Jerry Kramer for the NFL Hall of Fame

D

Dan115

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here's a letter you can copy and paste if you want and the people that decide

Dear Hall of Fame Selection Committee: It's 3rd and goal at the one inch line. The temperature is 13 degrees below zero. 16 seconds on the game clock. Your third straight NFL Championship is on the line. Your quarterback has just suggested a play to your legendary coach. So "let's run the damn play and get the hell outa here!"

The play that must be run is PUT JERRY KRAMER IN THE HALL OF FAME!! Not only did Jerry Kramer make the block that delivered the Green Bay Packers to their third consecutive NFL Championship in one of the premier games in NFL history, he is one of the best guards to ever play the game.

Following his football career, he has been instrumental in bringing new audiences of varied interests and demographics to the NFL. Jerry Kramer was not only a 5-time All Pro Bowl Guard and selected to the Pro Bowl 3 times, he was one of the premier guards of his generation and era in the NFL. Your own Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee named Jerry to the NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1960s.

He is the ONLY player on the NFL 50th anniversary team not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That era saw some of the greatest running backs in football history: Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Donny Anderson, and Jim Grabowski. Jerry also protected one of the all-time great quarterbacks, Bart Starr. Someone had to open the holes and provide pass protection for those guys. As great as they are none could have achieved greatness by themselves. Many of JERRY KRAMER’s blocks led these stars to greatness!

Beyond his football abilities, Jerry's amazingly entertaining books have brought new fans to the NFL of all age groups and interests. "Instant Replay", "Distant Replay" and "Farewell to Football" attracted many new fans that likely would not have become fans if they had not read his books.

Jerry's public relations, numerous public appearances and motivational speeches to business and industry continue to benefit the NFL at a Hall of Fame level. Jerry continues to be an effective and endearing ambassador of the National Football League.

It is an atrocity that a man and a football player with the accomplishments of Jerry Kramer is not in the Hall of Fame. Let's make this horrible injustice right this year. Bring Jerry into the Hall of Fame. Many fans believe he belongs there. Many football players, coaches, executives and experts believe he belongs in the Hall. Let's put Jerry there so we can all give him the respect and celebrate his career accomplishments the way we want and he deserves. Thank you for your consideration.

2121 George Halas Drive Northwest
Canton, OH 44708

Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic

Atlanta Len Pasquarelli, The Sports Xchange

Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV

Buffalo Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News

Carolina Darin Gantt, Rock Hill Herald

Chicago Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune*

Cincinnati Joe Reedy, Cincinnati Enquirer

Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*

Denver Jeff Legwold, Denver Post

Detroit Mike O'Hara, The Detroit News

Green Bay Cliff Christl, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*

Indianapolis Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star

Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV

Kansas City Bob Gretz, KCFootballReport.com

Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald

Minnesota Mark Craig, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune

New England Ron Borges, Boston Herald*

New Orleans Pete Finney, Times-Picayune

New York (Giants) Bob Glauber, Newsday

New York (Jets) Gary Myers, New York Daily News

Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News

Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

St. Louis Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch*

San Diego Nick Canepa, San Diego Union Tribune

San Francisco Nancy Gay, FoxSports.com

Seattle Mike Sando, ESPN.com

Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune

Tennessee David Climer, The Tennessean

Washington David Elfin, WUSA-9

PFWA Darryl Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

At Large Howard Balzer, The Sports Xchange

At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today

At Large John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine

At Large John Czarnecki, FOXSports.co

At Large Dave Goldberg,
AOL Sports/

At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrate

At Large Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange*

At Large Len Shapiro, Miami Herald*

At Large Vito Stellino, Florida Times Union

At Large Jim Trotter, Sports Illustrated

At Large Charean Williams, Ft. Worth Star Telegram

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it´s a shame Kramer isn´t in the Hall of Fame, but I don´t think it will happen anymore.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's Christl's last column on the Kramer travesty: https://blog.packers.com/2014/04/26/why-isnt-jerry-kramer-in-the-hall-of-fame-2/

The matter now is in the hands of the Seniors Committee, a subsection of the HOF Selection Committee, who recommends 2 older players to be voted on for membership in the HOF. The 2 for 2014 are Ray Guy and Claude Humphrey. I don't believe the HOF publishes the names of the pool of 15 senior players from which the Seniors Committee chooses 2 for the annual selection vote. According to Christl, Kramer was the Seniors Committee nominee in 1997.

Would it be possible for this letter, or any letter, to be presented on this web site for all who choose to sign it? It could then be forwarded on to the HOF? I don't know how many members there are on the forum, but a letter signed by all of us might carry more weight than a letter sent by a few of us.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one will answer this (dan refuses to, and says Kramer is the reason Starr, Taylor, and hornung are in the hall)

Why are packer fans so outspoken about having Kramers case heard before the hof committee an 11th time and not equal or more deserving packers who have never had their case heard? I assume bc Kramer and his daughter are so public about this, but shouldn't we rally based on what they did on the field?

I'm not saying Kramer shouldn't be in the hall, but I'm saying let's support candidates that haven't had their case heard before. Dave Robertson got his case heard it believe for the 1st time and got in. Give support to the guys who haven't had their case heard

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one will answer this (dan refuses to, and says Kramer is the reason Starr, Taylor, and hornung are in the hall)

Why are packer fans so outspoken about having Kramers case heard before the hof committee an 11th time and not equal or more deserving packers who have never had their case heard? I assume bc Kramer and his daughter are so public about this, but shouldn't we rally based on what they did on the field?

I'm not saying Kramer shouldn't be in the hall, but I'm saying let's support candidates that haven't had their case heard before. Dave Robertson got his case heard it believe for the 1st time and got in. Give support to the guys who haven't had their case heard
I've got no problem with your suggestion, but the fact remains that the Hall members voted Kramer onto their 50th anniversary team, and to their 60s All Decade Team. I would imagine his inclusion on those teams are based on what he did on the field.

The obvious questions are: 1)why is he on those teams? And 2) why isn't he in the HOF if he's one of the best players of all time? Kramer is the ONLY player named to both of those honorary teams not in the HOF. It seems he's being punished simply because the Packers of the 60s was full of HOF caliber players.

Aside from Don Hutson and Emlen Tunnel there are no other Packers on the 50th anniversary team. But there are 13 Packers on the 60s All Decade Team, also voted on by the HOF members. Only Kramer, Dowler, and Don Chandler are not in the Hall from that team. The 60s team includes Gregg, Ringo, Starr, Hornung, Taylor, Davis, Nitschke, Robinson, Adderly, and Wood who are all in the Hall.

To exclude Kramer because he played with great teammates makes no sense. In fact, because he stood out as their equal only solidifies his inclusion in the Hall with them.

So it seems reasonable to push for Kramer above anyone else from the Packers. Once he's in, I'd agree that there are others that make a good case for inclusion.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got no problem with your suggestion, but the fact remains that the Hall members voted Kramer onto their 50th anniversary team, and to their 60s All Decade Team. I would imagine his inclusion on those teams are based on what he did on the field.

The obvious questions are: 1)why is he on those teams? And 2) why isn't he in the HOF if he's one of the best players of all time? Kramer is the ONLY player named to both of those honorary teams not in the HOF. It seems he's being punished simply because the Packers of the 60s was full of HOF caliber players.

Aside from Don Hutson and Emlen Tunnel there are no other Packers on the 50th anniversary team. But there are 13 Packers on the 60s All Decade Team, also voted on by the HOF members. Only Kramer, Dowler, and Don Chandler are not in the Hall from that team. The 60s team includes Gregg, Ringo, Starr, Hornung, Taylor, Davis, Nitschke, Robinson, Adderly, and Wood who are all in the Hall.

To exclude Kramer because he played with great teammates makes no sense. In fact, because he stood out as their equal only solidifies his inclusion in the Hall with them.

So it seems reasonable to push for Kramer above anyone else from the Packers. Once he's in, I'd agree that there are others that make a good case for inclusion.

No list guarantees induction into the hall. I don't get giving him an 11th look when more or as deserving players didn't get their 1st. 3 decades of hall of voters have said no. Let's rally in support of guys to get their first look.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The HOF obviously feels there are already too many Packers from the 60s in the Hall. Why would you think anyone else would have a chance to get in when a teammate felt to be one of the greatest of the first 50 years can't get in? All of it is wrong, which is the reason to keep up Kramer's campaign.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good post, JBlood (post #6). IMO the reason to get Kramer an 11th look is because the HOF made the same obvious mistake so many times in the past. The reason to continue to push for him is he is the most deserving Packer, by far, not already in. As a matter of fact he is #1 on the NFL Network’s list of the top 10 players not in the HOF who deserve to be. I count that as an objective source - his status as a Packer didn't factor in as it does with me and probably many reading this. Of course no list guarantees inclusion into the HOF, but one should. Making an all-decades team is one thing, there have been 9 decades since the start of the league. But making the 50th anniversary team in a league not yet 100 years old is another. And Kramer is the only player from that list not in the HOF. There are 287 members of the NFL HOF, but one of the best players the first 50 years of the league isn’t in the HOF and he’s the one omitted. It’s the greatest NFL HOF injustice.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s the greatest NFL HOF injustice.

No, its not. Dilweg is. He has NEVER had his case heard by the committee, and Jerry has 10x by 3 different decades of voters. Or how about about Gillingham? Bob Lilly said he was the best guard he ever played against.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No, its not.
We just disagree: I don't know of any way to get around the fact Kramer was chosen for the 50th anniversary team and not in the HOF. If there were 22-24 players on that anniversary team and there are 287 players in the HOF and all the other members of that team are in the HOF... The only way to reconcile that IMO is it has to do with issues not related to his NFL career.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way to reconcile that IMO is it has to do with issues not related to his NFL career.

3 different decades of voters must have inherited a bias against him.

What about Billy white shoes Johnson? Do you feel the same way about him as well?

OP
OP
D

Dan115

IVO610, There is a group of people who are pushing for Jerry Kramers induction into the Hall of Fame. There is no reason why YOU can not form a group and push for other people to be inducted. Good luck to you.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IVO610, There is a group of people who are pushing for Jerry Kramers induction into the Hall of Fame. There is no reason why YOU can not form a group and push for other people to be inducted. Good luck to you.
And there is no reason why I can't lobby for people to support candidates that have never had their case heard on here, as I have been doing. Hopefully the fans of packers history will be supportive of the deserving packers who haven't had their case heard before, even if you choose to ignore them.

OP
OP
D

Dan115

And there is no reason why I can't lobby for people to support candidates that have never had their case heard on here, as I have been doing. Hopefully the fans of packers history will be supportive of the deserving packers who haven't had their case heard before, even if you choose to ignore them.

Good luck to you and your cause. I hope you succeed with your people.

OP
OP
D

Dan115

NFL Network top 10 NOT in HOF----Their list was:
10. Ken Anderson
9. Steve Tasker
8. Alex Karras
7. Ricky Waters
6. Kenny Stabler
5. Andre Reed -- inducted
4. Jim Marshall
3. Shannon Sharpe-- inducted
2 Cris Carter-- inducted
1. Jerry Kramer

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL Network top 10 NOT in HOF----Their list was:
10. Ken Anderson
9. Steve Tasker
8. Alex Karras
7. Ricky Waters
6. Kenny Stabler
5. Andre Reed -- inducted
4. Jim Marshall
3. Shannon Sharpe-- inducted
2 Cris Carter-- inducted
1. Jerry Kramer
For Chris Carter to be inducted and not Jerry Kramer just turns my stomach.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with any of the candidates listed by Ivo. They're all almost as deserving as Kramer.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe Karras and Stabler are not in the hall.
I remember when Detroit cut Karras loose somebody asked him how much money it would take to get him to play for another team, and he said "I'll play for free if I can go up against Detroit every week"......

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe Karras and Stabler are not in the hall.
I remember when Detroit cut Karras loose somebody asked him how much money it would take to get him to play for another team, and he said "I'll play for free if I can go up against Detroit every week"......
His nephew Tony is my son's Little League coach this year.

Members online

Latest posts