Jennings

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings had his worst game of his young career tonite. He dropped passes, did nothing on his punt returns, and stopped on a few routes. Not to mention, he had trouble getting the audible from Brett which led to the INT for TD. Hopefully he can bounce back.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The injured ankle and the long season have taken there toll. He needs time to heal and alot of time in the weight room to help get through next year.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he did make alot of mistakes, but every young player does.

he just mad rookie mistakes but today he just made too many of them.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The injured ankle and the long season have taken there toll. He needs time to heal and alot of time in the weight room to help get through next year.

Agreed. I think he's worn out and hurt. Next year, he'll be better.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injured/Rookie. Dont forget that J-Walk struggled his first couple years as well. Its just that Jennings seems to have regressed. But that just doesnt make sense, so it makes me think it is injury.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My gut tells me Jennings will be okay. It could be the injury as agopack4 mentioned or and the Rookie growing pains that tend to happen. We still need another option at WR however and we need a major one because DD can't do it alone !!!

Reaction score
Interesting note: Jennings had the most catches last year of any player coming out in the draft. No doubt getting hit and constant running has taken a toll on him seeing he had to go to almost all the mini camps, put in extra work, etc.

He must be exhausted.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Interesting note: Jennings had the most catches last year of any player coming out in the draft. No doubt getting hit and constant running has taken a toll on him seeing he had to go to almost all the mini camps, put in extra work, etc.

He must be exhausted.

One thing I noticed earlier this year before the injuries was that Jennings was taking short passes and busting them into big gains. not anymore.

Give him an offseason of rest and recovery (from injury) and he'll be good.

Yes, he had a lousy day, but it's a huge deal to stick a rookie in as your starting #2 receiver to begin with. He had huge shoes to fill taking the place of Javon Walker. I hope us Packer fans could cut him some slack.

I say within 3 years, he'll be catching 1000+ yards a season and he'll break 8 or 9+ TDs a season. He's going to be good.

We'll look back at the 2006 draft five years from now and say "wow, that was a good draft. We got AJ Hawk AND Greg Jennings that year."

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I noticed earlier this year before the injuries was that Jennings was taking short passes and busting them into big gains. not anymore.

Give him an offseason of rest and recovery (from injury) and he'll be good.

Yes, he had a lousy day, but it's a huge deal to stick a rookie in as your starting #2 receiver to begin with. He had huge shoes to fill taking the place of Javon Walker. I hope us Packer fans could cut him some slack.

I say within 3 years, he'll be catching 1000+ yards a season and he'll break 8 or 9+ TDs a season. He's going to be good.

We'll look back at the 2006 draft five years from now and say "wow, that was a good draft. We got AJ Hawk AND Greg Jennings that year."

I agree with you, its just this was such an aggravating game...

Jennings has played well but at times he hasnt...I speak a lot of rookies getting 'thrown in the fire too soon' (like I ALWAYS sah about ahmad caroll), and you have to think this is our 15th game, 19th counting pre-, and in college you have 12-13 at the most...ok maybe rookies fizzle out at this point

It's just frustrating, and maybe Jennings catches some extra heat because with an extra vet presence at the reciever/tight end position, this game is probably out of reach (with even one TD) in the first half, and with that, this is probably at least an 8-7 team right now...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope next year he doesn't go into the "sophomore slump".
How bad would that be!!!!!!!!!

My theory: Jennings is progressing so rapidly that he's already in his sophomore slump. Next year he'll be a seasoned veteran.

Seriously, I do think he'll be okay, but he sure has been brutal ever since that ankle injury. I thought he showed some improvement in the San Fran game, but now he seems to have regressed even more.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has bad games. Even Donald Driver. Even Brett Favre. Even Aaron Kampman. Today though bad might be an understatement. Jennings today was awful. The 1st INT while it's tough to hear. You need to know what the signals are and what the play is. The 2nd INT McCarthy said was a poor decision by Favre but still it was obvious Favre and Jennings were not on the same page and that hurt the team tonight. He should be okay and this is a growing pain but it was a rough outing tonight for Jennings.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can look back at the first 3 or 4 weeks and see Jennings speed. Now since the injury, he has slowed up alot. He has serious potential to be a top WR for GB. Next year he will bounce back after some serious conditioning and workouts, lets just hope he isnt injury prone.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think Jennings will be better next year, with the long season and his injury, it must have taken a toll on him..but looking forward to next season he will be great...

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll explode next year. Of course maybe I'm biased (see avatar LOL) but we've seen what he can do.. he showed it early in the season.. so I tend to think that ankle has been hampering him and he just hasn't returned to 100 percent, but hopefully a good offseason workout will fix that.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hope next year he doesn't go into the "sophomore slump".
How bad would that be!!!!!!!!!

But we don't need to sign a WR in FA next year now, do we..??

:wink:

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings looked like he was completly lost on the field, and bubba franks looks like he is ready for retirementt..

i hope we draft a WRer and a TE in the '07 draft.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I think Jennings will be better next year, with the long season and his injury, it must have taken a toll on him..but looking forward to next season he will be great...

Heather - I think a lot of us share this opinion, and believe Jennings will be back with a vengeance next year. :thumbsup:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings looked like he was completly lost on the field, and bubba franks looks like he is ready for retirementt..

i hope we draft a WRer and a TE in the '07 draft.

It takes time to develop a WR. Here's Driver's first few years:

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 1999 gnb | 5 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 3 31 10.3 1 |
| 2000 gnb | 16 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 21 322 15.3 1 |
| 2001 gnb | 13 | 3 38 12.7 1 | 13 167 12.8 1 |
| 2002 gnb | 16 | 8 70 8.8 0 | 70 1064 15.2 9 |

Note he didn't get good until his fourth year.

Here's Javon Walker's first few years:

| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 2002 gnb | 15 | 1 11 11.0 0 | 23 319 13.9 1 |
| 2003 gnb | 16 | 2 1 0.5 0 | 41 716 17.5 9 |
| 2004 gnb | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 89 1382 15.5 12 |

You see that Jennings is already ahead of Driver and Walker's 1st year.

I guarantee you that barring injury, Jennings will be much better next year than this year. He just needs to recover fully. Yeah, he misran his routes yesterday, but a rookie mistake. He's going to be good.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other factor is that neither DD nor JWalk had the kind of pressure to perform in their first year that Jennings has had. He's a rookie 2nd round draft pick and the fans and media have expected him to come in and immediately fill the shoes of a Pro Bowl calibre player like Walker. Its no surprise that injury, pressure or sheer exhaustion has got to him.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some more comparison with Gregg Jennings statistics with other Packer Rookie Wide receivers. I don't recall if the others have had ankle sprain or other injuries during their rookie seasons.

Antonio Freeman , rookie year 1995 - 8 passes - 108 yds - Ave 13.8 - 1 TD
Robert Brooks, rookie years 1992 - 12 passes - 126 yds- Ave 10.5- 0 TD
Bill Schroeder, rookie year 1997 - 2 passes - 15 yds - Ave 7.8 - 1 TD
Gregg Jennings " " 2006 - 44 passes - 625 yds - Ave 14.5- 3 TD

Most passes caught in a Packer WR rookie season 55 by Sterling Sharpe in 1988--53 by Billy Howton in 1952 -- - 48 by Perry Kemp in 1988 -- 46 by James Lofton in 1978

Have some patience with all the Rookies, 1 year and 2 year players on the Packers '06 roster. (28 of them) Very few NFL players reach stardom in their first few years in the NFL.

Hall of Fame Packer QB Bart Starr did not show his QB Talents until 1960 and his was drafted in 1956. Brett Favre did nothing at Atlanta in his rookie season in 1991. H all of Fame Baltimore QB Johny Unitias was cut from training camp in his Rookie year and played semi pro football his rookie year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and stopped on a few routes.

If you mean, settled into the zone where there were no defenders, then yeah, stopped on routes.

nobody can be on the same page 100% of the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts