I've come to realize

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't buy the idea that if the Packers had just stayed healthy they would be have a serious SB contender this year. SF and Seattle are IMO clearly better and will be next year too unless something changes around here.
Watch the Wildcard game again. If Hyde catches that INT it's likely the Packers would have won that game, even as beat up as they were at the time. Then add back players like Jolly, Shields, Neal, and Matthews for that game and consider the 9ers won by a FG on their last drive. Going into next season, it's likely the Packers OL will be better with Bulaga's return and a year of experience under Bakhtiari's belt. Obviously the Packers defense has to get better but they are not that far away from SF and Seattle. If Rodgers and the WRs are healthy and the OL - minus Barclay at RT - is better, the Packers have a more dynamic offense than either of them.
TT is overrated to me and i've always felt that way...always will.
Hey, whatever you do, don't let new evidence change your preconceived opinions. If you have always felt Thompson was overrated you must have been completely dumbfounded by the 2010 season (or bend over backwards to avoid giving him credit). And if you will always feel that way that means even if the Thompson-led Packers win two more titles before he retires, you won't change your opinion. Not processing new information must save you a lot of time, but I think you will find attempting to think objectively on a continuous basis is well worth the time and effort. BTW, when did you stop evaluating your own opinions and set them in stone?

BTW and just my opinion: Bad name for a thread and you'd think bashing Thompson and McCarthy is a subject that could have been added to an existing one.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn´t done it for SEVEN years!!! I´m afraid he won´t change his philosophy this offseason.

OK... but I asked this now a million times and none of you TT critics ever respond... can you give me a long list of FA players over the past seven years that you wanted TT to grab? .... cuz if you can... please share. ...or... more likely to be the case... do you just arm-chair QB after the fact and point to all of these "great" free agent signing all over the NFL and then and only then rag, as if YOU called all of those great FA signings!? It's easy to play NFL GM in late January.
Anybody can do that.

Like I said, this summer as rosters get set, we're going to get all of your opinions down on this forum in writing. Everything from the draft picks to free agent signings (or lack there of). I can't wait. I really have no idea if some of you just aren't honest with yourselves or what it is but it is pretty amusing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch the Wildcard game again. If Hyde catches that INT it's likely the Packers would have won that game, even as beat up as they were at the time. Then add back players like Jolly, Shields, Neal, and Matthews for that game and consider the 9ers won by a FG on their last drive. Going into next season, it's likely the Packers OL will be better with Bulaga's return and a year of experience under Bakhtiari's belt. Obviously the Packers defense has to get better but they are not that far away from SF and Seattle. If Rodgers and the WRs are healthy and the OL - minus Barclay at RT - is better, the Packers have a more dynamic offense than either of them. Hey, whatever you do, don't let new evidence change your preconceived opinions. If you have always felt Thompson was overrated you must have been completely dumbfounded by the 2010 season (or bend over backwards to avoid giving him credit). And if you will always feel that way that means even if the Thompson-led Packers win two more titles before he retires, you won't change your opinion. Not processing new information must save you a lot of time, but I think you will find attempting to think objectively on a continuous basis is well worth the time and effort. BTW, when did you stop evaluating your own opinions and set them in stone?

BTW and just my opinion: Bad name for a thread and you'd think bashing Thompson and McCarthy is a subject that could have been added to an existing one.

To many fans still living in 2010....you guys can all stay there if it makes you feel better. I didnt start the thread so why would i care what it's titled?

D

Deleted member 6794

OK... but I asked this now a million times and none of you TT critics ever respond... can you give me a long list of FA players over the past seven years that you wanted TT to grab? .... cuz if you can... please share. ...or... more likely to be the case... do you just arm-chair QB after the fact and point to all of these "great" free agent signing all over the NFL and then and only then rag, as if YOU called all of those great FA signings!? It's easy to play NFL GM in late January.
Anybody can do that.

Like I said, this summer as rosters get set, we're going to get all of your opinions down on this forum in writing. Everything from the draft picks to free agent signings (or lack there of). I can't wait. I really have no idea if some of you just aren't honest with yourselves or what it is but it is pretty amusing.

I wasn´t posting here a lot until about two months ago, so I can´t prove any of the moves I would have liked Ted to make. Last offseason though it was pretty obvious that we needed safety help and TT didn´t do anything about it. At that point I would have liked him to sign Kerry Rhodes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty good, no doubt about that (the Patriots still had a better record). The things though is that this record is the result of having the best QB in the NFL, not because of having the best GM in the business.

What you just told Amish can apply to this post of yours

D

Deleted member 6794

He drafted rodgers..

You told amish he was only using certain facts to prove his point..

It seems your using same logic

I´ve always said he deserves credit for drafting Rodgers and sticking with him in 2008. That doesn´t make up for his shortcomings on drafting or signing defensive players over the last few seasons though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To many fans still living in 2010....you guys can all stay there if it makes you feel better.
It's better than being stuck in 2005 where you are (since you always thought Thompson was overrated).
I didnt start the thread so why would i care what it's titled?
Every comment wasn't aimed at you. I responded to ExPatPacker, then responded to you, then new paragraph, new idea. Plus I wouldn't think I'd have to explain a comment on the originator of the thread wasn't aimed at someone who didn't start it.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think that Thompson has had more influence on the record over the last five seasons than Rodgers??? Yeah, whatever.

And what exactly makes you think Ted Thompson doesn't manage his team knowing that he's got the best QB in the game on his team?

Gary Ellerson said it best a few weeks ago. He said, "Of course Ted has managed this team differently with Aaron Rodgers being here than he would if he wasn't! It would be ignorant not to!"

Thompson's first order of business has been to make sure Rodgers has all the weapons he needs on that side of the ball. He has said as much over the years. I fail to see how anyone could question that. As long as the Pack has the best QB in the game and the players on that side to help him... they always have a shot to win! It's pretty sad that he got fantastic players like Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Lacey and J-Mike to go along with A-Rod...and he gets no credit for that. THAT is totally over-looked. No biggie... everyone has tons of play makers like that right? NOT!!!!!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I agree the city may affect the decision of a lot of players to not come to Green Bay. Other teams don´t have more money available to sign free agents though because of the cap.

As I´ve said repeatedly I don´t want TT to overpay for free agents, but I´m quite sure there are guys out there that can be signed to reasonable contracts and could help the defense (Kerry Rhodes comes to my mind, I´m sure he would have helped the team last year in a big way).

Yes, other teams DO have more money, depends on how they manage their cap. For example: for the 2014 season, the Raiders have in the range of 68 million they can use....hence, they have more cash.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To many fans still living in 2010....you guys can all stay there if it makes you feel better. I didnt start the thread so why would i care what it's titled?
I am kind of curious. Do you think the Patriots should fire Belichek? Do you think the 49ers should move on from Harbough? Afterall, since 2011, the Packers have been more successful than either of these teams and you want TT gone.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right you are !!! But having the best QB is the result of the GM......if not, we could have been looking at a much different QB situation.
I wonder who Ted had on his board for his 1st pick since nobody thought in their wildest dreams that AR would be available at #24.
I wonder where we would be now if AR had not been there.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder who Ted had on his board for his 1st pick since nobody thought in their wildest dreams that AR would be available at #24.
I wonder where we would be now if AR had not been there.
I think Ted going with Rodgers over Favre in 2008 more than makes up for that argument. And besides that means he was better than the 20 something GM who skipped over him in 2005. So TT is at least a top 10 gm then based off the point you are making.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am kind of curious. Do you think the Patriots should fire Belichek? Do you think the 49ers should move on from Harbough? Afterall, since 2011, the Packers have been more successful than either of these teams and you want TT gone.

The Patriots and the Niners have been to all three conference championship games and a Super Bowl since 2011, the Packers have one playoff win vs. a backup QB, what makes you think the Packers have been better than those teams since 2011???

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To many fans still living in 2010....you guys can all stay there if it makes you feel better.

I mean, honestly. How does this even make sense?!?! It's not like we're justifying TT as a GM when his last bit of success was decades ago. That was THREE YEARS AGO!!!!! What are your expectations? Please explain it if the level of the Packers success under TT is insufficient. Once and for all, please provide some type of justification/explanation for this ridiculous statement.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots and the Niners have been to all three conference championship games and a Super Bowl since 2011, the Packers have one playoff win vs. a backup QB, what makes you think the Packers have been better than those teams since 2011???
3 years ago the Packers won a Superbowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson's first order of business has been to make sure Rodgers has all the weapons he needs on that side of the ball. He has said as much over the years. I fail to see how anyone could question that. As long as the Pack has the best QB in the game and the players on that side to help him... they always have a shot to win! It's pretty sad that he got fantastic players like Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Lacey and J-Mike to go along with A-Rod...and he gets no credit for that. THAT is totally over-looked. No biggie... everyone has tons of play makers like that right? NOT!!!!!

TT has done a great job on the offensive side of the ball and I'll give him tons of credit for that.

I'm just amazed that some of you just don't seem to understand it's been a way different story on defense and call some of us clueless and TT haters for pointing out the obvious.

For the record, I don't hate TT, I think he's a pretty good GM, not a great one because of the shortcomings on defense. And it seems like he's lost some magic in the draft over the last few years and I think losing Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey has something to do with it.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has done a great job on the offensive side of the ball and I'll give him tons of credit for that.

I'm just amazed that some of you just don't seem to understand it's been a way different story on defense and call some of us clueless and TT haters for pointing out the obvious.

For the record, I don't hate TT, I think he's a pretty good GM, not a great one because of the shortcomings on defense. And it seems like he's lost some magic in the draft over the last few years and I think losing Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey has something to do with it.

There is a difference between pointing things out TT could do different and still thinking TT has done a "decent to very good" job... 80% of Packer fans fall someplace in that wide category and it appears you do as well.

...as opposed to the guys that spew nothing but negatives about the guy and the team and they can't even see how ignorant and non- analytical their rants are and they just-keep right-on spewing the crap. I mean...c'mon...have you read some of these anti-TT posts from some of these guys?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How have the Packers been more successful since 2011 than the Patriots or the Niners? They both went to the SB and in years that they did not, they were in the championship game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a difference between pointing things out TT could do different and still thinking TT has done a "decent to very good" job... 80% of Packer fans fall someplace in that wide category and it appears you do as well.

...as opposed to the guys that spew nothing but negatives about the guy and the team and they can't even see how ignorant and non- analytical their rants are and they just-keep right-on spewing the crap. I mean...c'mon...have you read some of these anti-TT posts from some of these guys?

We read your bullcrap all freakin day so whats the difference? that you are on the Tt fan club? other then that eveything else is just a bunch of opinions we are ALL posting.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch the Wildcard game again. If Hyde catches that INT it's likely the Packers would have won that game, even as beat up as they were at the time. Then add back players like Jolly, Shields, Neal, and Matthews for that game and consider the 9ers won by a FG on their last drive. Going into next season, it's likely the Packers OL will be better with Bulaga's return and a year of experience under Bakhtiari's belt. Obviously the Packers defense has to get better but they are not that far away from SF and Seattle. If Rodgers and the WRs are healthy and the OL - minus Barclay at RT - is better, the Packers have a more dynamic offense than either of them.

I think my comment was more of a general observation on the season. You're right about the WC game, most likely having Bulaga, Matthews and the rest would have made quite a difference. And yet, we pretty much backed into the NFC North crown due to the implosion of Detroit and the Bears, who had it served to them on a silver platter. So, I'll take my comment back to a degree, but even so I'm not sure that the defense would have been up to the task.

Were I to try and identify the reason why I said that, I would say that I did not see the necessary improvement in the defense that would show me that they had the potential to make stops against high-powered teams. Of course I must add, neither Seattle nor SF have powerhouse offenses, except when it's Kaepernick against us.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, honestly. How does this even make sense?!?! It's not like we're justifying TT as a GM when his last bit of success was decades ago. That was THREE YEARS AGO!!!!! What are your expectations? Please explain it if the level of the Packers success under TT is insufficient. Once and for all, please provide some type of justification/explanation for this ridiculous statement.

first off take a volume k? Secondly the biggest knock i've had on TT is this team has been horrible on defense the past 3 seasons which has cost us even a chance to sniff a SB and nothing really has changed. Am i wrong for putting blame on the guy responsible for the personel on the team? if i am then i apologize haha. I don't have to justify that even tho i want Capers out to most of the issues are because of the lack of talent at key positions...TT can explain that to you.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can you please..not just you can anybody find a post where i have said fire TT. i mean since i want him gone so bad then surely theres something in the forums that show i've posted such a thing. I'm guilty of saying he's cheap and misses alot on defense with his picks as of late but where have i said fire him? "I am kind of curious."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts