Is this team built for bad weather?

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone concerned that these Packers are not really built for bad weather? The team built under Holmgren and Wolfe were made to handle bad weather conditions. They thrived in December and January games at Lambeau and Chicago. The Packers teams of recent history haven't faired as well in cold conditions. This team thrives on airing it out and frequently throwing downfield with success, I'm concerned that phase of their game may suffer when the snowflakes and the temperature starts falling.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, not concerned at all. Some of Rodger's best performances have come when it's frigid outside.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is highly overrated and a myth that you need a bruising back and can't throw the ball in the cold. The Pack will be just fine.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Extreme cold weather makes a difference in any team. The ball feels like a rock. It's hard to catch it. It's hard to kick it. The ground feels like concrete, but it's not much different than in a dome. If the conditions are sloppy, that adds a whole new dimension.

But I'd offer a couple observations. Both teams have to play under the same conditions. If it's sloppy, both teams have to contend with it. So it's a struggle for everyone. The Packers are built about as good for poor conditions as any other team. It's not like horse racing, where you have "mudders." Running teams don't necessarily have an advantage in cold weather. Look at the Monday night game against the Ravens at Lambeau a couple years ago. It was about 10 degrees out and the Ravens had the running team. The Packers beat them without a whole lot of trouble. Running teams are over rated in this new era with new rules.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
With ARoge's Big hands and strong arm, cold, wet, snowy weather will not be a factor. Unless the viz drops really bad. This team is made to play anywhere, anytime, any weather, any team. Bring it on. We are the CHAMPIONS.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
LAst year vs the Giants

25 degrees, Rodgers completed 25 of 37 passes for 404 yards

The Bears NFC Champ game....17 degrees and 26 below zero wind chill

They won both and didnt seem to bother them at all
Rodgers had 404 with 4 TD's vs the Giants(25 degrees), 229 1 TD and 1 INT vs Bears(19 degrees), 180 yards 3 TD's vs Eagles(30 degrees), 224 0 TD's 2 INT's vs Bears(20 degrees) None of those temps include windchill
So thats 1037 yards 8 TD's and 3 INT's for Rodgers in cold weather games thats not to shabby if you ask me

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was good friends with an actual monk..He ended up teaching near Madison..

But he would drink (not a lot at all, sips here and there)...Called him the drunken monk lol
My brother in law is a monk,he takes a nip now and then,maybe it was him.He stays at St.Lorance teaches up there.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I think the bigger question is are the Lions any good outdoors after watching the Bears annihilate them yesterday. And that was just from being windy. What happens when you add cold to that windy?

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I firmly believe the weather effects the game. No myths there. The NFL has 90 years of history proving it does.
The Pack is built for good weather or play in a dome.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Posted this days ago in another thread. It was from a Pats fan on another forum in regards to this argument:

I've actually heard the opposite. Playing in winter conditions, assuming you're not talking about 40 mph winds, can help a passing game for a couple of reasons:

1. DBs do not know what routes receivers are running and cannot cut as quickly as they can on a dry surface. The footing is just not good enough. Even a fraction of a second's delay can give a receiver the separation he needs.

2. Pass rushers, similarly, cannot get good footing. It's a lot easier to stay in one place a block a guy than it is to dig in and bull rush someone when your feet keep slipping.

3. Teams that are not used to playing in snow and icy conditions and cold are typically very intimidated by it. I went to the October game in 2009 when the Patriots smacked the Titans 59-0 and Brady threw 5 TDs in one quarter (and six overall). He had a field day because he's been there, done that, and a lot of the Tennessee players were probably playing in those conditions for the first time in their careers.

Obviously there are also disadvantages. Wind, slick footballs, etc. But you can mitigate those factors pretty easily.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I've read it, Jules. It's one persons theory. It sounds good. But it doesn't hold up to history.

The 49ers are not beating GB in the playoffs unless the Packers suffer major injuries before the game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers indoor practice facility has climate control so they do what they can to make it feel real cold before playing in Lambeau.
The last big cold weather game at Lambeau was the one against the Giants. They were fine up until BrINT threw the game losing pass to the Giants. It had nothing to do with the weather. It was because of a bad QB. Now that we don't have that anymore, the Packers would still be good in cold weather.
Just like Longtime pointed out. How the Pack did against the Bears last season.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
LAst year vs the Giants

25 degrees, Rodgers completed 25 of 37 passes for 404 yards

The Bears NFC Champ game....17 degrees and 26 below zero wind chill

They won both and didnt seem to bother them at all

Was about to post this. I think we'll be just fine. Can't say the same for the dome teams that may have to play us.

But anyone who says the cold weather doesn't affect the game at all, it's just not true. The ball is harder to handle and when you take a hit, it hurts a lot more. Plus in cold weather it's harder to stay loose and because of that it's a lot easier to get injured.

I'm confident we can play in any conditions and still excel.

Cold Weather is certainly an advantage though and no teams want to play in those conditions. Look at the Vikings when they played at the Met. Nobody wanted to play the Vikings at the Met late in the year and it was an unbelievable advantage for them

Members online

Latest posts