Is this professional management?

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Seriously.

No viable backup to AR until 6 days before opening day. I don't even call that viable
No one to KR or PR. Not even really an afterthought. Cobb - I like it but HUGE risk
DBs - we can hardly field a team in the dime or nickel
OLine - never been good, then to switch all 5 of their positions from last year - WTF
RBs - Lacy and Franklin. I like it but 6 years into AR's career, we start to take rushing seriously?
Crosby - OMG, can you go lower on the food chain. What about the fake "competition"?
McCra%%y - Play caller with an odd number of chromosomes.

Jasonbadair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be a bears fan. They will be solid in December and have two weaknesses

1) returners

2) safeties

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, but this isn't 1950s photo shoots. This is full on Packer ***********. Don't leave anything to the imagination!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously.
I could respond to each one of your points but the likely overall theme is that while a plan was in place in each of these specific areas, it hasn't worked out as expected. What can you do? The GM has his finger in all of the pies so not each one can get the spot treatment without some luck and good fortune. However, DBs, Oline, and RB have been emphasized in the draft so it's not like they've been sitting on their hands.

I'm not making excuses but it's not like they sat on their hands since the SF playoff loss.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you brought a balanced argument by saying perhaps " Aaron Rodgers is a great QB, props for picking up one of the best players in the NFL, but it's a little puzzling why the run game problem wasn't solved a little sooner" I could argue with you, this I can not.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to know why we have SO MANY players with hamstring issues. Is no one stretching before the game? What is the deal?

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
If you brought a balanced argument by saying perhaps " Aaron Rodgers is a great QB, props for picking up one of the best players in the NFL, but it's a little puzzling why the run game problem wasn't solved a little sooner" I could argue with you, this I can not.

But that's my point. I'm newish here so I'll lay out my position again. We've had 20+ years of arguably the best QBs in the NFL and we haven't given them a supporting cast often. So in my agreeance with you, we don't have rookie AR and yet 7 years if him and we're finally addressing RB and still haven't fixed Oline? I think its a travesty.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
But that's my point. I'm newish here so I'll lay out my position again. We've had 20+ years of arguably the best QBs in the NFL and we haven't given them a supporting cast often. So in my agreeance with you, we don't have rookie AR and yet 7 years if him and we're finally addressing RB and still haven't fixed Oline? I think its a travesty.

No run support through the dredded Favre era and Arod era??? Huh??? We had "enough" considering we have been a pass first team for over 20 years now.

- dorsey levens
-Edgar bennett
-Ahman green
-Ryan Grant

and now promising Lacy and franklin.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
No run support through the dredded Favre era and Arod era??? Huh??? We had "enough" considering we have been a pass first team for over 20 years now.

- dorsey levens
-Edgar bennett
-Ahman green
-Ryan Grant

and now promising Lacy and franklin.
Who said anything about 12 years ago? The Clifton, Wahle, Rivera, Flannagan, Tauscher line was the best in the NFL for years. But who were the great receivers back then (please don't talk about the 15 minutes Favre had Sharp to throw to)?Where was the defense in the mid to late Favre years? Where was the oline for AR? Where are the RBs for AR(sorry the "promising" Lacy and Franklin 7 years into AR don't cut it for me anymore than the promising Gado did)? Where's the D for AR. Ron Wolf is man enough to admit that he wishes he did more to provide a supporting cast.

Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett? That was a joke right? Those guys were average at best, running behind one of the greatest Olines of this century. Ryan Grant, you can't be serious. Another average at best RB. What did he do after his "great" years with the Packers? Green is legit (although he had a habit of being able to find the perfect moments to fumble in many games), but we're talking about ONE significantly above average RB in over 25 years.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We've had 20+ years of arguably the best QBs in the NFL and we haven't given them a supporting cast often. .

You said 20+ years and not much of a supporting cast. Assumed you meant running game to "support" a passing game.
and all the guys I listed were more than "supporting" of a passing game. What do you want 20+ years of Adrian peterson type RB's and top notch QB's? Normally you don't get that.

By the way you sound, you want all the cake and want to eat it too.
You want the QB, the WR's, the RB's, the O line, the Defense to all be super stars? Thats the way you sound.
Let's just hire the entire NFC pro-bowl team, that might just be satisfying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
You said 20+ years and not much of a supporting cast. Assumed you meant running game to "support" a passing game.
and all the guys I listed were more than "supporting" of a passing game. What do you want 20+ years of Adrian peterson type RB's and top notch QB's? Normally you don't get that.
There may be a scosh of a difference between Bennett/Leven/Grant and Peterson, but we can differ about that. Can you give me an example of "20+ minutes of an Adrian Peterson type RB" that we've had in the past 25 years?

You bring up the straw man of Peterson and Favre/Rodgers. I'd like to think that there may have been one or two RBs in the last 25 years that were better than Dorsey Levens, yet worse than Peterson. I'd also like to think that there were wide receivers better than Antonio Freeman, yet worse than Jerry Rice. I do however feel comfortable thinking that there are tackles better than Allan Barbre, yet worse than Joe Thomas. I guess I'm a dreamer.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Not every guy drafted can be an all star, c'mon man. With a pass first offense, all you need is a average to slightly above average RB. We HAVE had those guys. We have had a damn good cast of WR's in the past 20+ years for Favre and Arod to pass to. We have had plenty of big names on defense as well. Having all those at one time is hard for any team to ever acheive.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
Not every guy drafted can be an all star, c'mon man. With a pass first offense, all you need is a average to slightly above average RB. We HAVE had those guys. We have had a damn good cast of WR's in the past 20+ years for Favre and Arod to pass to. We have had plenty of big names on defense as well. Having all those at one time is hard for any team to ever acheive.
Not trying parse this too much but who are these RBs and WRs that you speak of. I granted (pun intended) you Green, but everyone else was just a body in a uniform. AR had no line, BF did. AR has WR, BF did not, neither had a above average D. We've exhausted where we can go with our RB discussion, but what about WR. Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks, Don Beebe, Javon Walker. Please. BF had Sterling Sharpe for 20 minutes at the end of his career and Greg Jennings for 20 minutes at the end of BF's tenure. In between he made a lot of very average WR get some big numbers. I'm not so sure that's not the case with AR. Jones and Cobb have looked very pedestrian at times. Nelson is a possession stud but not the deep threat that most people associate with prime time WR. Driver, blue collar, very durable, certainly above average, but in no way an elite WR. So who is this "damn good cast of WRs in the past 20+ years"? I come up with Jennings and Nelson.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"TROLL! Everyone on the roster should be an all-pro at every position! If any of them sign elsewhere then that's TT's fault! TROLL! We have a lot more strengths than weaknesses as evidenced by our record over the last four years but I have to ignore that to get attention! TROLL TROLL"!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
YPG given up 98 -2007: 11th, 21st, 14th, 5th, 12th, 11th, 13th, 23rd, 20th, 26th. We broke the top ten once. I'd call that pretty average.

I think these 3 season should be included in your assessment

1996 Super Bowl Champions
Allowed 210 points (13.1/g), 1st.

1997 NFC Champions
Allowed 282 points (17.6/g), 5th.

1995 NFC Central Division
Allowed 314 points (19.6/g), 4th.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

Reaction score
I think these 3 season should be included in your assessment

1996 Super Bowl Champions
Allowed 210 points (13.1/g), 1st.

1997 NFC Champions
Allowed 282 points (17.6/g), 5th.

1995 NFC Central Division
Allowed 314 points (19.6/g), 4th.
That's my point. BF in his prime and AR in his prime, we're on top of the world. You have to take advantage of it. What did the pack do after superbowl XXXI and XLV (so far). I don't want to see a repeat of the decline. AR is in his prime now. The rest of his career may/will be on the downslope of that. So what have we done to keep the drive alive? I'd say little. He spends more time on his *** than any other QB in football (based on sacks the last two years), our defense is terrible, and we don't have a running game (high hopes for Lacy, but its just hope at this point) to take pressure off him passing. I like rose colored glasses as much as the next guy, but I'll go with Ron Wolf, who said he wished he'd done more to surround BF with better talent. I don't want to read TT's memoirs saying the same thing about AR.

Members online

Latest posts