JC Tretter still has plenty to prove

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It says that was "through two weeks of practice". It's not completely clear what data is being used, either. But I do find it interesting that in support of Tretter you are citing an article that has him as the 17th ranked player in 1-on-1's, below the likes of Lane Taylor who is a fringe 53 player while Tretter is supposed to be our starter. The entire article is complimenting the DL and talking about how they are doing better this year against the OL than last year. That article does support your 11-3 record (although I question what data is all being used in that as it's not clear and you have to keep in mind that 1-on-1's are extremely offensive-friendly as the article points out), but it doesn't support the point that Tretter is doing well. But as I said, that blog wasn't all of the data.
Spin it how you want but 11-3 is not HORRIBLE like you said. It's cool that you are skeptical of the data when you've yet to provide anything remotely reliable. I'm certainly willing to believe he's been horrible in practice if I'm shown something that backs that up. He hasn't looked bad to me so far at all in the games especially considering this is his first training camp.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew that someone would be thrilled that Tretter had an issue with Raji three weeks ago, because now they get to complain. He's played between pretty and really well so far and he did a great job against the super quick Donald. We haven't seen him against a Brockers or Suh type super strong DT yet, but everything looks fine. It's easy to complain about not paying Wells, but you can't pay everyone and you have go get cheaper somewhere if you're going to pay Rodgers, CM3, Nelson, Shields and hopefully Cobb.

And yeah, Tretter looks a lot better than Wells did in his second year. Then again, Allen Barbre had a great preseason the year he was benched. Why not just wait and see how he plays this year? What's to be gained by complaining bitterly about it? Unless that's an end in itself, of course.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st team O-line looked outstanding. Thats with Tretter blending in without notice. Besides Bahktiari B.S. hands to the face call... I mean, wth was that call all about? Seems to me that it was your every day dog fight in the trenches. I didnt see any head pushed back, or anything that effected his pass rush.... Lame call IMO.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It says that was "through two weeks of practice". It's not completely clear what data is being used, either. But I do find it interesting that in support of Tretter you are citing an article that has him as the 17th ranked player in 1-on-1's, below the likes of Lane Taylor who is a fringe 53 player while Tretter is supposed to be our starter. The entire article is complimenting the DL and talking about how they are doing better this year against the OL than last year. That article does support your 11-3 record (although I question what data is all being used in that as it's not clear and you have to keep in mind that 1-on-1's are extremely offensive-friendly as the article points out), but it doesn't support the point that Tretter is doing well. But as I said, that blog wasn't all of the data.

It is fine to still be skeptical but your point here makes me lose a lot of respect for your argument. What this shows is that tretter, (even after a slow start most likely due to him not playing in a year and a half) he still is on the same basic level as all the other top linemen we have (bakh, bulaga). If his record being worse than lane taylors is one of your arguments then why not argue that Sherrod should be starting over bulaga? And hell why are people worried about barclay being on IR, based on his record he would not make it past the first set of cuts. What these records show me is that tretter is on the same basic level as all our other top lineman, the minute differences in record does not make your point, the records should be taken with a grain of salt .

The argument you just used makes you look very defensive, and does not give your post any credit. If you want to be skeptical be skeptical that's fine you are justified in doing so based on the fact that tretter does not have any regular season, full game action under his belt. That in of itself is a major point of concern, although his performances lately, the only performances he can do during preseason, keep diminishing these worries, not eliminating mind you just diminishing. Just don't try and defend your point by manipulating evidence in your favor like you just did. Someone proved you wrong, just admit it and stop arguing, you're justified in still being worried but this particular point just happens to go against you, it does not prove you wrong.

I understand your point is that tretter gets beat on the initial push, but that hasn't seemed to weaken our offense yet. Again its just preseason but seeing as it is tretters only time so far he can show off his skill set im taking his performances a little more serious than a seasoned veteran. I am waiting for his performance to negativly affect the offense before I criticize him.

You can respond to this all you want just know that unlike you I have made my point and from here on out will not be responding.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s what PFF had to say under the subhead of Tretter’s Time:

Packers’ fans will be pleased with the performance of new starter JC Tretter (+1.2). This is the second week in a row he’s put up a positive grade and there were no apparent communication issues with Rodgers. Overall the 2013 fourth-round pick out of Cornell made a couple of plays in the run game and only had a single lapse in his performance in pass protection. That lapse consisted in a pressure conceded where Tretter failed to recognize a stunt quickly enough and was bull rushed into the pocket (Q1, 0.28). In the run game the positives came on defensive lineman in particular, where he was able to consistently seal tackles on inside runs. In contrast, he looked less comfortable on the move when trying to get to the second level. All things considered this wasn’t a bad start for a sophomore out of a small school but harder tests are to come.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/17/refo-packers-rams-preseason-week-2/
I complimented Tretter (over on the other thread, but of course you couldn't see that here, where I said that Tretter has good recovery and is winning the recovery battle against DL's), so it's not like I'm only ripping on him.
You did see that here: Check post #42 on this thread. I quoted you accurately.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I also NEVER complained about not paying Wells. I didn't want to pay Wells that kind of money because it's way too much for a C and not only did we save that money but we got a nice comp pick for him.

Not trying to bust your balls, but you are making confusing staements

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/how-does-this-roster-compare-to-other-recent-years.53711/page-3

he's certainly no Scott Wells, and he's obviously a question mark. Lets not forget that Scott Wells signed a 4-year $24 million contract because of how well he played.

To us, this seems like you re saying Wells is worth the contract he got..But now your saying it is to much for a center?

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I started this thread. It's safe to say that Tretter's performance in 2 preseason games has been fine, which makes me feel more comfortable with him. But I'd still like a backup with some NFL experience at center sitting on the bench.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I started this thread. It's safe to say that Tretter's performance in 2 preseason games has been fine, which makes me feel more comfortable with him. But I'd still like a backup with some NFL experience at center sitting on the bench.
Barclays injury makes things dicey now in the event of injury along the interior line. He was extremely valuable to the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you know what grade Barclay's ACL injury is? If not, you can't really make this assessment. ACL injuries vary WIDELY. Now I agree that most ACL injuries are more serious, but if Barclay's is of the less serious variety I could see the designation going down on him.

He will have reconstructive knee surgery later this month which means he will be out for the entire season.

D

Deleted member 6794

No sense in rushing him back. Let him rehab and be 100% next year. It looks like Linsley may be a player as well.

Linsley's not an option to be a backup at any of the tackle spots though.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not unreasonable to think that Linsley could go in at OG and Lang could swing out to OT. I think Sherrod does stay on the team, but there are other way to figure out the OL then having Sherrod play OT.

I prefer having a solid backup tackle over move Lang around. I expect Taylor to be the primary backup at both guard spots.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts