Jackson, Jones, and Rouse

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the bios, I noticed that Harrell is a sports management major and all three of the other 1st day picks (Jackson, Jones, and Rouse) were Sociology majors.

What is Sociology? Is is the new "jock" class?

One site I saw said this:

Sociology is the study of social life and focuses on the interaction between human groups and institutions and their influences on each other. Sociology ranges from the study of relationships in family units in the most primitive cultures to the research of large bureaucratic institutions in major industrialized nations. Among the specialties within sociology are criminology, demography, cultural traditions, family relations, gerontology, social welfare, race relations, social status, and social change.
Sociology majors find jobs in social service agencies, non-profit organizations, government agencies, educational institutions, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, and correctional institutions. They also find jobs in business and industry in market research, public relations, customer service, management, advertising, human resources, and sales.

Even after reading that (at 4:56AM), I am still not sure what it is. Maybe it is because I went to school for Engineering and Computer programmiing and do not have to be highly "social".

Reaction score
Sociology involves the study of society; in general the study of politics, economy, and crime within society, and how those 3 things often interact.

I wouldn't say it is a jock class, there are quite a lot of extensive assignments, readings, and essays that I had to do for my first year sociology class.

And secondly, I don't think you should assume that the "jocks" we drafted are totally dumb. I mean honestly, yeah they may get some leeway in terms of academics at their respective universities, but generally they have to display some intellectual ability, and their Wondrelic scores aren't terrible (ok excluding James Jones).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts