Is Rodgers taking too long to get the ball out?

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see this offensive slump as just an O-line problem. Time and time again at Minnesota, I felt Aaron Rodgers just wasn't getting the ball out quickly, even if it was to chuck it out of bounds instead of taking the sack. I hope this isn't turning into a confidence issue with him unwilling to take a chance when he's a little off balance or not getting 5 seconds to go through his reads.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO yes. There were a couple of times last game the sack was on him. But nobody was expecting him to play perfectly, he's young. It's his biggest flaw, not throwing to the checkdown receiver when he's open.

But you have to take into account that the line isn't holding enough for him to be slighly confortable in the pocket, and up until last game the forementioned checkdown receiver was dropping balls like crazy, be him James Jones, Ryang Grant, DeShawn Wynn or whoever. And if the line holds a bit longer, Jennings and Driver are bound to break from their coverage and make the big play. So he holds the ball for them to break.

Bottom line, you cannot credit 20 sacks on the QB. Big Ben holds the ball longer than any other Qb in the NFL and has taken less sacks than Rodgers.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I see it is that the receivers are all running deep routes instead of short, quick ones so Rogers cannot be blamed for all of this. Waiting for the deep routes to develop all the time will cause the pressure to increase on the front line. They can't hold them back forever...however, I do think the O-Line is underachieving. It's more of a combination of several factors.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Also there was one play where Rogers tried to look for the checkdown reciever, i think it was Lee but can't be sure, and the reciever wasn't even looking at Rogers. So Rogers tried to find another option and got railed. So its not just the Oline, nor is it jjust Roger's fault when the Oline does make some stands.

billysofly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes... i do not see grant doing much as a check down and also driver seems to be the only one running short pass route i guess since they are mostly not leading... rodger got a do something.... i think it would be different if they got a run game

paco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a combination of everything. Poor pass protection, poor running game, poor route running, poor decision making by Rodgers, and poor play calling.

But I think if the O-line gets itself together, everything else will fall into place. Every QB needs at least 2 seconds to throw the ball. Rodgers is running for his life right away.

as for the short routes... Grant, Finley, and Lee are being asked to stay back as blockers too much. That gets rid of your usual short route candidates. Defenses know that we don't have the time to throw the deep ball, so they clog the middle and everything withing 5-10 yards. At that point, you have very few options. Throw it away, take a sack, or risk a crappy throw downfield.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how this can be blamed on Rodgers at all. Give the guy time to throw and he will be great. I like the fact that he is smart with the ball, Favre would have a lot more than one pick for the year if the was still starting for the Pack with this O-line in front of him. Rodgers has taken a beating and keeps on fighting. Look at the last game, Favre never had anyone in his face (not due to his blazing speed) and had all day to scan the field some times 2 or 3 times. The O-line is the problem, the lack of a running game for the most part is another. I hope this mess gets fixed before the season is wasted. I have been a TT supporter, but I am starting to doubt his thinking. This team is a super bowl contender if they can fix the o-line and boost the running game. He needs to make the moves to fix the holes. I know that he does not like to trade, but this team needs help FAST.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OhioFan, from what I remember, there were about 3 or 4 times where Rodgers just kept holding onto the ball and took the sack. His awareness just isn't there yet. I thought he had some pretty good time those 3 or 4 times too from my memory. The Vikes got 2 points due to Rodgers holding on to it for too long. Jared Allen had to move around a lot in order to sack him. He didn't instantly just get him. We need more then a better O-Line and running game. We need more aggressive linebackers and a secondary who knows how to cover guys on critical downs.

BUDW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sack better than INT

Hes doing fine, its the OL that cant do their job.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may be holding onto the ball a little long on a rare play compared to what many fans are used to with Favre. When the pressure came, Favre would throw it up for grabs. I would rather have a sack than a pick, I do not like the fumbles that Rodgers has had; but I am sure he is not happy either and what more can he do, he is a QB, not a Sumo wrestler. Rodgers is over matched when a few big brutes pile on him, the same as all other QB's are ( even J. Russell from the Raiders has trouble and he is a big dude.)

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Aaron can be indecisive, but he's always been like this. He does a good job of stepping up or away from pressure, but that's the point where he needs to fire the ball in for a completion, or throw it out of bounds. He has a habit of moving around only to fall into the arms of a D-lineman.

Rodgers is a pocket passer, so he is excellent with a pocket. I'm not sure he can ever learn to become more decisive when a play breaks down - I believe improvising is a trait that you either have or don't have.

So, now that TT understands that his boy toy needs a legitimate O-line, let's hope he follows thru and builds a solid line FAST.

Members online

Latest posts