Jay Glazer reports that Favre has asked to be traded

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6805790?MSNHPHMA

Here it fricken is:

The man who may have the biggest name in Green Bay sports history has asked to be traded.

Several Packers and league sources have told FOXSports.com that Brett Favre's agent Bus Cook phoned Green Bay's general manager Ted Thompson within two to three days of the draft and asked for a trade. The sources said that Cook railed off how his client was fed up with the organization and wanted out.

The shocking request appeared directly related to the team's inability to trade for WR Randy Moss.

The news was then relayed to head coach Mike McCarthy, who immediately phoned the Super Bowl winning quarterback to squash his anger. However, the quarterback ignored all his calls for a week, perhaps showing the team how upset he was this time.

Finally, in the middle of this past week the two finally connected. Sources close to the situation said Favre asked McCarthy if he was aware that Cook asked for a trade but McCarthy immediately insisted that would not happen. McCarthy told others inside the organization it appeared the team's head coach had cooled Favre's anger and by the end of the conversation admitted he didn't want to go elsewhere. However, at the same time he has told friends on other teams as well how frustrated he is with the organization's inability to land the former Pro Bowl wideout and that he, in fact, wanted out.

Several calls this morning to McCarthy and Thompson by FOXSports.com have not yet been returned.

On Saturday, Favre railed against the team in an interview with his local Biloxi Sun Herald.

"I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," Favre said in the exclusive interview. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me.

"Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?'

"I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win."

At this point the Packers are primed to head into serious damage control to prevent any further uproar regarding their most prized name. However, too much damage may already have been done by his bizarre trade request.

Despite Favre's trade request and rant to the Biloxi Sun, the team has no intention of parting ways with him. In fact, some within the organization claim that McCarthy honestly believes they can win with the long-time vet at the helm and has repeatedly told him as such.

Thus, they are hoping that Favre simply needed to vent for a while before jumping back on board

D

Dan115

Favre asked to be traded

This is just what ted wants. he can get a 7th rounder. ted is turning THe Packers into the cubs.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Favre asked to be traded

all about da packers said:
Wow.

If this is true, this is a dark day in Green Bay Packer history.

Brett didn't deserve this.
If this is true, Teddy will be run out of town.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Favre asked to be traded

:twocents: Guess Brett has to have a say on team management and certainly has a right to spout off but, Brett is well payed to play the game not to manage the organization. Apparently even Brett feels the players now have the right to direct team management. I'm disappointed in his outburst. Either way; the handwriting is now on the wall and have to believe Favre will not be a Packer beyond this year. Wonder who the new wunderkind at QB will be?

Reaction score
It's not about Brett directing team management...

He offered to reduce his own salary so Moss could get a signing bonus. He tried to make himself flexible, and he had heard reports that Moss was headed to GB.

I have yet to hear Brett went to Ted and told him to get Moss. He talked to Driver about it, about how good it would be to land Moss. That is hardly considered directing team management.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow I never thought I'd see the day but I have now lost alot of respect for Favre. He is acting like he is above the team and that it is all about him. I'm so disapointed right now. :(

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Cuban, this is what guys like Terrell Owens do, and now lately Brett Favre. He's destroying his reputation.

Reaction score
I don't blame Favre though, he deserves better than this.

He should at least feel like the team wants him around, and he isn't feeling that. That is where I have a problem.

He even went about asking for a trade (rumoured still) THROUGH HIS AGENT, IN PRIVATE. He is class, but even he should only have to handle so much.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I can agree that Brett Favre is getting very demanding. Just like owens. I dont know about him anymore.

Ted Thompson is undoubtedly pounding this team into the ground.

Reaction score
I agree Cuban, this is what guys like Terrell Owens do, and now lately Brett Favre. He's destroying his reputation.

TO went public with his trade demands.

Brett went about it the right way, told his agent and then the agent discussed it with Ted.

Brett wants out, but is still being a professional, he has yet to sound off on anything other than TT's inability to land Moss because of guaranteed money (that Brett offered to have taken from his salary).

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TO noise also started like this, and the interview with him shouldn't have happened, he should never go public with that kind of issues.

Reaction score
TO noise also started like this, and the interview with him shouldn't have happened, he should never go public with that kind of issues.

If Brett is displeased, he should speak.

He is still our franchise player. You can't go about making your franchise player feel unwanted.

If Moss fell off Ted's radar, he should have told Brett. Talk to Brett, try to show him your side of things, that you may not have gotten Moss but people like James Jones will make this team better.

Yet it was McCarthy trying to contact Brett.... interesting.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should take some major heat for this - especially if the Moss stuff is true.

All that said, Brett has been holding this organization hostage for 3 straight offseasons and this is somewhat hypocritical to now get after the team for not moving quicker on an available player. In the past three offseasons, the Packers have had to enter to the offseason with "uncertainty" at QB because Favre wouldn't commit. This makes it very difficult for GB to go out and get impact offensive players unless they seriously overpay.

At this point, would the Packers have been much worse off making a change at QB going into 2005 when all this uncertainty started? Would a young QB have done much worse than a 38-47 TD-INT ratio and a record of 4-12, 8-8 - with all this added uncertainty for 07?

I have been a big Favre backer all his career but the reality is that guy is no better than a 71-rated QB at this stage in his career. That's somewhere between Charlie Frye and Jon Kitna. Is all this drama worth it for a 38-year old version of JP Losman?

I think it's time we let Favre go and start the next chapter of Packer football. If we don't, I fear we will be in the same "outside looking in" position with no future at QB two years from now as Favre chases records with his 71 rated performance.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow. brett has gotten too big for his britches. dude thinks it's all about him. he should have retired last year before he made an *** of himself. Players that want out lose the confidence of their teammates. That's why guys like Harrington (thank god), Bly, mike williams, and Josh McCown are no longer lions. they didn't want to be . So don't let the door hit you on the *** on the way out.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree,

I also love Favre for being the player he has been for the Packers,

however the team is more important than Favre.

He should be benched or traded for most value after this.

Members online

Latest posts