It's all about choice

acw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In todays NFL, with the salary caps, it's all about evaluating talent and getting it. Whether it's college players in the draft or young players on other teams (ala Favre trade), the Packers need to find someone who can really evaluate talent, as Wolf did, hire them to do nothing but that, and pay them lots and lots of money. Ron Wolf made better picks in the fourth and fifth rounds than the Packers make in the second and third.

v00d00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll plug Tom Modrak once again...Assistant Genral Manager of the Buffalo Bills. I think he's well established with the teams he's helped put together, and I think he will more than likely find success in the NFL as a GM whether it's with the Packers or elsewhere. He is of the caliber of professionals that I'd like to see come in to Green Bay and turn things around.

OP
OP
A

acw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I want to turn things around. We're not talking about the 49er's, the Packers are 8-5. Say what you will about close games and defenses but there's 23 teams in the NFL who wish they were 8-5. Obviously the Packers are still going in basically the right direction, we need incremental changes.

I don't care for Slowik but I could see giving him another year if we get someone who can evaluate talent well enough to get him some good players. A real GM would also help.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
v00d00 said:
I'll plug Tom Modrak once again...Assistant Genral Manager of the Buffalo Bills. I think he's well established with the teams he's helped put together, and I think he will more than likely find success in the NFL as a GM whether it's with the Packers or elsewhere. He is of the caliber of professionals that I'd like to see come in to Green Bay and turn things around.
Bringing in new blood on the Coaching side of the ball, I feel, is something sorely needed in Green Bay. The Coaching Staff, with exception of Bonamego is lacking in several areas. And, with Sherman still pretending he calls all the plays on Offense (not) well, that's just plain jibberish... Mariucci's not gonna let it happen, but I would vote for Sherm Lewis to come back for the OC chair... right away.
How old is Tom Modrak? Wasn't he part of the 90's Bills Teams? Four SB's and no trophies? Maybe I'm wrong there... But being able to read talent is a definite must, that's for sure. Wolf didn't know (at all) if Favre would gel into a great QB - but he saw the toughness and that's why they went after him - Majik Man commented on Sports Radio early in the morning last week, that Favre was green as could be, didn't study anything, just hoped he could fake it with his big arm... It truly could have gone completely the other way, even with Brett... It was Mike Holmgren that smartened Favre up - without Holmgren creating the greatness in Brett... the Nineties would have just been another so-so decade for the Packers. It was just FATE, that took over...

I'd replace Rossley & Slowik immediately.. here's the given....
If Sherman no longer has the handicapp of "his buddies" on the Coaching Staff - then he would probably evaluate the weekly setups quite differently..and expect a higher caliber of preparations from his Staff... to prove they knew what they were doing, instead of getting the 'free pass' as it were since these guys come from the inside.. Personally, I think they're both gettin' off easy "every week".... Those two need to be held accountable! Rossley should have been gone two years ago, without a doubt.... and firing Donatell was just plain good ol' boy stupidity - corporate back-stabbing of the highest caliber... nothing but decoy conversation to save face, by both Sherman & Rossley - go look at Atlanta's record... ya think that's a fluke - watch it happen next year, too!

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Donatell had taken time out to learn how to play a good game of golf, with Brett and the others, if Rossley would have gotten the axe instead of him (Donatell) for that ridiculous pass-play he called and forced the INT which Brett had to throw up... just to avoid the pass-rush which had been waiting ALL game to run it's route.. the Eagles had prepped before the game for that scenario.. and Rossley never took it into consideration at all. THAT was the blunder that cost us a possible trip to the SB last year... not the "4th & 26" everyone keeps harping on.... Sad to say, that such a situation exists within a Sports Team - being forced to kiss up on a Golfing outing just to maintain your friggin' job.. but there.. it's been said and it is very much the truth in Green Bay.

You change the mentality of the Coaching Staff - and the Players will follow suit! To be sure!
I know one thing - Brett won't be sorry to see Rossley leave!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts