Jarron Gilbert - DE - San Jose State

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green Bay is unable to land BJ Raji as a potential NT for there 3-4 Defense then I recommend they trade down to accumulate an extra pick or two and select Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State. This guy is a beast! He not only can jump out of a swimming pool, but he also can 360 dunk a basketball, Squat 635lbs, & Dead Lift 655lbs. He is 6'5" 290lbs and runs the 40 in 4.87 seconds.

These numbers are off the charts and overall are as good as any position rating in the draft. What it boils down to is a total athlete who not only has incredible upper body strength that would allow him to control the point of attack, but outstanding leg strength and speed which is essential for becoming an All-Pro type of Athlete.

This would definitely be my wish if Raji isn't there and maybe even if he is there!

What do you think?

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many reports I read indicate that Jaron has a non aggressive make-up and like his father is better suited for the O-line. Iwouldn't want to draft a project before the 4th round
Pack88

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't had any production in college. Don't want him. He can jump out of a pool, but can he play football? In college, where there's much less competition than in the NFL, he didn't do well enough, why is he going to do in the pros?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If he can 360 dunk a basketball, perhaps he's entering the wrong sport?:p

I feel like I could name 20 players i'd rather have. I'm not going to do that, but Orakpo and Ty Jackson come to mind.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
From my DE Scouting segment at the HQ "
I like him,” one scout said. “He’s one of those intriguing guys that have all the physical ability, he just has to match his athleticism and play ability. But he’s athletic, he can run, he can jump out of the back of a pool and all that. He’s a guy with a lot of upside.” Despite the obvious physical gifts, though, some scouts won’t touch him after watching his game videotape, and one even suggested moving him to left tackle on offense. “He’s like (former Vikings standout Keith Millard) used to be, he’s got it all,” one scout said. “But he doesn’t care. He has no passion, barely a pulse.”

No Thank you.

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not a Number 1 Pick, but definitely a #2

Jarron Gilbert
SI Grade
GRADING SYSTEM
Position:
DE
Class:
Senior
School:
San Jose State
Conference:
WAC
Ht., Wt.:
6-5.5, 285
40 Time:
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors the past two years and named ?08 co-Defensive Player of the Year in the WAC. Totals last season included 52/22/9.5 after 39/7.5/4 as a junior.

POSITIVES: Tall, athletic lineman who's made a march up draft boards the past six months. Fires off the snap with good first step quickness, plays with good lean, and keeps his feet moving on contact. Consistently gets penetration behind the line of scrimmage, and is a disruptive force. Breaks down well, plays with good knee bend, and possesses a good burst of speed. Shows ability as a pass rusher. Plays with a nasty attitude.

NEGATIVES: Seems a bit raw in his technique, he must develop more moves with his hands and get off blocks quicker. Lacks bulk on the inside, and out-positioned by blockers. Must improve his playing balance.

ANALYSIS: Gilbert is a developing football player who seems to be hitting his stride. He's an impressive physical specimen with a long wingspan and a defensive lineman who could be used at tackle or as a two-gap end. After a terrific senior season, Gilbert went to the East-West game and dominated the opposition before turning in a tremendous combine workout, further improving his stature in the eyes of NFL scouts. He offers a large amount of upside potential, and he will be a force at the next level if he continues to improve his game.

PROJECTION: First/Second Round

pacman5252

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarron Gilbert
SI Grade
GRADING SYSTEM
Position:
DE
Class:
Senior
School:
San Jose State
Conference:
WAC
Ht., Wt.:
6-5.5, 285
40 Time:
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors the past two years and named ?08 co-Defensive Player of the Year in the WAC. Totals last season included 52/22/9.5 after 39/7.5/4 as a junior.

POSITIVES: Tall, athletic lineman who's made a march up draft boards the past six months. Fires off the snap with good first step quickness, plays with good lean, and keeps his feet moving on contact. Consistently gets penetration behind the line of scrimmage, and is a disruptive force. Breaks down well, plays with good knee bend, and possesses a good burst of speed. Shows ability as a pass rusher. Plays with a nasty attitude.

NEGATIVES: Seems a bit raw in his technique, he must develop more moves with his hands and get off blocks quicker. Lacks bulk on the inside, and out-positioned by blockers. Must improve his playing balance.

ANALYSIS: Gilbert is a developing football player who seems to be hitting his stride. He's an impressive physical specimen with a long wingspan and a defensive lineman who could be used at tackle or as a two-gap end. After a terrific senior season, Gilbert went to the East-West game and dominated the opposition before turning in a tremendous combine workout, further improving his stature in the eyes of NFL scouts. He offers a large amount of upside potential, and he will be a force at the next level if he continues to improve his game.

PROJECTION: First/Second Round

That is also the work of the greatest scouting department in the world........ SI :D .................The guy is a third round prospect that will probably be taken in the second because of upside. A lot of people love him b/c of youtube videos of him jumping out of a kiddy pool and a Draft Guy video with him beating scrub 7th round/UDFAs in Cederick Dockery and some other guy from BYU..........

OP
OP
S

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a lot of the same reports on Haloti Ngata DT from Baltimore when he was coming out of Oregon. You have to draft guys as to what they project to be and they have to have the tools to work with first. Ngata was described as lazy, takes plays off, big guy. Look at him now, he is described in the same breath as Albert Haynesworth as one of the best DT in the NFL.

In other words who knows with there being so many hit or miss guys coming out in the draft. Guys that look great now might not be anything later. Remember Mario Williams a lot of people were saying he wasn't worth his pick, but after a couple of years he really blossumed.

pacman5252

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a lot of the same reports on Haloti Ngata DT from Baltimore when he was coming out of Oregon. You have to draft guys as to what they project to be and they have to have the tools to work with first. Ngata was described as lazy, takes plays off, big guy. Look at him now, he is described in the same breath as Albert Haynesworth as one of the best DT in the NFL.

In other words who knows with there being so many hit or miss guys coming out in the draft. Guys that look great now might not be anything later. Remember Mario Williams a lot of people were saying he wasn't worth his pick, but after a couple of years he really blossumed.

I think you are confusing top 12 prospects with Jarron Gilbert. You shouldn't talk about top 8 picks and a second-third round prospect in the same light. Both Nagta and Williams were still projected top 10 picks the entire offseason, Williams a projected top 2. He really wasn't a reach at #1, just America/the media thought Bush was the second coming of Jesus........ Ngata actually fell compared to where some people had him going. He was a projected top 10 pick most the offseason and there was a little talk about us taking him over Hawk. The real knock on Ngata coming out was more the fact that he was more the fact that he couldn't rush the passer and that is still true to an extent. Pure run stuffers usually don't get taken in the top 10-15.

danemeyer20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the Bears picked him up but I dont see how he fits into their defense. He is a 3-4 DE and they run the 4-3. At the moment he is not big enough to be a tackle in the 4-3 and too big to be a DE in the 4-3. Time will tell i guess but he is definitely going to be a project for them. Interesting to see where he ends up.

Members online

Latest posts