Javon Walker not coming back

swartzcatz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe that any good can come out of this season if Mike Sherman doesn't pull this teams collective heads out of their $%#% and get them on the field. WAY too many of the players have attitudes to make a winning team. Reminds me of the Vikequeens of a few years ago.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Javon will be back. This is a show and he will back down. I would have no problem changing his contract so it is incentive laden so if he does have another great year he gets more. But he is under contract and has few options. If he sits out he loses more than he wants.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Javon will be suited up by september.

those paychecks have a huge influence on a players hold out philosophy. i don't think he would go the route of MM and fake an injury to force a trade either. the man has zero leverage and he knows it. he's sitting at a bargaining table by himself.

OP
OP
A

ameuret

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree I think he will be playing by the beggining of the season. I think Javon has earned a new contract. but I dont think he should hold out for it. I think he should just play out this contract and come back and sign agian with the pack. I dont think the packers will give into him though. I think he will change his mind and will come play again.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look the only way he gets out of his contract is by playing the minimum number of games for 2 seasons. Those seasons can be this year and next year or they can be later if he holds out the entire year.

Asssume he will show up.

Playing the minimum number of games means lower statistical output.
Holdout players have an increased likelyhood of injury.
Holding out even once flags you in the minds of many GM's
Having Rosenhaus as an agent flags you in the minds of many GM's

Holding out will get him a contract better than his current one but not as good as if he had played.

He missed "voluntary" opportunity sessions with the team. He best strategy would be now that he sent his message is to show up on time in training camp and get to work and sign a deal next year when their is cap money.

If he doesn't report he only hurts himself.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Cheez, he WILL hurt the Packers because of his absence, Packers will have to practice to play without him.

That is an adjustment that the Packers should NOT have to make. NEXT player down from Walker may NOT be ready to pick up the slack... Thus Packers must make yet another adjustment so these adjustments will take time.

He SAYS he doesn't want to hurt the Packers but his actions show that he is a me first kind of guy.

Guys like him are not real well liked wherever he goes. I wish him well but, I wish we could trade him.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel he'll be back by training camp. He definitely will be effecting his almighty paycheck further by hoding out as opposed to playing. On another note, how can you call Ahman a loser? He's saved our *** more than hurt it. He fumbles mostly when he's trying to squeeze that extra yard. That my friend is giving a 110%.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ameuret said:
what chance do you guys think that Javon walker will be traded or sitting if he doesnt come to camp

I said it before but Ted Thompson has to get a committment from Javon Walker's agent to whether Walker will participate in the Packers camp or if he will not.

If Walker is not going to participate he should be traded immediately.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't take it any longer. #84 should not be allowed to dictate anything to the Packers the way MM did. The Packers do not want to take this stance once again because it tends to follow you. Look at how the Eagles deal with this stuff. It's "too bad, you're under contract and if you don't like it, we move on without you!" The Eagles don't trade, release, or re-structure until THEY are ready and it pays dividends. I agree with whoever said that JW deserves a contract extension but he should keep playing and he will eventually get it. If he chooses to sit, make him become unemployed in the NFL for however many years until he finally GETS it. That should have been the way they dealt with McKenzie too. I hope TT does a better job at handling this holdout than Sherman handled MM's.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers could get a 1st or 2nd round draft pick it would be better than phasing Walker out and getting nothing in return.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you forgot to mention this :roll: ...and set the precedent that anyone on the Packers who currently could get a better deal at any time during their contract should holdout because GB takes the stance of just getting rid of players to rid themselves of the "problem". I just don't agree with you, Steel.

It would be nice getting something instead of nothing but I like Javon Walker enough to try to get him into camp with the promise of a re-structuring in the "near" future.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a non-win situation for the Packers or any team with the same problem.

If TT gave in and gave Walker a 5 year deal, he could pull the same stunt in 2 or 3 years.

If TT signs Walker to a 2 year deal, he could walk in 2 years as a FA.

Until this type problem can be solved by all the team owners and GM's involved, TT has to do what is best for the Packers, IMO, it is getting some value for Walker.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers should give Walker a new deal, he just needs to come into camp and get another season like the one he just had under his belt. The Packers made some bad decision that still affect this team and yes, Sherman made those calls. "Too Small" Jamal Reynolds leads the list. To think he was the 10th player taken that year, who could we have had instead that year? Also, "Smokin" Joe Johnson and Cletidus Hunt were travesties too. I don't see this with Walker. He's legit and deserves an extension. I just wish he would play a little more and prove it to everyone first.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack should hold firm on the Walker situation. They are the ones holding all the cards. Walker may have had a breakout season last year, but was far from a top receiver prior to that. What guarantee is there he will have another season like that this year or any year afterwards? Javon may feel he is one of the top five receivers in the league, but he is going to require a little more than one good season for anyone else to believe it as well. Additionally, should Walker sit out the majority of the season, his marketability will decrease to the point that he will be lucky to make half of what he is getting right now. Walker would be well advised to play out this season and negotiate for more money once his contract is up. At that point, the cards will be in his favour, as either GB will pay him what he wants, or he can take his talents elsewhere.

If GB gives in to a renegotiation or trade, it is setting a precedent for anyone else who feels unhappy with their contract to hold out for something better. This will not help GB, or the NFL in the long run.

Walker and Rosenhaus are simply trying to bluff their way into more money. They must realize that if Walker decides to play hardball and hold out for the season, his marketability is going to suffer so bad he will be limited to playing for such turd-collecters as Denver or Oakland.

Don't get me wrong... I like Walker and feel he would be a definate asset to the team, but he needs to start working with the team as opposed to against them. Should he report on time for training camp and has another season like last year, I have no problem with the Pack resigning him for a much higher salary. Until that time comes, the Pack should simply hold firm and see what Walker decides to do.

Regards,

Robert C. Hedley

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, he should honor his contract and shoot for another season like last year. If Walker can show consistancy with another fine effert like last year than yes, the Pack should sit down and work a new deal.

Members online

Latest posts