It was like turning back time

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching AJ Hawk coming in hard from the corner and knocking that FB aside reminded me immediately of Reggie and how that forearm would lift 300lb tackles off their feet.

I think that one may have even taken Hawk a little by surprise.

This defense has a chance to be real special and here is why:

We do not need the LB's to create pressure and get the QB running. That is HUGE because once you get the "0" line focused on the guy in front of him THEN you bring the LB's or Bigby and they never see them coming.

PLUS, we can leave the LB's in coverage schemes more and take away the passing lanes without needing them so much on the rush.

It looks to me we are going in with a "D" that is definately underrated although it won't take long for teams to see what we have over on that side of the ball.

MM is installing a "toughness" to this team we have not seen in a long time. A defense that is actually fun to watch vs. a horribly painfull experience to sit thru.

FINALLY!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I agree 100% that this defense has a chance to be special, but even if they don't put up record numbers, I think they indeed will be a treat to watch.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100% that this defense has a chance to be special, but even if they don't put up record numbers, I think they indeed will be a treat to watch.

Of course the way '03 ended was awful but watching that debacle in '04 with Slowick was rediculous. I think that Indy game was the lowest point of Packer defense maybe in our history.

In '05 everybody just ran right over us and if they needed a first down they just threw over to Carrolls side and either it was a completion or a hold.

So yes, for me at least, seeing this defense perform the way they are is definately a treat.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching AJ Hawk coming in hard from the corner and knocking that FB aside reminded me immediately of Reggie and how that forearm would lift 300lb tackles off their feet.

We do not need the LB's to create pressure and get the QB running. That is HUGE because once you get the "0" line focused on the guy in front of him THEN you bring the LB's or Bigby and they never see them coming.

PLUS, we can leave the LB's in coverage schemes more and take away the passing lanes without needing them so much on the rush.

It looks to me we are going in with a "D" that is definately underrated although it won't take long for teams to see what we have over on that side of the ball.

MM is installing a "toughness" to this team we have not seen in a long time. A defense that is actually fun to watch vs. a horribly painfull experience to sit thru.

FINALLY!

True from start to finish, I totally agree! I am looking forward to watching our D this year.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any time you can pressure the QB with just your front 4 D linemen, it is a good thing.

that, and you are strong up the middle, DT, MLB, SS you will have success.

hopefully bigby makes a difference thiss year at SS, although he got beat badly v.s. Pittsburg.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I CANNOT WAIT for Philly.

I still remember last year when McNabb had done NOTHING until Woodson went out and that cocky smile after getting to pick on Carroll.

Let's see how good he can throw it off his backside.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philly is a good team. A Super Bowl contender in the NFC so let's not get overconfident because they'll come to play. With that said I think the Packers have something special on the Defensive Side of the Ball. This is the best Packer Defense I've seen since the days of Reggie White and Fritz Shumur. Lots of potential but that potential needs to turn into production, otherwise it'll be meaningless.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miy gut tells me that the Packers "D" is going to be in the top 5 in the N.F.L. defensive stats.

However.... And this is the key.

I think they will be NUMBER ONE IN THE NFL in defensive points scored this year.

Give this group two more years together and just watch what happens.

R.P.

2009 Baby!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FINALLY!

Cullen Jenkins will go to the Pro Bowl this year. There, I said it. Make that be known.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Miy gut tells me that the Packers "D" is going to be in the top 5 in the N.F.L. defensive stats.

However.... And this is the key.

I think they will be NUMBER ONE IN THE NFL in defensive points scored this year.

Give this group two more years together and just watch what happens.

R.P.

2009 Baby!

That's a good stat (most points scored by defense), but the most important stat I'd like to see our D do is least PA. Now, THAT would be cool. Won't happen this year, but I foresee it in the near future.

LordEvil

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FINALLY!

I was just thinking the same thing

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philly is a good team. A Super Bowl contender in the NFC so let's not get overconfident because they'll come to play. With that said I think the Packers have something special on the Defensive Side of the Ball. This is the best Packer Defense I've seen since the days of Reggie White and Fritz Shumur. Lots of potential but that potential needs to turn into production, otherwise it'll be meaningless.

I'm not necessarily predicting a win although I feel pretty good about this opener. I just still remember last years game and it was very even until Woodson had to go out.
McNabb won't get the gimme's down the right side like last year that opened the game up for them.
My guess is they will be a little apprehensive coming in here knowing we get after the QB pretty good with this being his first regular season game back in quite awhile.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

I'm not necessarily predicting a win although I feel pretty good about this opener. I just still remember last years game and it was very even until Woodson had to go out.
McNabb won't get the gimme's down the right side like last year that opened the game up for them.
My guess is they will be a little apprehensive coming in here knowing we get after the QB pretty good with this being his first regular season game back in quite awhile.

They didn't have Brian Westbrook for that game last year though. That concerns me. He gives them so much on offense and I wonder how the Packers are going to defend him. I would probably shadow him with Hawk or Barnett but if the Eagles are smart, they'll find ways to get him to line up across from Bigby or Poppinga lined up on him. His receiving skills are that dangerous out of the backfield in my opinion.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know most of you guys probalyl didnt see it... but Philly played Carolina recently and Carolina has a pretty stout defense i think we can all agree.

AND PHILLY WAXED THAT ***. they made Carolinas Defense look silly. Donavon McNabb torched them and they looked really good. I would prefer we didnt play them.... but if we have to i definetly think we can win that game.

Basically I think our defense is better right now than carolina... due to age.

Staff online

Members online