James jones instead of Jennings?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thread no one ever thought they would see...

Should we give jones a long term contract instead of Jennings? Money, age, injuries, and recent production favor Jones...

H

HardRightEdge

Jones is signed through 2013. I don't think he's worthy of a renegotiation any time soon. He's about where he should be contract-wise as the #3 target.

The answer is probably "neither".

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking (painful I know)

But let's say all guesses that Jennings is just simply too expensive for us to keep, I see it like this:

Nelson obviously is our #1 (right now he basically is anyways), with Cobb rising (but due money in few years) and Jones being up after 2013 could it play out that if Jones does keep playing solid that he gets pulled away from us by another team?

Leaving us with Nelson and Cobb (we won't let him go anywhere).....and who? No one.

Does Boykin show up like coaches think now? Moss turn into something? Do we catch another 2nd-4th rounder like Cobb or Nelson in the draft?

I really foresee the need to make sure Jones is around for a few more years...with Jennings walking, Finley on the verge of making or breaking him sticking around, Quarless still hasn't played enough to say whether he can replace Fin, Driver on last leg..........Jones is a valuable commodity IMO and one which I'd almost want to shore up if for only a year or two further than 2013. Give ya a couple years to develop or draft the next rising WR in GB.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ good post.

Finley = GONER! We have solid replacements at TE

We will be fine, in my opinion, with NELSON, JONES, COBB.
Save the *** of cash that jennings would cost us and try to draft another good prospect WR.
I don't agree that driver is on his "last leg", the guy gets almost no play time and he is still in good shape, as long as he is still under contract we should have him for depth...not keep him forever, just until contract is up and we can say goodbye to him as a packer.
I do think that Boykin can develope into a solid depth guy as well.

If there is one thing that TT WILL NOT let happen it is : we wont run short on talent at WR's. He will keep us stocked with pass catchers for Arod.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not agree more with the last two posts. I personally believe we should try and sign Jones to another 2 or 3 year contract at about the same price after his runs out in 2013, this is assume we do not sign Jennings. At that point Jones will be 32 or so the perfect time to let most receivers go before there is a drastic drop off in productivity. If we do not resign him Cobb Nelson and Boykin would not be enough. Boykin is IMO could turn into a solid 4 receiver on a Packers team that prides itself with receiver talent.

Looking towards the 2013 draft I feel that it should be a priority of TT to get both a WR and a TE by the 3rd or 4th round. Another top TE would allow us to replace Finley after one more year, and another WR would allow us to keep the receiving corp deep and talented through 4 or 5 depending on how Boykin develops for another 3 or 4 years down the road.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is developing into a Percy Harvin like player, with more upside IMO.

Jones has been very solid this year and taking full advantage of his reps. Aside from the pick and and incompletion or two this year due to bad routes, he has been running crisp, sharp routes. I think they will be just fine. I am a huge proponent of shipping Jennings for a draft pick, 2-4 rd. value. If they don't re-sign him then may as well part ways now with the offense beginning to gel like it has. Finley will be gone, and good riddance.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
No. Jones is good but I don't think anyone on our roster can top Jennings' big play ability and reliability.

Finley is done after this season, we can use that money to re-sign Jennings

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
No. Jones is good but I don't think anyone on our roster can top Jennings' big play ability and reliability.

Finley is done after this season, we can use that money to re-sign Jennings

I don't know if Finley cash would even start to come close to what Jennings agent will fight for, he will require top WR $$ to stay around. With his nagging injuries, his reliability is in check. Big play factor still holds true thou.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll sum it up in one word...NO. When GJ comes back Jones will be lucky to see three balls thrown his way a game. Remember last year when he wasn't being targeted a lot? i don't see that changing once GJ is back and with the emergence of Cobb...where do you put JJ? in the slot? nope because that's going to be where Cobb sees the majority of his snaps.

We will have a good problem on our hands, but if i'm the GM i'm trading Finley or Jones while the market for them will be pretty fair.

You look at the option of trading James Jones and Finley to St. louis for Steven Jackson...he's 29 and is being used less and less in St. louis.... i'm sure he's tiered of losing and want's to compete for a ring. Restructure his contract.

Or you Send Jones and Finley to Oakland for Darren Mcfadden.

Finley is going to be gone next year anyways...mise well get some value .

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ That sounds good, but like you even said, Jackson is old for RB years and has had reliability issues in the recent past. I wouldn't give .25 cents for McFadden......that dude gets into slumps like a damn baseball player....hot cold hot cold.....plus he has had injury problems and he is a young buck....no thanks.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^

If there is one thing that TT WILL NOT let happen it is : we wont run short on talent at WR's. He will keep us stocked with pass catchers for Arod.
Someone, TT, MM, Campen--anyone--has to come up with offensive linemen that can control the line of scrimmage game after game or there won't be a Rogers healthy enough to throw to anyone.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jennings is healthy, he's still The Man. I hope he stays healthy, but he'll be gone if he can't stay on the field. Remember, he's in his 7th season, which is a long time for someone to take the hits he takes.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ good post.

Finley = GONER! We have solid replacements at TE

We will be fine, in my opinion, with NELSON, JONES, COBB.
Save the *** of cash that jennings would cost us and try to draft another good prospect WR.
I don't agree that driver is on his "last leg", the guy gets almost no play time and he is still in good shape, as long as he is still under contract we should have him for depth...not keep him forever, just until contract is up and we can say goodbye to him as a packer.
I do think that Boykin can develope into a solid depth guy as well.

Driver is a free agent after this season. I can't see a scenario where they bring him back either.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll sum it up in one word...NO. When GJ comes back Jones will be lucky to see three balls thrown his way a game. Remember last year when he wasn't being targeted a lot? i don't see that changing once GJ is back and with the emergence of Cobb...where do you put JJ? in the slot? nope because that's going to be where Cobb sees the majority of his snaps.

We will have a good problem on our hands, but if i'm the GM i'm trading Finley or Jones while the market for them will be pretty fair.

You look at the option of trading James Jones and Finley to St. louis for Steven Jackson...he's 29 and is being used less and less in St. louis.... i'm sure he's tiered of losing and want's to compete for a ring. Restructure his contract.

Or you Send Jones and Finley to Oakland for Darren Mcfadden.

Finley is going to be gone next year anyways...mise well get some value .

Trades of players rarely happen.

Jackson won't be with the rams after this season it looks like. Jennings will be a FA soon anyways, so the incentive is pretty limited to trade for either.

Unfortunately trades of big name players rarely happen. The NFL has one of the most boring trade deadlines in sports.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to think Ted Thompson goes on this Packer Forum and finally saw this post and chuckled to himself.

I never saw the problem with Jones in the first place. He's got all the physical attributes you look for in a wide reciever. Works hard. (Especially hard this offseason) Never was a diva guy. (A lot of guys in his position would have been) Bought a house in Green Bay and genuinely loves the Packers and all its fans.

Sure he dropped a few too many passes. But like I said at the time, Inconsistent playing time= Inconsistent production. Now that he's gotten steady playing time with Jennings out and Driver being held back, Jones has exploded.

There were 2 guys I stood up for at the start of the year. Jones and Finley. Glad at least one of em' made me look good now.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
85 is gone. Face it. He already stated that he is not going to talk about resigning during the season. I can see him going to the redskins next season and being rg3's main target w. garçon no. Two. I like jordy as 1 and jj as two, with Cobb playing h back or slot wr. Tt will bring in a few rooks to compete for the no. 4 wr spot. Bye bye 85. See you next commercial break.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't know if Finley cash would even start to come close to what Jennings agent will fight for, he will require top WR $$ to stay around. With his nagging injuries, his reliability is in check. Big play factor still holds true thou.

This injury isn't a recurring thing though. It's not like he's always injured, he just rushed the recovery process and got back on the field too soon and made it worse

I can't see them letting Jennings walk out of GB, if they do I think it'll be a mistake. Even though we've done great these last few weeks w/o him, as I said his talent and big play ability is valuable.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This injury isn't a recurring thing though. It's not like he's always injured, he just rushed the recovery process and got back on the field too soon and made it worse

I can't see them letting Jennings walk out of GB, if they do I think it'll be a mistake. Even though we've done great these last few weeks w/o him, as I said his talent and big play ability is valuable.

It's going to be tough to pay Rodgers Matthews Nelson and Jennings big contracts. Something has to budge, most likely it will be Jennings if his demands are that of a top 5 WR

Members online

Latest posts