It's just the first quarter.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. A season like a game is divided into quarters. We've got one in and three to go. And at the end of the first quarter of this season the Packers are even record-wise and in first place in their division; pending some help tonight from Philadelphia.
While I hoped for another surprise start like last year I rather expected that the Packers could be 2-2 at this point when looking at the situation of the team and the schedule when it came out. What I felt was most critical was for the Pack to win the division games with Minnesota & Detroit and they got that done.
We've had two disappointing, poor outings against playoff teams now and as of now the Packers may be good enough to win their division but won't be a deep playoff club. But there's still 12 games to go before the playoffs start and a lot of things can change for the Packers and other teams as well by then.
Look at the Giants last year. No one considered them a likely Super Bowl team until they got there. Not until the final game of the season did they show much to indicate what they'd do in the postseason. For awhile around midseason some doubted they'd even get there.
The Packers have a lot of work to do but it's the injury situation that should be of most concern. Too many more of those and the season could be lost.
Let's take a look at the next quarter of the season starting with Atlanta at Lambeau next week. I think that quarter is going to be more telling. If the Packers can't beat the Falcons in Green Bay and a vulnerable Seattle team on the road then we'll be a lot closer to pushing the panic button. Tennessee is looking very tough and we go on the road there but an upset over the Colts at Lambeau could happen.
If things work out that way the Packers should be 5-3 at the midpoint, at least 4-4. And in a division that could go for 9-7 this year, that's not a terrible position to be in.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's some good optimism there. We can still win the Division, and if we do that we are headed to the Playoffs. So I can agree to be positive on that account. I didn't expect a repeat of last year's success, even if Favre was here, it was likely the team would regress some, and I think that ultimately was why TT decided to let him go, but I am greatly concerned about Rodgers health right now. I'm not sure Flynn or Brohm, as much as I like them, are quite ready for this. Unless we can sign some veteran to come in and play right now (who's available anyways?) we better hunker down and find a way to stop some teams on Defense or this season could go down hill, very very quickly.

Members online

Latest posts