Jarrett Boykin

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy gets very recognition even though he has flat out earned it.

Undrafted, released by Jacksonville, Cobb and Jones goes down and he steps right in and has been productive since. You can't even say it's all due to Rodgers, as he's continued to be equally productive under Flynn.

I liken Boykin to a James Jones lite. I still want Jones back next year, but Boykin certainly gives TT a good backup plan.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could have a very solid career. Let's see how he performs under a full season with Rodgers

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Boykin...not the fastest guy but he gets it done. I would make him do speed training workouts in the off season to help him with his explosiveness and quickness.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like is his ability to gain a few extra yards, knifing past the first defender. It would be nice if he was faster but IMO that's not his game. If he works hard in the offseason he can continue to work himself into the starting lineup. I like Jones a lot, but at the end of the day he's had one really good season of production with many years of showing promise or being injured. As MM says, you need to be accountable and available. Boykin just may still Jones' spot if he's not careful

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I have been wrong about a LOT of things.
I guess I was wrong about Crosby because this year he's been great, and I would have sent his *** packing last year many times. Outta here.
I also didn't want to draft James Jones in 2007 when we could have had Randy Moss for that pick.... and admit, NONE of you had ever seen Jones play in college.
I was wrong about Jordy Nelson too.... didn't think he "looked" the part.

But I was right about Jerry Hughes, and now Jarrett Boykin. I liked him last year, was so proud when he was called upon and made a big catch, but was sad when on that catch, he got bent backwards with his foot sticking in that crap Metrodome turf, ending his season.

I really like Boykin, also liked Jeremy Ross. I thought these were a good #4-5 set of WRs behind Cobb, Jones & Jordy.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people wanted DeSean Jackson for the pick that we got Jordy with. A case can be made both ways, but I'm very happy with Jordy, of course.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The guy gets very recognition even though he has flat out earned it.

Undrafted, released by Jacksonville, Cobb and Jones goes down and he steps right in and has been productive since. You can't even say it's all due to Rodgers, as he's continued to be equally productive under Flynn.

I liken Boykin to a James Jones lite. I still want Jones back next year, but Boykin certainly gives TT a good backup plan.

I agree. I think Boykin's game is very similar to Jones though I think he is more advanced than Jones at similar times in their careers because IMO, football and wide receiver comes far more naturally to Boykin than Jones. I would be very surprised if Jones is with the Packers next year. Boykin is his natural replacement and I don't see any reason to have both of them if you can draft another speed receiver like Nelson or Cobb in the second or third round.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I think Boykin's game is very similar to Jones though I think he is more advanced than Jones at similar times in their careers because IMO, football and wide receiver comes far more naturally to Boykin than Jones. I would be very surprised if Jones is with the Packers next year. Boykin is his natural replacement and I don't see any reason to have both of them if you can draft another speed receiver like Nelson or Cobb in the second or third round.
Losing Jermichael, we will see more 4-wide WR sets, like we did in 2010 and 2011.

Jordy-Cobb-Jones-Boykin will be relied on. Remember, we can easily lose a couple at a time due to injury.
The search for a 5th WR will begin though.... or continue...... not sure who it is yet.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Jones has better physical tools than Boykin, but yeah Boyk is very similar to Jones.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jones has better physical tools than Boykin, but yeah Boyk is very similar to Jones.
What physical tools are you referring to?

I think Boykin understands the nuances of the game and his position much better than Jones. He's a natural football player. Jones has to be drilled and taught everything and 6 years in to his career, he still breaks off his route from time to time and makes mental errors. I think Rodgers gets frustrated with him some times. In a way, he reminds me of Bill Schroeder who was not a natural football player either. Jones has made some fantastic catches the last couple of seasons but I think overall, in a couple years, Boykin will be a better overall player than Jones has become.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Jones has the edge in PHYSICAL tools. Jones has a lean in strength and speed. Arm length is about the same. Boykin is has an inch on Jones in height and hand size, and about 6 lbs of weight. Boykin gets a big lean in everything mental though, plus a few other areas. Body control is spectacular, natural pass catcher, runs good routes and good instincts. as you said, he's going to be the better football player, especially once he gets more strength. If I were him though, I'd be studying film of Jones beating press coverage and jams. That's how Jones makes money, and something Boykin can learn.

Members online

Latest posts