Jairus Bryd

Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, what is interest to you? How do you know they havent talked to agents to get a gauge?

Few years back, everyone one wanted Lavar Arrington, we had people so pissed off at Ted for not even calling his agent...All the while, Lavar was IN Green Bay doing a tour of the stadium

That just is one instance where they do not let info get leaked...
Assuming Ted is doing his due diligence in free agency apparently nobody wants to come to Green Bay as a free agent.

As I recall Woodson didn't either but nobody else was interested in him.
Perhaps Green Bay is still considered the siberia of the NFL.
Or perhaps Ted couldn't recruit a mosquito to a blood bank.
Something ain't right here.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming Ted is doing his due diligence in free agency apparently nobody wants to come to Green Bay as a free agent.

Packers dont sign free agents unless it is low risk

I dont think it is players dont want to come here, they just know they wont make the most money coming here

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers dont sign free agents unless it is low risk

I dont think it is players dont want to come here, they just know they wont make the most money coming here
So, take a risk, spend some money to at least try to fill one hole in the defense.
Draft and develop on the defensive side is not getting it done.
And I truely believe most players don't want to come to Green Bay.
Money or not.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man 6 years 54 million 28 million guaranteed seems like a bargain for such a proven play maker when you consider shields got 4 years 39.5 million 15 million guaranteed. Just shy of 10 million per for shields and 9 million per for Byrd i don't understand why you would choose Shields for a million more per year especially when Verner could have been had for 4 years 26 million 14 million guaranteed. And he is generally considered to be a better corner than Shields. idK hopefully TT hits on somebody in the draft.

Look at the WRs that Verner played and then look at the guys Shields played. Nice analysis at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-tennessee-titans-free-agent-alterraun-verner

Verner played agaisnt WRs that will be lucky to spend three years in the NFL. The best WR he faced (Decker) had a very good against him. Go look at the guys that Shields played against and he did VERY well against Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall and AJ Green.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know--and have some now stating that its one and done in the playoffs

I've tried to be one of the last ones to follow that belief, but after 3 years of the same thing, it's hard to not get a little irritated about it. It's just a wash, rinse, repeat kind of deal lately. The defensive side of the ball clearly has gaping holes. Be it Capers/TT/MM/Personnel, or a combination of all of the above, it doesn't matter. The fact is on that side of the ball we have ONE playmaker. That doesn't get the job done. Period. I'm not endorsing a spending spree, but the outright aversion to all things free agency is rediculous. We have not hit on high round draft pics lately. We are not getting the production out of them. Adding a quality player through FA wouldn't kill him, and after seeing the deals that a majority of these guys signed (except Talib), I don't think they were grossly overpaid.

Point is, I've tried to remain mostly positive. But you cannot tell me that this year doesn't feel the same way as the past 3. And we know how they ended in the postseason. The repetition kicks in and you realize there's a very good chance it'll play out the same way... Again.

As always... I hope I'm wrong. But at this point, frustration from the Packers fan base does have warrant.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This may be a factor also. You have to admit that Green Bay isn't exactly tops on the list for where most guys wanna play...there would have to be some salesmanship involved to get guys to come here. Probably not Ted's strong suit...I see him as a "Here's what I'm offering you, take it or leave it" kinda guy.

But the main reason is that he isn't particularly interested in other teams players.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, what is interest to you? How do you know they havent talked to agents to get a gauge?

Few years back, everyone one wanted Lavar Arrington, we had people so pissed off at Ted for not even calling his agent...All the while, Lavar was IN Green Bay doing a tour of the stadium

That just is one instance where they do not let info get leaked...

Just was my initial reaction to what Oshkosh said in post #123.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
LOL.... thanks. But why does it seem that we play CIA and get all secretive? If we were interested in someone, it more than likely will be out to some form of press coverage or another. Not just from us, but from the player in question or maybe their agent. What shopping did we do? None.....

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be a factor also. You have to admit that Green Bay isn't exactly tops on the list for where most guys wanna play...there would have to be some salesmanship involved to get guys to come here. Probably not Ted's strong suit...I see him as a "Here's what I'm offering you, take it or leave it" kinda guy.

But the main reason is that he isn't particularly interested in other teams players.

Uprooting your family to go to GB is not appealing. Nor is it to younger players who still enjoy an active social life. The perpetuating argument for most is that we are contenders, but there are at least 6-7 contenders every year whose backyard is a hell of a lot nicer than ours.

Bottom line is free agents don't want to come to GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Uprooting your family to go to GB is not appealing. Nor is it to younger players who still enjoy an active social life. The perpetuating argument for most is that we are contenders, but there are at least 6-7 contenders every year whose backyard is a hell of a lot nicer than ours.

I don't think there's any truth to that at all. During the season, the only time players are in town, they don't have that much time to enjoy social life and if they really want Chicago is only a three hour drive or a one hour flight away.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So Red Bryant, who had a visit scheduled here before signing with Jax, would rather play in Jax in front of a half full stadium instead of 70,000 FAITHFUL Die Hard Packers fans? come on man... it's about the $$$.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Red Bryant, who had a visit scheduled here before signing with Jax, would rather play in Jax in front of a half full stadium instead of 70,000 FAITHFUL Die Hard Packers fans? come on man... it's about the $$$.

Of course it's about the money first and foremost. But what does Jacksonville (the city) have that GB doesn't?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it's about the money first and foremost. But what does Jacksonville (the city) have that GB doesn't?

Beats me but they have an awful football team and fans who don't show up and support them. The only thing that makes that sound appealing? Mo' Money

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any truth to that at all. During the season, the only time players are in town, they don't have that much time to enjoy social life and if they really want Chicago is only a three hour drive or a one hour flight away.

I'm not a professional football player, so I couldn't tell you what they do during their freetime. I'll agree with you on Chicago being a 1 hr flight, but we could go back and forth on whether or not that's an inconvenience.

$ definitely first, but then it's a mixed bag on other factors when deciding where to sign.

I just don't think GB is very appealing.

Disclaimer: I'm a diehard Pack fan, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beats me but they have an awful football team and fans who don't show up and support them. The only thing that makes that sound appealing? Mo' Money

Nice weather and girls in bikinis year round was what I was getting at, but of course, the difference in our offer versus Jacksonville was probably substantiable.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice weather and girls in bikinis year round was what I was getting at, but of course, the difference in our offer versus Jacksonville was probably substantiable.

Nothing beats the women at Stadium View or Anduzzis so there goes this theory

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In an interview on ESPN this morning that I just made up in my head, Jairus Bird said, "I was very interested in going to Green Bay. The money was less, but I really like the team and what Mr. Thompson had to say. Just as I was about to sign the 5 year $14M offer, I decided to do my research on packerforum.com and found out Mr. Thompson was actually a stupid, cheap, lazy, bastard who didn't understand football and would never make an effort to improve the team. Needless to say, I reluctantly decided to go to New Orleans."

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now that the "Frenzy" has passed.... The defense still missing a Safety... And it is still in need of Linebacker and defensive Line help. Who is out there that they can bring in and help them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In an interview on ESPN this morning that I just made up in my head, Jairus Bird said, "I was very interested in going to Green Bay. The money was less, but I really like the team and what Mr. Thompson had to say. Just as I was about to sign the 5 year $14M offer, I decided to do my research on packerforum.com and found out Mr. Thompson was actually a stupid, cheap, lazy, bastard who didn't understand football and would never make an effort to improve the team. Needless to say, I reluctantly decided to go to New Orleans."
Very nice.
It's good to see you have an active imagination.
Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts