1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jim Bates

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by dannychau22, Jan 27, 2006.

1. dannychau22

dannychau22 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thats a step down if I ever heard it.

Bet he is regretting the 'mutual separation' right about now. I say this because I wanted Bates to go on and do great things...being Bills DC is not in that category.
  3. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a shame Bates didn't stay here. I think he "shot himself in the foot" so to speak. If he left for an HC job that would be understandable. But leaving Miami and then GB because he didn't get the HC job doesn't help how executives of other teams view him, right or wrong. If he stayed in GB and had another good year, which should have been likely as I'm sure the Pack will upgrade the personell on defense, he would have strengthened his credentials with consistency, stability and loyalty.
  4. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    agreed...like become hc of the packers...OK, sour grapes, I'll stop now, but as you said, he's proved he's a darn good coach and deserves to move up in the league in spite of his age.
  5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    he coulda stayed here and improved that top 10 defense he created, and maybe brought it to top 5, and again showed he is a great defensive mind.

But now he (rumors) will have to start all over again with the ragtag bills defense.
  6. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I would not have minded seeing Bates as HC, I think he deserves a shot, he is an excellant coach. But as I mentioned he may have hurt himself a little bit.

The age thing I think is rediculious. He's what, 58,59, if he is a head coach til 66 like I believe Vermiel is that's 7-8 years much more than most coaches in the league last. Also with his energy he may be going strong at 70.
  7. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, the Bills got a whole lot better. The Bills player personelle is VERY TALENTED. they have two shutdown corners, two aging, yet experienced safties, GREAT LB's, and a solid D-line. They however love to blitz, but Bates D will really have players who are talented this time around. The Bills are however only one mammoth DT (Grady?) away from contending again.
  8. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9 / 2 / -2
    I said that he might end up in Buffalo but I thought that he would be the HC. Dick Jauron was picked becase he has shown that he will be a loyal yes man no matter what and it looks like that is what Marv Levy wanted.
  9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    They got DICK JAURON! DICK JAURON!
  10. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't think he shot himself in the foot. He wanted out, not only to pursue a head coaching job, but also because it would have been difficult for him to work for MM after he thought he had the job and he obviously felt disrespected by TT. Note: to the TT protectionist...I am not saying he was disrespected...I am saying Bates felt that way! I think he would have left GB even if he knew the Buffalo DC position was the best that he can do.

Besides....it's Jauron.....there will probably be an opening there soon.
  11. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The last line in your statement says it all :lol: As i stated before... at least Jim Bates left with his head up and Balls attached. Not many DCs would pass up a 250,000 dollar raise to go into a already filling coaching pool. TT must have thought he had McCarthy and Bates in the bag...one Jim Bates proved him wrong. :twisted: Good Luck Jim Bates.
  12. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    Yes DePack..you stole my thunder...

I was going to say...

Perhaps it was the "Mighty TT"...or "Ted the Untouchable"...who offended or unsulted Bates in some way in his handling of him...as has been suggested widely in the media...??
  13. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol, screw Bates, we're moving on patck66.
  14. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47 / 4 / -0
    i do belive he will be in bufflo hate to see it but i'm thinking it's because he sees a chance in being h.c. there after this year,dick just does not have what it takes to be a head coach
  15. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    What do you know..Gakk?

Just eat your lutefisk and potetsuppe with glog, worship Thor, Odin, Njord, and Frey...and follow your own fotbol (..uh..i mean soccer) if you are going to say.."We"..unless you've got a mouse in your pocket....!!!

Last time I checked your name wasn't on the official Green Bay Packers organization chart..!!
  16. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I posted before he quit that I thought he would stay. He would be better off getting past not getting the HC job, staying, and, continue improving the Pack's defense than making a lateral move. Can't say he won't ever get a shot but it looks less likely at this point. His confidence that he would get a HC job somewhere has put himself in a bad spot.
  17. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I wonder what people said about him coming to the Packers near last placed defense last year.
  18. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    its still a bad move.

Hes not moving forward, hes not moving backwards. he is moving to yet another first year DC job.
  19. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    c'mon Tromadz...

You're really just "pissed" because Bates had jilted "your sweety" TT at the alter and told him to "shove it"....

You can share it with the group here....no one will judge you....
  20. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    sorry Favre66, like I said:

Thats a step down if I ever heard it.

Bet he is regretting the 'mutual separation' right about now. I say this because I wanted Bates to go on and do great things...being Bills DC is not in that category.
  21. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Funny, 66.......here you are making big gay fun of tromadz, and yet, you are the one who is constantly bringing up "man ***"....usually in the form of commenting on the former coach.

Projection, perhaps? LOL
  22. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bottom line is that our Team is young, coaches included and Bates could see the writing on the wall once he was not selected as the HC. Now he's the spry teenager with the Bills, considering their owner is 87 and their GM, Levy, is 80. He now will have security.
  23. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Bates is not the DC in Buf. Jerry Gray is.

Source
  24. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think Bates took a bit of a gamble in going for the HC position at Green Bay. He knew that if he interviewed and still didn't get the job he would probably have to move on to another team just for the sake of pride, and he may have even hinted as much to Thompson. Thompson, meanwhile, wanted to have it both ways, with a head coach of his choosing and Bates staying around to run the defense. If Bates had stayed on as DC after McCarthy's hiring, he would've felt like he was taken advantage of. And he probably would've been right.

I hope he does well in Buffalo. They have a lot of talent to work with.
  25. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    As I just said in the previous post :p

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches.jsp

Bates is not the DC in Buffalo, Gray is.