Is Peppers a good signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was somewhat surprised that TT chose to sign Peppers. At age 34, and coming off a down season, I am unsure as to how I feel about the signing. While he has historically been a great pass rusher, can he remain solid for three years? Up till age 37? How much does he really improve the defense? I have mixed feelings about the move.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't look at this as a 3 year contract. I look at this as a 1 year, $8.5M deal with team options for 2 years after that. That is a good deal with little long-term risk. The $5M cap hit next year hurts if he's cut, but that's the reason that the cap number is a deceivingly low $3.5M. Since they can carry over cap room to next year, they can just as easily look at this as $8.5M this year with no cap hit next year and roll over an extra $5M to next year's cap, if they so wish.

People tend to forget that this isn't like MLB at all. Contracts are routinely signed with no real intention of them being completed in their entirety. If Peppers is going to see the 2nd year of the contract, he'll have to be playing like a $12M dollar player. I wish the $10.5M was in the second year and $12M in the third year, but it's manageable either way if he's earning it, and if not, it's not going to be devastating to send him out.

Also 7.5 sacks is only a "down year" by Peppers' standards, that still would have let our team. I think he'll wind up with 10-12 sacks if healthy and probably help Matthews as well.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't look at this as a 3 year contract. I look at this as a 1 year, $8.5M deal with team options for 2 years after that. That is a good deal with little long-term risk. The $5M cap hit next year hurts if he's cut, but that's the reason that the cap number is a deceivingly low $3.5M. Since they can carry over cap room to next year, they can just as easily look at this as $8.5M this year with no cap hit next year and roll over an extra $5M to next year's cap, if they so wish.

People tend to forget that this isn't like MLB at all. Contracts are routinely signed with no real intention of them being completed in their entirety. If Peppers is going to see the 2nd year of the contract, he'll have to be playing like a $12M dollar player. I wish the $10.5M was in the second year and $12M in the third year, but it's manageable either way if he's earning it, and if not, it's not going to be devastating to send him out.

Also 7.5 sacks is only a "down year" by Peppers' standards, that still would have let our team. I think he'll wind up with 10-12 sacks if healthy and probably help Matthews as well.

It's very, very low risk with high reward. Peppers could be used similar to Justin Smith. Both are "undersized" to be a traditional 3-4 defensive end, but have freakish athletic ability. The sacks should be there for him while also opening up lanes for Matthews.

The contract is a win-win too. If Peppers has a great 2014 season, the Packers have a "club option" for 2015. Nothing is guaranteed past the first year.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I had read is its basically a one year deal...highly unlikely they pay him that much next year.our am I wrong?

Also...had anyone even heard that the packers were interested in Peppers before he was signed?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I was somewhat surprised that TT chose to sign Peppers. At age 34, and coming off a down season, I am unsure as to how I feel about the signing. While he has historically been a great pass rusher, can he remain solid for three years? Up till age 37? How much does he really improve the defense? I have mixed feelings about the move.
And you couldn't find an existing thread on Peppers???????????

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
2 days he has been signed, there has to be at least ONE thread on Peppers

there is a sticky on Peppers, post your thoughts there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts