tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Pack93z said:
So Lombardi walked away from the Packers because the run was over. Nevermind that he was a long-time sufferer of digestive tract problems and was in constant pain. Nevermind the details that the pain was severe enough to prevent him from sleeping normally and that he took to sleeping at Packer head quarters to help hide the fact he was sick.

Nevermind that finally after time they finally got him to go to the doctors, only to be diagnosed with intestinal cancer that lead to his death.

Yep the talent was declining and he decided to run from his post. Classic.

Debate things all you want but don't throw a legend under the bus doing it. Facts be damned.
I'm NOT saying he quit BECAUSE the team was going down the crapper. I'm saying he left at the time it was evident, and even HE couldn't have turned the team into SB contenders at that time. The team was doomed at that point, even HE couldn't have "willed" it into winning another championship.
Yes, he has some GREAT quotes. But they are not possible for ANYONE to achieve.
I don't appreciate how some think that just BECAUSE Lombardi wanted to win, that that was all it took for it too happen. Like if we get some GM in here that just WANTS to win, that the team will magically turn into instant winners. It doesn't happen for ANY team. It's not realistic to hold ANYONE to an unattainable standard.
I didn't mean to belittle Lombardi at all. I'm sorry it was taken that way.

Well in your little tantrum you did insult him. You made no mention of the other circumstances surrounding his exit. You can go back on it now, but it is what it is.

Can every team win every game, evey year? Of course not. The point is TT is content with losing games now because it "may" benefit us in the future.

Lombardi didn't or wouldn't think that way. Lombardi was about winning. If TT is the same he is failing miserably
LOL! Ask me if I care what you think. You have thrown enough tantrums on here to fill a daycare center for the next 5 years.
You saying TT is "content with losing" shows how little you know.
Can you some how read minds to know thats what he thinks?
You seem to love to throw things up into people's faces every chance you get.
Gee.....i only hope to some day be as perfect as you Pyle!
And as knowlegeable about what other people are thinking.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
The point is TT is content with losing games now because it "may" benefit us in the future.

Source? Oh yeah...

you know that as a fact cuz you know everything somehow.

Source

http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/team/GB

Judging all those young men before they play one snap.

Not is that just stupid.

It's ignorant.

Oh don't worry, they will play not only one snap, but every snap cause thats all we got. But, don't worry they have potential

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesey... no worries mate... just wanted to tell the other side.
Pack93z.......your feelings about it matter to me. So I wanted you to know that I didn't mean to smear Lombardi. I saw him coach, and have lots of admiration for the man. He was one of the best of all times at what he did.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It's not my feelings Cheesey... it is his good name is all.

Rule #1 - never let anyone's posts be taken personally or anger you. It is just another opinion in the sea of them.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
The point is TT is content with losing games now because it "may" benefit us in the future.

Source? Oh yeah...

Source

Not is that just stupid.

It's ignorant.

Oh don't worry, they will play not only one snap, but every snap cause thats all we got.

Harrell is our only DT?
Clowny and Jones are our only WRs?
Jackson and Wynn the only Rbs?

Get back to me when you make sense.

(that means don't talk to me ever please)

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:

Source? Oh yeah...

Source

Not is that just stupid.

It's ignorant.

Oh don't worry, they will play not only one snap, but every snap cause thats all we got.

Harrell is our only DT?

I AGREE with the above statement, why are we in the spot we are now? well a big reason is http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/GB look at 2001-2004, im sure I will be wrong though because im pointing out facts.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:

Source? Oh yeah...

Source

Not is that just stupid.

It's ignorant.

Harrell is our only DT?

Yeah, they will see the field plenty because TTs like those young, cheap and inconsistent players obviously.

Boy I'm sure glad we got Jones instead of Moss.......Quite the sigh of relief

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:

Source? Oh yeah...

Source

Not is that just stupid.

It's ignorant.

Harrell is our only DT?

I AGREE with the above statement, why are we in the spot we are now? well a big reason is http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/GB look at 2001-2004, im sure I will be wrong though because im pointing out facts.

How many pro-bowlers has Ted Drafted?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
pyledriver80 said:

Source? Oh yeah...

Source

Not is that just stupid.

It's ignorant.

Harrell is our only DT?

WOW good one you got me there. Sherman had Kampman just last year 1, and Javon Walker thats 2. You forgot to mention Sherman has had 4 drafts, TT has had 3 plus Sherman is a coach and has had 5 years here to TT's 3. Not to mention pro-bowls are a popularity contest. TT has AJ Hawk, Nick Collins, Greg Jennings as possible people to make the pro-bowl plus this years draft. Anyways you should do how many of Shermans players had success and werent complete flat out busts to TT's?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wait a second...pyle doesn't like Ted Thompson?

we should go for a record on this website and see how many times we can have the same discussion in a different way, with the same point of view, and the same statements made, in the same stuck up tone...with everybody leaving the thread just a little bit dumber.

doesn't anybody get tired of this ****? i'd rather repeatedly slam my balls in a filing cabinet then get involved in one of these pointless, repetitive "conversations". they never go anywhere. occasionally something interesting will come out of it, but even the sun shines on a dog's red rocket every now and then.

i can understand the passion for debate, but do these qualify? it's closer to a 6 year old plugging his ears while yelling "LALALALALA" while the other kid is talking. i would say it makes me upset, but it doesn't. it makes me feel bad for the sorry mf'er that got sucked into yet another, rehashed, 2 1/2 year old argument.

i wonder if all the other Packers forums are like this...

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
all about da packers said:
Do resort to attempting to answer the question pyle.

I think cheesey makes a great point, Lombardi saw his run coming to an end and decided he had to move on too....

Yes, because he knew he was doomed. Perhaps TT should do the same. Thompson needs to realize he's incompetent and move on for the sake of the organization.

There is a Lombardi Trophy but not a Thompson Trophy. There are Lombardi's words and then there is that mumbled bunch of garbage Ted spits out of his blowhole.

Lombardi made no excuses, Lombardi is god
Uh......Lombardi left when he knew it was over. So he didn't HAVE to make an excuse. He cut and ran. The man was a GREAT coach, no doubt. But the times are different. His ways wouldn't work in todays NFL. When a player asked for more money, he traded them. So.........Barnett wouldn't be here, Favre wouldn't have been here for 16 years, Driver would have been traded, and I could go on.
You are not giving TT a chance to prove himself either way, period.
Heck......Lombardi didn't win right away either. Had you been there when they hired him, you would have been screaming for his firing.

WRONGO!
In Lombardis 1st season in 1959 the Packers went 7-5 after suffering a 1-10-1 season in "58".
They then followed that up with an 8-4 season and followed that with 11-3.
You call that not winning!!!!!

Quit pissing on Lombardis grave.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:

I think cheesey makes a great point, Lombardi saw his run coming to an end and decided he had to move on too....

Yes, because he knew he was doomed. Perhaps TT should do the same. Thompson needs to realize he's incompetent and move on for the sake of the organization.

There is a Lombardi Trophy but not a Thompson Trophy. There are Lombardi's words and then there is that mumbled bunch of garbage Ted spits out of his blowhole.

Uh......Lombardi left when he knew it was over. So he didn't HAVE to make an excuse. He cut and ran. The man was a GREAT coach, no doubt. But the times are different. His ways wouldn't work in todays NFL. When a player asked for more money, he traded them. So.........Barnett wouldn't be here, Favre wouldn't have been here for 16 years, Driver would have been traded, and I could go on.
Heck......Lombardi didn't win right away either. Had you been there when they hired him, you would have been screaming for his firing.

WRONGO!
In Lombardis 1st season in 1959 the Packers went 7-5 after suffering a 1-10-1 season in "58".

I meant he didn't win the championship his first couple years. I was JUST pointing out that he WAS after all, human. Just like us and TT and MM. Not perfect as some want to make him. He was the best coach of his time for certain. Plus, as i have said, the times are different. You could keep a team together for long runs, as there wasn't the free agents running off when you won the big one like there is now. Or the salary cap that might cause you to have to let good players go, becuase you can no longer afford them.
If he was alive today, i bet Lombardi would agree that the whole NFL is different, thus impossible to compare fairly the 1960's to today.
I was only trying to show to some people that times have changed, and the situation is completely different. It's comparing apples to oranges.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So Lombardi walked away from the Packers because the run was over. Nevermind that he was a long-time sufferer of digestive tract problems and was in constant pain. Nevermind the details that the pain was severe enough to prevent him from sleeping normally and that he took to sleeping at Packer head quarters to help hide the fact he was sick.

Nevermind that finally after time they finally got him to go to the doctors, only to be diagnosed with intestinal cancer that lead to his death.

Yep the talent was declining and he decided to run from his post. Classic.

Debate things all you want but don't throw a legend under the bus doing it. Facts be damned.

I am not sure why he retired, and recall watching some stories about him and reasons as to why he retired...Even a part on how after SB 2 he knew he was done, but I cant remember exactly what the reasons were that he gave back then...But I dont really remember it as the pain he was in, more he was burnt out from the entire thing??

He was the GM for the packers in 68, 67 was his last year coaching the team

1969 he went to the redskins to be coach

He was diagnosed in 1970, his 2nd season with the redskins

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle wrote:

[/quote]

How many pro-bowlers did MS draft that made the pro-bowl in two years cause that's all Ted has had so far.
NONE. If you go back and look at Walkers SECOND year stats they are not any better than what Jennings did as a rookie.

As it relates to the Green Bay Packers right now how many freaking STARTERS did MS draft?

The answer: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH.

Averages about ONE for every year he was GM. Gee. Let's throw a party!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Warhawk.....you are right......but it will be ignored by some, as that fact doesn't back their side of the argument.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:

WRONGO!

I meant he didn't win the championship his first couple years. I was JUST pointing out that he WAS after all, human. Just like us and TT and MM. Not perfect as some want to make him. He was the best coach of his time for certain. Plus, as i have said, the times are different. You could keep a team together for long runs, as there wasn't the free agents running off when you won the big one like there is now. Or the salary cap that might cause you to have to let good players go, becuase you can no longer afford them.
If he was alive today, i bet Lombardi would agree that the whole NFL is different, thus impossible to compare fairly the 1960's to today.
I was only trying to show to some people that times have changed, and the situation is completely different. It's comparing apples to oranges.

In Lombardis 2nd year as GM and head coach, the Packers won the Western Conference Championship. In his third year, 1961, The Pack won the NFL Championship.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
yooperfan said:
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:

WRONGO!

In Lombardis 2nd year as GM and head coach, the Packers won the Western Conference Championship. In his third year, 1961, The Pack won the NFL Championship.
I'm NOT argueing with you Yoop!
YES! Lombardi was GREAT! I AGREE with you!
Some people are acting though like he was GOD himself! Lombardi himself said "God first, family second, then the Green Bay Packers." He was a BRILLIANT man and coach.
Some people here though act like he won EVERY championship. That he NEVER lost. They are trying to hold today's team to standards that are, and were not attainable.
Like if you just quote Lombardi, that means they can win all the time. And thats NOT real or attainable. Not even for the greatest coach the Packers ever had! He MEANT you should set your goal to TRY to win all the time. I think TT is TRYING to do that, not destroy the Packers.
I have 100% respect and admiration for Vince Lombardi.
I think what I said has been misunderstood, or as soon as i said something that some THINK was a slap at the man (which it wasn't) they immediatly think i'm trying to "**** on his grave." NONE of that is true one bit!
There is no need to attack or hate me. I was ONLY trying to make the point that even the best coach we ever had could not win 100% of the time.Thats all i meant.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
cheesey said:
yooperfan said:
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:

WRONGO!

I'm NOT argueing with you Yoop!
YES! Lombardi was GREAT! I AGREE with you!
Some people are acting though like he was GOD himself! Lombardi himself said "God first, family second, then the Green Bay Packers." He was a BRILLIANT man and coach.
Some people here though act like he won EVERY championship. That he NEVER lost. They are trying to hold today's team to standards that are, and were not attainable.
Like if you just quote Lombardi, that means they can win all the time. And thats NOT real or attainable. Not even for the greatest coach the Packers ever had! He MEANT you should set your goal to TRY to win all the time. I think TT is TRYING to do that, not destroy the Packers.
I have 100% respect and admiration for Vince Lombardi.
I think what I said has been misunderstood, or as soon as i said something that some THINK was a slap at the man (which it wasn't) they immediatly think i'm trying to "**** on his grave." NONE of that is true one bit!
There is no need to attack or hate me. I was ONLY trying to make the point that even the best coach we ever had could not win 100% of the time.Thats all i meant.

Cheesey,
I was neither attacking you or hating you. I wouldn't do that, you are one of my favorite posters and one I hope to have the honor of drinking a few beers with some day.
I felt that you mischaracterized Lombardi as a coward by saying that he "cut and ran".
Lombardi was made an offer by the Redskins that he could not refuse, they made him part owner of the Redskins. By accepting their offer he set his family up for life.
I doubt that any of us would pass up such an opportunity.

You also said Lombardi did not win in his first couple of years and I just wanted to set the record straight.

I'm sorry if you felt I was attacking you.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi was and is every traditionalists faorite.

What he brought to the Packers was the passion for the game, the organization and the teaching ability to get that same passion instilled into EVERY player on the Green Bay Packers which was at the time a talent laden team, but played without passion and didn't know how to win.

Lombardi's talent was in his ability to get inside the player's minds and their hearts which his predecessors in the 50's lacked.

the quote that was used may be the most qouted sentence ever.

I bet everyone here could fill in the blanks on this one.
"Winning isn't __________, its the ____ ____."

Members online

Latest posts