James Jones says he gets no respect

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad James was not around 30 years ago. He and Rodney Dangerfield would have it it off very well together.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I understand Jones being the one on the trade block. The WR corps is loaded and with Driver coming back the Pack wants to make room for a young guy to compete for a 5th spot and give Cobb more snaps. I understand that I really do but I still 100% agree with him. Fans are very quick to jump on him, quicker than any other receiver. He didn't play much last year but when he did he always seemed to make an impact. He is a good route runner who can get open and has above average physical tools.It seems like he should be a welcome member of the team by the fans.

Yet for some reason people do not think about him as a relatively high talent and jump on the chance of him being traded or not re-signed last year. My guess is because he is not a big personality like Driver or Jennings that can connect with the fans. I will admit to not really knowing much about him until that piece FOX did on Thanksgiving. That might not be his personality though, he comes and does his job without too much joking which maybe makes him look arrogant (like he is too good to be in this position or something). There is nothing wrong with it fans just do not like it, they do not see him as "Packer People."

Here is what I do not understand 1) He does not have a large contract 2) He does not complain about his contract or snap count anymore than most players would 3) He seems to be pretty hard working. Yes he makes mistakes and when he does they are big but he is criticized more than any other player when they have big mistakes is losing efforts.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe a lot of teams wish they had this guy. The football gets spread around when you have the talent the Packers have. This guy has strength, and I'm more than a little surprised that the Packers don't use him more on short routes. His downfalls include fumbling and at times, Jermichael hands. He's an asset that the pack needs to keep in the fold and get him active.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I understand his position, and I was a huge advocate for resigning him. He has to understand that he is part of a VERY competitive squad. If he truly believes that he gets no respect then he should be overjoyed at the opportunity to go somewhere he believes he will get the respect he deserves. I want to keep him and I believe he will earn his spot on the team, but I would trade him player for player for Harvin or Forte should he be so discontent. Forte doesn seem to think he gets the respect he deserves either, though he and Harvin would be much less content with the contract we'd give them (no cap and 2014 is a HUGE year for us contract-wise)

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are in a truly unique position, where currently there are no SINGLE super stars, since we are LOADED with talent in recieving. The PLUS side of that is you don't have to rely on one player, there is no Megatron go-to person...which gives #12 a lot more flexibility and why you see things spread out so much more. You have to have a different mentality to be part of this team....this very elite team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
lambeaulambo, Jones re-signed with the Packers for modest money so there weren't a lot of teams wanting him when he was on the market. I thought that was a mistake for at least a few teams: For example IMO he would have stepped into the #1 WR spot for a team like the Bears.

Packer Update has a piece about why the Packers should keep him. I agree mostly because I don't think they'd get decent value for him (worth more to the Packers than the 4th or 5th rounder they'd get) and that's an indication of how much he's wanted around the league. For Jordyruns here's a quote from PackerUpdate:
What has kept and will continue to keep Jones from achieving stardom is his inconsistency. He drops too many passes, runs lazy routes at times and doesn’t always compete hard enough for the ball.
In that regard I agree with bozz_2006: You want respect? Work your *** off and fix those three criticisms.

On the other hand the article reminds us he's scored 20 TDs in 135 receptions in the past three seasons (that includes the playoffs). And it quotes someone who knows something about Jones:
… there’s a reason star quarterback Aaron Rodgers said the following last summer about the importance of re-signing Jones, an unrestricted free agent at the time: ”He should be priority No. 1. And I mean that with all my heart. He really should be priority No. 1. We don’t win the Super Bowl without him. And we need him. I think he’s as talented a player as we’ve got on the team, and I think his best football is in front of him. And I think he’s a valuable asset that we don’t want to get rid of.”
Yes Aaron is biased but still… And regarding his play in the 2010 playoffs, here's his line: 11 receptions for 144 yards (13.1 ave.) with 2 TDs.

http://packerupdate.net/?p=18944

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
And regarding his play in the 2010 playoffs, here's his line: 11 receptions for 144 yards (13.1 ave.) with 2 TDs.

For an average of 2.75 catches, 36 yards, and 0.5 touchdowns per game. I'm not posting this to slam Jones at all, I was just interested. Could this production be picked up by the other receivers plus the likes of someone like Gurley, Borel, or Moss? I would like to thank so, but I have no idea really.

Either way, I would like to keep Jones and hope the Packer's didn't keep Driver at the expense of Jones. I think Jones' production could increase given more opportunity (but then again, wouldn't anyone's?).

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Well he is one that never gets recognition true. But Driver and Jennings up there, he would never be the starter despite shining whenever he does. Unfortunately for him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to keep Jones and hope the Packer's didn't keep Driver at the expense of Jones.
Agreed. If you didn't like Jones' numbers from the 2010 playoffs, look at Drivers: 14 receptions for a 12.1 yard average and 0 TDs.

Reaction score
Im pretty sure he means "Respect around here" as in the NFL... maybe also his own Locker Room but just also in general with the media and other players/teams maybe? Thats my own take on it :)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im pretty sure he means "Respect around here" as in the NFL... maybe also his own Locker Room but just also in general with the media and other players/teams maybe? Thats my own take on it :)

Good point, but he needs to be careful he doesn't put a target on his back in the process.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Respect the team by catching balls and keeping your mouth shut. Jones is still young, and if he made probably half of those catches he would of dropped he wouldn't have this problem.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Respect is earned. Want it? Earn it.
The guy was our leading TD-getter in the playoff run to the Super Bowl, and in the Super Bowl was 2nd in catches in that game.
He also has stayed pretty healthy, and he's a good guy, not a thug, or a loud mouth like J-Mike.

I love Jones.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...And I am amazed that other teams don't offer as much as a 2nd round pick for him.
He'd be St Louis, Cleveland, Jacksonvilles best WR immediately, and he'd be a great #2 to Andre Johnson.

Peyton Manning would love him in Denver.
He'd be a great #2 in Indy and soon surpass Reggie Wayne and become Andrew Luck's top target.

Jones, when we drafted him, I was pissed and said who the hell is this guy...... and I know he had some big drops especially in that 2010 season. But he also made a lot of big plays.... TD at Philly. TD at Atlanta.... that tells you he gets open a lot to make big plays.... as long as he doesn't fumble against the Bears again, I love the guy!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ can turn out to be realy good...just not as a Packer. Not enough balls to go around, and with DD coming back that kinda put a damper on thing's because i'm sure JJ was expecting to be the #3.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I am sure he's pouring over this thread religiously, I can say that I like him. He's dropped a few easy passes, at least NFL easy, but he made some nice plays too, in the divisional game and Super Bowl in 2010. He made a very important catch in the Super Bowl to get the Packers offense back into gear after the third quarter disappearance. He made 2-3 nice plays in the divisional game.

It's amazing how much slack Favre got even in a three pick game, because he made a few plays, but a receiver drops a few, even while making some other very nice plays, and he's lunch meat. Are Jennings and Nelson better right now? Sure. But he is a very nice third guy to have - has a nice vertical game. If Cobb moves past him, then he's a nice fourth guy.

In short, he gets too much heat for his drops while Driver and Nelson get more of a pass. Jennings has been known to drop a few.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ can turn out to be realy good...just not as a Packer. Not enough balls to go around, and with DD coming back that kinda put a damper on thing's because i'm sure JJ was expecting to be the #3.
JJ was ahead of DD last year already.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like James Jones, and want to keep him around...but I also wanted to keep Driver around. I know in the recent past I said that I would let Jones go in order to keep Driver but I am rethinking that statement. Obviously I would want them both on the team, but in an absolute pinch where we HAD to get rid of one of them...I might just take Jones instead. He has had his drops (Super Bowl XLV...that play STILL makes me cringe when I see it.) but he has also proved that he is big-play capable and ready to win.

Perfect scenario:

The Packers keep both players for the entirety of the 2012 season. We go 16-0 and get to the Super Bowl, where we have NO injuries in this game. Donald Driver catches a TD pass. James Jones sees deja vu of his XLV dropped pass, but this time catches it and races 65 yards down the field for a TD. Donald Driver retires into the sunset with his second championship and a TD catch in the big game. James Jones moves to #3 WR behind Jennings and Jordy.

Members online

Latest posts