Jim Rhome questions Pack #16 pick...

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Jim Rhome on the radio...he was taking to some ESPN or NFL NETWORK guy and asked why GB took a tackle at 16 when fast receivers were on the board like Meachum? We took something like the 13th and 50 th receiver in the draft...WHY? Also...KC took the guy I wanted in the 7th Round from a Divsion III school...at tight end
Here are their numbers:

Michael Allan (Whitworth)
NFL Combines & Whitworth’s Pro Day
Tight End / 6-foot-7 / 254 lbs
40: 4.71 seconds (second among ALL tight ends)
Short Shuttle: 4.38 seconds
Three-Cone: 7.37 seconds
Vertical: 36 inches (second among ALL tight ends)
Broad: 10-foot-3 (best among ALL tight ends)
Bench: 19 reps

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's Tall and not heavy enough to block, most likely... some great reciving numbers though.... But if he plays like a WR and not like a TE with his body then the quicker corners will eat him up... and LB will wax the floor with him.

Reaction score
Also...KC took the guy I wanted in the 7th Round from a Divsion III school...at tight end
Here are their numbers:

Michael Allan (Whitworth)

If the Packers had taken TE Allan, the problem would have been that Allan is no where near ready to play the TE position. He is, at best, a 2-3 year project that has a ton of upside.

At worst, well he is a bust precisely because he doesn't have a history of putting his measurables too good use in terms of production.

So even if the Packers had gotten him, he really wouldn't have any sure-fire solution to our TE problems precisely because he is a long-term project.

Great value pick though, for the 7th round.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is the thing, Moss was in play and probably looked like the Packers were the only one in play for him. With that in mind, my guess is Ted was looking at the best available VALUE at 16 in his mind. Yes BAP does happen in Green Bay :)

As the draft went on and as the Pats name started to come into play for Moss, MY GUESS is Ted and company started to develop a backup plan with the Moss addition becoming a question mark.

I truly believe that Ted had Moss penciled in as the "playmaker" add. That would make sense with us looking into Key now.

IMO... Ted will find a way to add and veteran to this offense, either a RB to solidify the running game or a WR to take some pressure off the running game. Just a GUESS :)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the Packer scouting staff viewed players differently. The self-proclaimed experts had other players rated higher. Rather than naturally assuming the Packer coaching staff is incorrect perhaps it is best to wait and see how they look on the field before passing judgement.

What had Tauscher done before he was drafted?? How many thought on his draft day that Kampmann would be a Probowler? Many applauded Aaron Rodgers selection but he has contributed almost nothing.

These are just examples that at the draft you really do not know how the player will contribute. Mel Kiper has been wrong on many players as was Ron Wolf. Who last year thought New Orleans had a better rookie than Reggie Bush?

Give it time before whining and moaning.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted talks out of both sides of his mouth. He says they don't draft for need, but 'value'. While other teams had Harrell as a choice(Denver) no one had him ranked at 16. Meachem was ranked at 16, a value pick and also fills a need, possibly long-term.

If you are ranking players by value, how on earth could you not say Brady Quinn wouldn't have been the best value at 16? Regardless of the hype, the guy is a potential franchise QB. Wouldn't you think that ranks higher than a DT? Harrell might turn out to be a stud DT, but in reality, he better, given the draft position and the fact we had some fairly good DT's already on the roster. Aaron Rodgers? Since the winner would back up Brett Favre this year, let the winner have the job, trade the other. It was a win-win for the Packers.

Cleveland valued Quinn enough to give up its first pick next year, even though they have a couple of QB's around, including Charlie Frye.

I think the pick was also the beginning of the end for Corey Williams, at the very least the possibility of signing a Cullen Jenkins-type contract. The Packers won't pay two guys mucho dinero for essentially the same position, especially when you have a 6th round pick, Jolly, who is stupid enough to play his guts out for nothing. When he wants a market contract Ted will show him the door, too, I'm sure.

I could have fully understood if Ted traded down from 16, given his tendencies. But to take Harrell there was a bit of a reach and he left ignored the chance, potentially, to find the best player to succeed Brett Favre.

Regarding Jim Rome and all the other radio blabbers....take none of them seriously. You are merely a number on a piece of paper to them, which translates into dollars. They couldn't care less what you think.
It's all about ratings, so their rantings are nothing more than audio eargum designed to keep you around until the next ratings sweep.

The finest example I can think of is Colin Cowterd at ESPN. He mimics Rush Limbaugh, complete with the paper shuffling and limited-fact outrageous statements, so the sheep will go to his loud corral.

I listen but I really don't take what they say seriously. The print folks are still the best at letting you know what is going on, but they too, will be gone soon, victims of the Internet, TV and radio, and a general population growing less smart by the generation.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Harrell was considered a "value" because many thought that, had he been healthy, he would have been a top 10 pick this year. He is a stand up guy, captain of his team, and supposedly has the same work ethic of Kampman and Jolly. So, if he was in the packers eyes, a good value.

The draft is nothing more than an educated crapshoot. If you hit on 40% of your picks then you succeed. In my opinion, TT has done that so far.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meacham's value got pushed upwards throughout the offseason due to lack of high end talent at WR (other than CJ) but LOTS of depth at the position. Same with Bowe.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meacham is a pansy, I dont want guys on the Packers WR corps who are afraid to go over the middle and make catches in traffic.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meacham is a pansy, I dont want guys on the Packers WR corps who are afraid to go over the middle and make catches in traffic.

Still. Donald Driver is in my eyes the best in the league. We could still use a WR. Only problem I have with harrel is we had DT's. 5 of them. Only 2 can play at once and now we got 6. I hope harrel really goes on to do great.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When TT says he drafts based on talent and not need, he's not saying it's a law. It's merely an approach to the draft.

Not to mention if you said you drafted based on need you're liable to upset more of your current roster.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention he drafts on TTs best player available or value.... not what ever ESPN thinks is the best.

See he gets paid to go out and actually research these players, spend time with them, pump out proven actual information. when you freak out about a player getting picked maybe too high, its simply because ESPN told you so. Unless you were out there at the combine or inviting them to your house to talk... you dont know enough about em to fret over the pick.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other thing about DT is that the last 3 drafts have not had many quality DT's. It may not be a need now but will be in 3 or 4 years. The draft is for the future. There has been a lack of talent in the league at that position.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw one person say he could have seen Harrell going as high as 16. I can't remember where or who though.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When TT says he drafts based on talent and not need, he's not saying it's a law. It's merely an approach to the draft.

Not to mention if you said you drafted based on need you're liable to upset more of your current roster.

What it looks like to me is that Thompson went for an impact player in the first round and then was more needs-oriented in subsequent rounds. The biggest surprises later in the draft were the two linebackers and lack of a cornerback.

I like Jim Rome, and I usually like Colin Cowherd, for that matter. I think people sometimes take these guys too seriously. Each of them can be a little sensationalistic at times, but it goes with the territory. How many of us here could do their jobs better than they do? Probably none of us.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:
I saw one person say he could have seen Harrell going as high as 16. I can't remember where or who though.

I believe it was Pat Kirwan at NFLnetwork.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts