Jerron McMillian Released

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So how do we gain from releasing a Safety, and signing another Running Back ??? I don`t get it ?

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I seen from Richardson I believe he may be just what we were looking for at Safety. There's a reason why GB didn't release him at 6'2" 216lbs after his neck injury. He's one of the best tacklers in the secondary and has the size of a Safety that can support against the run. He tackles low and wraps up (not high like he's scared to stick his head in there).

Best caveat is that he played next to Hayward at Vanderbilt an was signed right after the draft.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreeing with sunshine above. I think Richardson is the kind of guy we are looking for to team with Burnett back at safety. Likes to tackle and has a big body. I think he can do it but he does have to prove this season he can. Other wise we might be looking at taking a safety in the draft early imo.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree McMillian was the worst of the bunch. He's tough and will hit but either didn't have the instincts or complete knowledge of the schemes, or both. Richardson is plenty big enough, fast enough, and physical enough. The questions he'll have to answer IMO are the ones McMillian failed on.

H

HardRightEdge

This is just the first of a few steps in coming to terms with our safety problem. Jennings and Banjo are not the answer either. The only thing Richardson has going for him at this point is we haven't seen him play.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just the first of a few steps in coming to terms with our safety problem. Jennings and Banjo are not the answer either. The only thing Richardson has going for him at this point is we haven't seen him play.
Writing off Banjo already because....?

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe some center guard or tackle would have better move

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This wasnt just a roster move. It was a message. McMillian was supposed to be the Packers' strong safety by now but in two years never progressed and in fact regressed. He was one of the class of 2012 that was supposed to be the beginning of a new defensvie era in Packers football. So far that class earns an F.

Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy can't stay healthy. Casey Hayward has been out virtually all year. Terrell Manning didn't make the cuts this season. Mike Daniels is the only one doing anything and he plays situationally.

McMillian's release is the opening move of an offseason purge of the defensive team and as such I think it's a good sign.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Writing off Banjo already because....?

I see Banjo as more of a special teams guy and backup. He got a chance to play earlier and the season and he didn't really jump out. I like Richardson's size, we need some help on the back end and sombody who can deliver a thump on the ball carrier every now and then. People hated on the ideal of bringing in Laron Landry but he was an explosive tackler and could outrun most corners. Richardson has the body type that reminds me of the late Sean Taylor...hopefully he can have that same impact if they let the guy play. Can't be any worse than sorry MD Jennings that's for sure.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy McMillian was one of Teddy's reaches.
Projected by most of the deep scouting services (scouts, magazines, websites) as an undrafted FA guy, or 7th round prospect, Teddy reached up and grabbed him in the 4th round..... it was a head-scratcher on NFL Network with Mike Mayock and ESPC with Kiper.

I liked hearing about him being physical, because we're always feminine-soft in the back hole there with wirey thin guys like Traymon, Shields, House...... but I guess there was a reason McMillian played at Maine and despite nice-looking measurements, he failed out.

Look for him to catch on and make something of himself on another team, like we've seen from some other Packer DBs in the past like CB Chris Johnson, who went on to have a nice career in Oakland.

This GM should have kept Charles Woodson this year, as many of you said at the time.
And this GM should have invested in a top-notch safety in this draft... you all had seen enough (or little enough) from Jerron and M.D. by then to know they weren't the foundations, and this was a deep safety draft.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy McMillian was one of Teddy's reaches.
Projected by most of the deep scouting services (scouts, magazines, websites) as an undrafted FA guy, or 7th round prospect, Teddy reached up and grabbed him in the 4th round..... it was a head-scratcher on NFL Network with Mike Mayock and ESPC with Kiper.

I liked hearing about him being physical, because we're always feminine-soft in the back hole there with wirey thin guys like Traymon, Shields, House...... but I guess there was a reason McMillian played at Maine and despite nice-looking measurements, he failed out.

Look for him to catch on and make something of himself on another team, like we've seen from some other Packer DBs in the past like CB Chris Johnson, who went on to have a nice career in Oakland.

This GM should have kept Charles Woodson this year, as many of you said at the time.
And this GM should have invested in a top-notch safety in this draft... you all had seen enough (or little enough) from Jerron and M.D. by then to know they weren't the foundations, and this was a deep safety draft.

Exactly! Releasing Woodson was a huge mistake and i hope TT punches himself in the head everytime he sees sombody drop an easy int or not be in place to make a play on the ball when it's in the air. You hardly ever saw any of those thing's with Wood. Have no clue what they saw in Jennings and Mcmillen.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think he did the right thing with Woodson. But in releasing Woody he should have better addressed the safety position. He didn't and the team suffered all season because of poor safety play. I does seem he reached for McMillian.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think he did the right thing with Woodson. But in releasing Woody he should have better addressed the safety position. He didn't and the team suffered all season because of poor safety play. I does seem he reached for McMillian.

Well imo you don't release a guy who was well respected and a pretty dang good football player in Woodson unless you are for certain you have a viable replacement for him. Safety is the weakest unit on the defense and has been all year. There really hasn't been any big plays made by any of the safties this year including Burnett who finally had his 1st big play in a 30 point loss. Safety will be high on the draft board im certain...maybe even as high as #1.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well kinda sorta but not really. As long as Newhouse is still on the roster i will NEVER fully believe that.

If you guys listen to Josh Sitton on wssp 1250 am milwakee on Tuesday at 435, some answer would be answered.

He addressed Newhouse specifically a few weeks ago.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well imo you don't release a guy who was well respected and a pretty dang good football player in Woodson unless you are for certain you have a viable replacement for him. Safety is the weakest unit on the defense and has been all year. There really hasn't been any big plays made by any of the safties this year including Burnett who finally had his 1st big play in a 30 point loss. Safety will be high on the draft board im certain...maybe even as high as #1.
As I said he should have better addressed the situation in releasing Woodson. I think he grossly overestimated the talent level present on the team at safety as the release of MacMillian indicates. As I recall Burnett lead the team in missed tackles in 2012 and he hasn't improved that aspect of his play. The safety position has been crying for a solution since Nick Collins left. Woodson wasn't it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tosses out the loyalty excuse for players
Exactly.
Woodson was a great loyal Packer, gave us 7 great and healthy seasons, set records, was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, led us to prominence back there.
And there's always this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
WATCH THIS AGAIN.
That is what we call LEADERSHIP.
It's seriously missed back there as all can see.

You have to balance leadership/age/loss of speed with youth/inexperience... it's a fine line and not an exact science.
But obviously TT almost always goes with youth over leadership & experience. See throwing out Cullen Jenkins after the Super Bowl season and relying on the youth of Mike Neal and then Jerel Worthy instead.

He tried the young Graham Harrell and BJ Coleman..... didn't work. So then he gave in to his youth experiment and went to the old Seneca Wallace. But being out of football for so long, perhaps he was just too old. Also failed.

Again, a fine line and no exact science.
Teddy subscribes to the old Bill Parcells "Better to release them a year too soon than a year too late" philosophy.
Unfortunately, he released Cullen 1 or 2 years too early, and it came back to bite us in the *** in 2011 when he may have been the needed difference, as he was the year earlier in the Super Bowl run.

Woodson too as we obviously suck back there no, the ONLY TEAM IN THE NFL WITH NO INTERCEPTION THIS YEAR FROM THE SAFETY POSITION.

Members online

Latest posts