J.J. Watt (DE, Wisconsin)

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QT2-mRCgX0"]YouTube - JJ Watt Highlights[/ame]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Defensive end J.J. Watt announced Thursday he will forgo his final season of college eligibility and enter the NFL draft. Watt was named the 2010 Lott IMPACT Trophy winner, earned second-team All-America honors and was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection after leading the Badgers and ranking third in the country with 21.0 tackles for loss this season. Watt announced his decision in an open letter to UW fans. Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema on Watt’s decision: “I talked with multiple people connected with NFL teams on J.J.’s behalf to make sure he had the best information to make an informed decision and one that he was comfortable with. He is a terrific example of what we want our student-athletes to be, both on and off the field, and he will be missed. I wish him nothing but the best and I know he will be successful in his future endeavors.” - Wisconsin football

Watt is our #3 overall junior DE and bolsters an already top-heavy DE class. At 6-6, 292 and great speed for his size (4.87e), Watt can play DE in the 3-4 as well as DT in the 4-3. Some may also like him to play DE in the 4-3 as well. He should be available late in the first round, but could be one of six (so far) DEs that may have first round grades.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish he was staying with the Badgers. Don't think the Pack would ever have a chance to get him even if they needed him, which I don't think we do.

OP
OP
D

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish he was staying with the Badgers. Don't think the Pack would ever have a chance to get him even if they needed him, which I don't think we do.

Well first of all he will most likely receive a final grade as a late first round pick, meaning that GB could actually have a shot at him.

Second, I think we DO need DLmen. I believe that you can never have too many fresh legs rushing the passer and eating up blockers. Jolly's future is still in the air, Harrell is made of paper, Green may not be resigned, and Neal is coming off of an injury. Perhaps getting another guy on the DL with a high motor wouldn't be a bad idea.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt needs to put on a few more pounds if he wants to be successful in a 3-4, but he'd definitely be able to play any position on the line in a 4-3. Great motor, hard worker, likeable guy. Anybody who picks him up in the draft will be lucky. Just not in the first round. He's a second round pick, first would be a reach.

OP
OP
D

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt needs to put on a few more pounds if he wants to be successful in a 3-4, but he'd definitely be able to play any position on the line in a 4-3. Great motor, hard worker, likeable guy. Anybody who picks him up in the draft will be lucky. Just not in the first round. He's a second round pick, first would be a reach.

He wouldn't have to add much. The average weight in the NFL this seasons for a 3-4 DE is 301. He already measures in at 292, which is not bad for a rookie, who will most likely add 10 pounds anyway when he bulks up. There are only 2 DEs in the senior class that are first round talents at this point: Clayborn (who is falling, actually and could drop out of round 1) and Kerrigan. Heyward and Jordan are possibly late first round DEs but with Bowers and Watt in the pot now, they will most likely be 2nd rounders. If the draft was held today, I would say that Watt could be the 2nd DE gone off of the board. Kerrigan and Bowers would be 4-3 DEs because of their lack of size or OLBs in the 3-4 anyway. This means that Watt could be a legitimate prospect for any of the 3-4 teams, which is roughly half of the league at this point. Now of course all of this will change, but based on the info I have today, he would be a first rounder and solid pickup for any 3-4 team...including the Pack.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I want Watt. Draft him, kidnap him. blackmail him In the draft projections I looked at he was a fit for OLB in a3-4 base defense. I don't now if that is strong side or weak side, but perhaps it would ease our concern about Barnett

OP
OP
D

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Watt. Draft him, kidnap him. blackmail him In the draft projections I looked at he was a fit for OLB in a3-4 base defense. I don't now if that is strong side or weak side, but perhaps it would ease our concern about Barnett

He is a fit for OLB in the 3-4!? That's insane! He is too big and slow to play OLB in the 3-4 or any defense! Now, he is fine to play DE in either defense, but OLB!? I doubt it. May want to check on your sources there...

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be disappointed if we draft a DL in Round 1, I think that there are much more pressing areas. That said, if BPA is DL, go for it.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We being GB fans look past having TWO Defensive cal. MVP's (52 & 21)
Our D is ranked #5
And Our starting MLB, SS, DT are out for the year.
Imagine if TT keeps getting Capers quality def. players for this 3-4 scheme.

I'm all for drafting a DL in rnd 1
Oline and CB's are deep this yr. (at least from the mocks I've seen)

keep in mind Jenkins was out for 6 games as well AND we had Oline players playing DL in games this yr too!!!

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many teams are transitioning to 3-4/3-4 hybrid schemes, teams are salivating over players who can provide legitimate versatility in different fronts. Both Cam Jordan and J.J. Watt fit that description. Both of these players don't have personality concerns, both are very likely going to be gone well before we pick.

I've seen Cam Jordan slotted as early as St. Louis at #14, and J.J. Watt as early as Dallas at #9, both are likely gone from picks 14-28. I wouldn't give my hopes up. Both are legitimate 1st round talents, I just don't see them falling that far, or us trading up...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many teams are transitioning to 3-4/3-4 hybrid schemes, teams are salivating over players who can provide legitimate versatility in different fronts. Both Cam Jordan and J.J. Watt fit that description. Both of these players don't have personality concerns, both are very likely going to be gone well before we pick.

I've seen Cam Jordan slotted as early as St. Louis at #14, and J.J. Watt as early as Dallas at #9, both are likely gone from picks 14-28. I wouldn't give my hopes up. Both are legitimate 1st round talents, I just don't see them falling that far, or us trading up...
I had seen Bulaga mocked as early as 5, and no later than 18 to the Steelers and he slid to us.
That being said, what you wrote about versatility, plus the lack of concerns about him (short arms for Bulaga) will more likely prevent a fall.

But thing is, outside of the trully elite players like Peterson, Green and Miller, we don't know for sure where the others are going to land and neither do the experts, so we can't rule out anything.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had seen Bulaga mocked as early as 5, and no later than 18 to the Steelers and he slid to us.
That being said, what you wrote about versatility, plus the lack of concerns about him (short arms for Bulaga) will more likely prevent a fall.

But thing is, outside of the trully elite players like Peterson, Green and Miller, we don't know for sure where the others are going to land and neither do the experts, so we can't rule out anything.

I get what you're saying, the draft ends up making everyone look pretty foolish, doesn't it? I would love Watt to fall to us, and for Ted to make him the pick, it's just that DL versatility is at a premium, unfortunately.

Based on what I see/read, it seems as though Cam Jordan is ranked as the better (more experienced 'safe') pick, so if Jordan starts to slip, we could possibly see Watt do the same. So if Jordan slips start crossing fingers if you love Watt. :icon_mrgreen:

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
he would be the perfect fit in our scheme, replacing jenkins, and sometimes playing some opposite matthews. But this guy is a top10 pick and we pick dead last.

G

Giggs Legend

Love Watt. Great guy and great player. I don't think he fits in a 3-4. I don't see him playing linebacker. I don't think he will fall to GB. Giants or Patriots would be my guess.

G

Giggs Legend

Not OLB.

DE. He fits perfectly height-weight-strenght wise as a 5 technique.

I know he's not a linebacker but others here have speculated he could play there. I don't see him being strong enough against the run to play on a 3-man line. At times at Wisconsin he would get mauled by OT and pulling OG on interior run plays. Certainly our staff would be able to develop him physically so anything is possible. JJ certainly has the drive and the work ethic to make it happen.

I still think there will be plenty of teams who see him as a perfect fit in a 4-3 and will be very surprised to see him on the board at 32.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he's not a linebacker but others here have speculated he could play there. I don't see him being strong enough against the run to play on a 3-man line. At times at Wisconsin he would get mauled by OT and pulling OG on interior run plays. Certainly our staff would be able to develop him physically so anything is possible. JJ certainly has the drive and the work ethic to make it happen.

I still think there will be plenty of teams who see him as a perfect fit in a 4-3 and will be very surprised to see him on the board at 32.
There are 2 types of 3-4 defenses, gap-wise.

There's the "Fairbanks-Bullough" 2-gap system that the Patriots employ, for example, where their DL are asked to handle 2-gap responsabilities.

And then there's the Bum Phillips 1-gap system that we employ (actually we run a variant, created by Capers himself, but it's a 1-gap system).

Watt IMHO could play both schemes, but he would be IDEAL in our system, where penetration from the DL is asked a lot more than gap control.

Specially if you consider that 70%+ of the time we run a 2-4-5 nickel.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RS, Do you like Kerrigan or Watt better?
Watt.

But they're not similar players. Kerrigan is a tweener. I don't think he's agile enough to play OLB, but he doesn't have the weight to play DE in a 4-3.

If he had performed the same way (combine, college season) weighting 280 pounds, he would be a top 10 pick IMHO.

And, again, IMHO, Watt is much more attractive for a 3-4 team than a 4-3. But I believe he can play the strongside DE in a 4-3, but he's never going to be a consistant 10+ sack player.

I really don't like this 3-4 OLB class. Well, Von Miller is going to be an elite OLB, but every other guy won't IMHO. They may be productive complementary players in certain systems, but they're not gonna be #1 rushers.

Reaction score
I really want Watt. I know he is projected to go high BUT I see that MM and TT went to his pro day so maybe they are willing to trade up to get him. Watt, Raji and Pickett/Neal would be NASTY. With Watt playing opposite of CM3. I know its wishful thinking but sometimes I just gotta wish lol

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts