Jamarcus Russell

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t5

It sounds like Russell has gotten himself back into shape and multiple teams are interested in signing him as a backup. Obviously the kid had maturity issues while in Oakland and didn't take the game seriously. Do any of you see a reason to sign him to a minimum contract, put him through MM and Clements' quarterback school, and see what he can learn from Rodgers?

I haven't seen any posts that boast GB having a solid backup quarterback at present time

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an interesting scenario. Frankly, I won't be surprised if Coleman unseats Harrell for the # 2 spot in camp this year. His attributes and intangibles exceed Harrell's. As for Russell, giving him a look-see, minimum deal with no risk to us - I'd have no problem with that. Then again- the fact that he got busted with codeine and we're bringing Jolly back - I really don't think they want those two hanging out together.

Lombardi'sGhost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack has had far too many players have legal problems - we don't need any more. Let's see what we have with Coleman and Harrell first, and hopefully keep Rogers healthy with an improved O-line.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think they want those two hanging out together.
Putting two addicts next to one another could be problematic. Putting to recovering addicts next to one another could be the tide that raises both ships.

As for the Harrell/Coleman debate, I think thta they are even in that neither has proven much in the NFL yet but neither has had many chances. It feels like guessing which of the three-legged dogs is going to finish last in the greyhound race

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
He might be talking about Justin Harrell.

Russell has experience, Harrell not so much. I've never been a big fan of having untested rookies play the backup role.

However just to show my own ignorance on the topic I didn't know Russell had been arrested either, that could change things a little.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classic Risk/Reward. Russell is one of the most physically gifted QB in the history of mankind. Can he get his head on straight? Can he get motivated enough to work hard? If he can, you have a HOF caliber player. Far more likely, you have a wasted roster spot. The trouble with putting a guy like that on your team, he can drag other players down along with him. You just have to dog it a little bit in between practice plays relax just a touch and the intensity of others can follow suit.

For me, no. I don't take the chance.

UPDATE: Just googled it and he ran out of the $40M and now is in debt (UNBEFRICKINGLIEVABLE!!!!!!) either $200k or $5M depending on which website. His motivation is likely not to be a great football player but to get some cash. How the He11 do you go through $40M in less than 6 years!!!!!!! Especially when he had to realize 2 years in he would likely never get another contract or even finish his current one. I mean, holy crap! He's spending over $500k per month?!?!??!!?! How do you do that? The finest restaurants and five star hotel every night for you and 10 of your buddies you can't spend that. Okay, you can, but you reaaaalllly have to try.

We need to stay far away from this frickin idiot.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of "project" players and that would include Russell. I don't believe in freaking with the chemistry of the team.

Having said that, I'll make an exception for Jolly as he was already on the team.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Russell has been tested... and he failed miserably.

He looked decent with Oakland before the injury that initiated the Carson Palmer trade....

(pause as reality finally penetrates Chi-Town's suddenly cro-magnon forehead...)

I'm confusing JaMarcus Russell with Jason Campbell aren't I...

(s**t, he thinks, knowing he'll never live this one down...)

Okay disregard everything I've said in this thread in regard to Russell...

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I know that we get bored during the offseason here, but to drum up the jamarcus russell debate....c'mon...that shouldn't even be an option for the packers. His past speaks for itself.....a **** tiger cant change its stripes.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Aren't nearly all backup QBs project players?

Good point, I'll clarify by defining my use of "project" in this thread. By that I mean those with talent but also a criminal/questionable past. Examples would include Russell, Jolly, Titus Young (if he was ever cleared to play again), that pro RB who quit for a couple years b/c all he wanted to do was smoke pot but who's name escapes me), and even Randy Moss when he was traded from the Vikings b/c of his attitude, (though no criminal background, unless you count the time he mooned us).

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would gain his 50 pounds back in a week when he found out about Kroll's butter burgers and Wisconsin cheese curds.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the video on that bleacher report link we definitely know who to call if we need a giant tire beaten up with a hammer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Just googled it and he ran out of the $40M and now is in debt (UNBEFRICKINGLIEVABLE!!!!!!) either $200k or $5M depending on which website. His motivation is likely not to be a great football player but to get some cash. How the He11 do you go through $40M in less than 6 years!!!!!!! Especially when he had to realize 2 years in he would likely never get another contract or even finish his current one. I mean, holy crap! He's spending over $500k per month?!?!??!!?! How do you do that? The finest restaurants and five star hotel every night for you and 10 of your buddies you can't spend that. Okay, you can, but you reaaaalllly have to try.
We need to stay far away from this frickin idiot.

Amish mafia helped him

Members online

Latest posts