'It's on tape': Fan demands Bears player fulfill ticket vow

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Is this another example of Bears fans being mistreated?

January 25, 2007

Months before the Chicago Bears clinched their first trip to the Super Bowl in 21 years, safety Chris Harris stared into a video camera and promised to take fan Bryan Lange with him to Miami if the team made it to the big game.

The apparent promise -- made during a 40-second interview with a public access television show last June -- might have seemed like a longshot at the time.

But now that the Bears are in, thanks in part to Harris' big plays last Sunday, Lange is trying to hold Harris to his words.

He also posted a clip of the interview he filmed at a charity event at http://www.psychobabbletv.com/chrisharrispromised

In it, Harris tells Lange -- who goes by the name Chong on a show called Psycho Babble -- that his goal is to make it to the Super Bowl.

Says Lange: "If you guys make it to the Super Bowl, I'll sell my Harley to go.''

Harris replies, "You won't have to sell it. I will give you tickets.''

Lange replies, "I'm going to hold you to it. I've got you on tape.''

Harris, looking at the camera, then agrees: "It's on tape. If we win, he's going.''

Lange concludes the interview by saying, "Chong is going to the Super Bowl with the Bears on Chris Harris' dollar.''

After two days in the cold, Lange, 33, says Harris told him Wednesday that he couldn't help him.

In a phone interview, Harris' agent, Albert Elias, said he was unaware of Harris' promise but called Lange's appeal "a very unreasonable request considering Chris has over 40 family members trying to get tickets and he's only offered 15.''

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is on tape!!! how can he get out of this?

By continuing to be a butthead Bears player and going back on his word! He shouldn't make these types of promises if he doesn't plan on fulfilling them.

I understand he has alot of family, but he's the one who made the statement. It's not like he was cornered and had to be a 'good guy' or anything. I mean, this was his idea!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
he is on tape!!! how can he get out of this?

By continuing to be a butthead Bears player and going back on his word! He shouldn't make these types of promises if he doesn't plan on fulfilling them.

I understand he has alot of family, but he's the one who made the statement. It's not like he was cornered and had to be a 'good guy' or anything. I mean, this was his idea!

Hey.....lets face it.........when he made the offer, even in the back of HIS mind he was saying to himself "Go ahead and make the offer.......there's NO way it will ever come true anyway!!!" Even HE didn't believe the Bears would make it to the Super Bowl!
Now he will look like an even BIGGER jerk if he doesn't come through for the guy. Although I doubt there is anything legal or binding in what the player said in the spur of the moment during the taping.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A promise is not a contract. there is no consideration on Langes part. Therefore, no payment legally needs to be made. Morally on the other hand......

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I hope the Bears if not Harris himself step up to the plate and do something to correct this. There has to be something they can to appease the guy.

Afterall if a man isn't worth his word, what is he worth?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I seen Phillypink has posted several times, but avoided this one. I was really wanting to read how he would defend this.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: 'It's on tape': Fan demands Bears player fulfill ticket

I was listening to Jason Smith on ESPN hammering on this over and over and over this morning.

His take: the guy said it into the camera and he should pay up.

Ya, right, Jason, and you never made stupid promises in a bar.

1)The Bears(and Harris) did this CABLE-ACCESS TV DUDE a big favor by even talking to him.

2)The "Dude" is simply trying to get people to watch his show. Oh, ya and if Harris caves, he has a ticket to the Super Bowl.

3)While some might take this as a legal 'contract', I doubt seriously a judge would rule in favor of the Larry the Cable Guy. Times short, anyway.

I hope Harris tells this guy to go to hell. Family tickets first. If there's any left(there won't be) then maybe. Harris actually could tell this guy if he shuts up now, he'll come on his stupid CABLE-ACCESS TV SHOW. He would AGAIN get a national audience(and big ratings in Chicago) just to see how this is resolved. The guy would garner more from that than going to the NFL Pageant of Stupidity and Oh, Ya, the Championship Football Game known commonly as the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Where the promise was made is not relevent. I wasn't aware it was made in a bar and if it wasn't why are you comparing the two? The man gave his word. If a man isn't worth his word, what is he worth? Nothing.

I wouldn't make a family member miss seeing myself play in the SB because of a promise to someone. I sure as hell wouldn't be shruggin it off like he is either. I do not know what his options are, but I'd be doing something to make this go away and to satisfy the guy.

I do somewhat agree the guy is making a big huff out of this for his TV show. Why go public with it if that wasn't your agenda? ya know? He and Harris should jus figure something out and the guy should be reasonable with Harris. And next time, maybe Harris will avoid being so stupid on camera as to promise something he has no intentions of complying with.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
as zero said if a man isnt worth his word then what good is it..

the guy doesnt have to give the free tickets up, but he could help pay for some tickets..

A judge probably wouldnt find in favor of " larry the cable guy" but why can a guy say something like that in public and not back it up...

Does this remind anyone of Dante Culpepper and his huge chain and the little boy at that press conference?

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Harris should have a couple grand or something. Buy him a f*cking ticket on Ebay or something.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wonder if this cable access dude has always been true to his word? This isn't a contract....and if you've ever looked at another woman, you've violated your "word". When you get a driver's license, you vow to obey all laws. Ever gone 26 in a 25 zone?

I guess you should become a monk and stop driving. You didn't keep your word. Maybe it's a matter of degree?

Harris has 40 requests for tickets from family and friends. He gets 13 tickets.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I wonder if this cable access dude has always been true to his word? This isn't a contract....and if you've ever looked at another woman, you've violated your "word". When you get a driver's license, you vow to obey all laws. Ever gone 26 in a 25 zone?

I guess you should become a monk and stop driving. You didn't keep your word. Maybe it's a matter of degree?

Harris has 40 requests for tickets from family and friends. He gets 13 tickets.

:rotflmao:
thanks for that laugh man, i needed that... you freakin rock!!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In order for a contract to exist, there must be "consideration" from both parties.

"If you do "A"...then I will do "B" "
ex. : I will pay you two hundred dollars if you run naked in the street. If the other party agrees then it is a contract. Should he run in the street and not get paid then the first party is in breach of the contract.

In Harris' case, there was no consideration on the part of the cable guy. Therefore, there was no breach of contract on Harris' part.

A promise is not a contract. There was no contract between the cable guy and Harris

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

In order for a contract to exist, there must be "consideration" from both parties.

ex. : I will pay you two hundred dollars if you run naked in the street. If the other party agrees then it is a contract. Should he run in the street and not get paid then the first party is in breach of the contract.

In Harris' case, there was no consideration on the part of the cable guy. Therefore, there was no breach of contract on Harris' part.

A promise is not a contract. There was no contract between the cable guy and Harris

How so Tripp?? Cable guy said he was going to seel his Harley to go and Harris said no dont..Cable guy didnt say you dont have to do that and didnt cable guy even say WE GOT IT ON TAPE??

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still not a contract.

Now had he said "IF you don't sell your harley and we go to the superbowl" then yes, that would be a contract.

Consideration on both parties is the key. Harris' consideration is not relient on any action or consideration of cable guys

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Still not a contract.

Now had he said "IF you don't sell your harley and we go to the superbowl" then yes, that would be a contract.

Consideration on both parties is the key. Harris' consideration is not relient on any action or consideration of cable guys

Makes no sense at all??

Lange replies, "I'm going to hold you to it. I've got you on tape.''

Harris, looking at the camera, then agrees: "It's on tape. If we win, he's going.''
Lange concludes the interview by saying, "Chong is going to the Super Bowl with the Bears on Chris Harris' dollar.''

Cable guy says he is going on harris dollar, and harris agreed to it?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey Zero.........can we get you into the contract negotiations of all the NFL players and teams???
Maybe they could learn something from you!!! :thumbsup:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah...........SURE Tripp..............you STILL haven't sent me my $200!!!! :thumbsup:
(And it was COLD outside!!!)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:

Hey Zero.........can we get you into the contract negotiations of all the NFL players and teams???

I wouldn't last a week! My 'clients' would only sign contracts based on performance of themselves and the team and would be paid accordingly. It'd take a lot of work, but I'd heavily base pay on play :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
Zero2Cool said:

I wouldn't last a week! My 'clients' would only sign contracts based on performance of themselves and the team and would be paid accordingly. It'd take a lot of work, but I'd heavily base pay on play :)
Oh geez......wouldn't that be nice??? But we know it will NEVER happen! But it's sure nice to dream!!! :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts