn't taking an offer like that now, which would be a much better comparison, He will want to get paid and he should,

I was speaking of Jordy's recent extention, so YES, it is a valid point. No doubt that Graham is an impact player and would be on any team, but he is a TE, cut and dry plain and simple. If he was somehow re-labeled as a WR then he would have a better argument to make more cash, but he is not. He would be simply setting the bar much higher at a faster pace for other TE's that are not nearly as good to be asking for more money, not as much as Graham, but still even more than what they should be making.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If you are that impactful and can show it? Sure. Kickers obviously dont have the ability to for numerous reasons, like snap count for one, but I guess a basic understand of the game has escaped you.

So why dont you think Reggie White is a money grubber?

I never said white was a money grubber did I? No, now you are putting words in my mouth I did not say, again, go back and reread......I guess reading comprehension has escaped you. Reggie was asked to come here and offered a fat check to do so. He was the premeire pass rusher and got paid according to his POSITION to be here with us. Graham is top dog at his POSITION, and should get paid top TE money, not top WR money. Chris Johnson left Tenn. because he thought that he should be making a crap load more money as a RB, a position that is taking on less and less money over the past few years. The RB position is becoming de-valued and he ended up signing with the Jets for a LOT less than what he was asking for in Tenn.....think that he finally figured out that his POSITION pay was becoming less and less. So, by your reasonong then (just guessing) Jimmy graham should be making as much as drew brees? He has just as much impact, right?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was speaking of Jordy's recent extention, so YES, it is a valid point. No doubt that Graham is an impact player and would be on any team, but he is a TE, cut and dry plain and simple. If he was somehow re-labeled as a WR then he would have a better argument to make more cash, but he is not. He would be simply setting the bar much higher at a faster pace for other TE's that are not nearly as good to be asking for more money, not as much as Graham, but still even more than what they should be making.

1) What was this recent extension of Jordy Nelson that you speak of? I haven't been able to find one that he signed since the one 3 years ago.

2) You never answered whether or not if you had a chance to receive an 80% raise professionally by arguing a potentially valid point to an arbitrator, you would do so.

3) It's not "cut and dry" and hasn't been in the long time. The TE position has evolved. If the pay structure is to remain the same, can Graham refuse to split out wide? After all, if he's a TE, why should he have to do the job of a WR most of the time? I'm part of a union at work, and if my employer continuously asked me to perform the responsibilities of a higher paying position but paid me at my current rate, I'm definitely going to argue that I should be paid at the higher rate.

4) You seem to believe that as long as a player is becoming the highest paid at their position, they should be content with this. What if the difference between them and the #2 paid player at that position is extreme? When Rodgers signed his contract with the Packers, Flacco at the time was the highest paid QB by yearly salary at $20.1M. The fact that Rodgers' contract was for $22M, and not $20.2M, was a reflection of the difference in worth between Flacco and Rodgers. Would you argue that if the Packers offered $20.2M, thereby making Rodgers the highest paid at his position, and he turned it down, that makes him a money grubber?

Members online

Latest posts